• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

battle of the australian batting capitulations (2010s)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's one year since the worst ever day in test cricket history and Australia has marked the occasion with yet another batting capitulation. Indeed Australia has spent the entire decade collapsing and failing. Our very first innings in the 2010s led to us getting rolled for 127 against Pakistan and baby we haven't stopped since then. At this point we've got a truly excellent selection of **** batting, so why not have a classic cricketweb battle?

Much like an Australian batsman, I haven't actually worked out what I plan to do, but I figure we can get a very good group of 16 absolutely bewildering performances, maybe even 32 if we throw in ODI's/T20's, and run them off against each other.

here are my starting nominations

Cape Town 2011, 2nd innings, 47
Nottingham 2015, 1st innings, 60
Leeds 2010, 1st innings, 88
Boxing Day 2010, 1st innings 98
Galle 2016, 1st innings 106
SCG 2010, 1st innings 127
Lord's 2013, 1st innings 128
Hyderabad 2013, 2nd innings 131
Hobart 2011, 1st innings 136
Edgbaston 2015, 1st innings 136
Perth 2013, 1st innings 163
Galle 2016, 2nd innings 183
Mohali 2010, 2nd innings 192
Port Elizabeth 2014, 2nd innings 216
Durham 2013, 2nd innings 224
Hobart 2011, 2nd innings 233
Adelaide 2010, 1st innings 245
Edgbaston 2015, 2nd innings 265
Trent Bridge, 1st innings 280

Its important to know I just made my way down this list, throwing in the other innings in the match where relevant, before I had done too much work and got bored. I haven't even made it past 136 yet.

Please put in your suggestions and feedback over whether to extend to 32/include coloured clothing

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good intent shown from Spikey here

Add in Durham second innings 2013.

Also Oval first innings 2009. I fell it's the Genesis of the story

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good intent shown from Spikey here

Add in Durham second innings 2013.

Also Oval first innings 2009. I fell it's the Genesis of the story
Couple of shockers against the West Indies in 2009 as well. Pretty sure in one of the Tests they had the option of enforcing the follow on, didn't, and got rolled for 150 or so and ended up only winning by something like 30 runs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Keep it in white clothing as well. No-one cares about ODI collapses except to laugh at South Africa.

91Jmay

International Coach
What about the Windies game they declared behind and nearly lost chasing a low score? Was that a collapse I can't really remember

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What about the Windies game they declared behind and nearly lost chasing a low score? Was that a collapse I can't really remember
I think that was more 'tricky chase in hard conditions', I think they just consistently got partnerships over the course of the innings.

Although speaking of the Windies did they not end up 18/5 in 2008 before a Symonds rescue job?

91Jmay

International Coach
Fair enough on Windies one. I remember the Lords 2013 one being particularly terrible because of a comedy run out and Swann on a flat pitch being made to look like Murali at Galle

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair enough on Windies one. I remember the Lords 2013 one being particularly terrible because of a comedy run out and Swann on a flat pitch being made to look like Murali at Galle
Was it also that test where Swann got Rogers lbw with what was practically a beamer, and Rogers was too embarrassed to review (+Watto had already used one?) and it turned out it was high and wide?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was it also that test where Swann got Rogers lbw with what was practically a beamer, and Rogers was too embarrassed to review (+Watto had already used one?) and it turned out it was high and wide?
Yes

Most of these are cases of dodgy batting being taken advantage of by a fantastic bowling effort but the 2nd session of the 2nd day of Lord's 2013 is honestly just the worst quality test batting I've ever seen

Clarke got a good one but those first 3 wickets... jesus

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yep was that innings was the second wicket in the lolapse I think. Buck also left an arm ball to be bowled second dig. Not high quality batting.

If I remember Clarke ran down pitch and Prior missed stumping and Khawaja was dropped before being caught as well

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
The final with ultimately come down to which moment has greater #intent

is it the challenger

or the reigning champion

Top_Cat

Genuinely unpredictable winner. In a list where the side got rolled for less than 50, quite a feat.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I actually think Boxing Day 2010 was worse in a way because it wasn't really an extreme collapse where one team just gets on a roll in helpful conditions, Melbourne was just consistently inept batting. They even got a rain break and still batted terribly.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Nottingham deserves a whole plinth of its own away from the rest, was just pure joy and elation from start to finish.

But Hobart 2011 2nd innings was just the worst though. 3/159 then to screw the pooch like that, then the keks that followed by Warner being given the MOM over Bracewell. Funny enough its still his best knock to date imo.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think Boxing Day 2010 was worse in a way because it wasn't really an extreme collapse where one team just gets on a roll in helpful conditions, Melbourne was just consistently inept batting. They even got a rain break and still batted terribly.
Yeah this one wins hands down for me. At their own "home of cricket" with 90K there to witness it........doesn't get any worse than that.

Zinzan

Haha, was expecting a thread like this....

Nottingham or Boxing Day 2010