• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Limited Overs All-rounder of all time, tournament/voting thread

smash84

The Tiger King
On the other hand , Symonds fits perfectly as one-day allrounder..explosive batting at a crucial position..btw his famous innings against Pak in 2003 was a "builder" one..5-10 overs of bowling and depending on the pitch spin or pace and finally as a fielder of high quality with ability to take great catches and a rocket arm..I will take Symonds..

I am a fan of Steve Waugh ..How in the world Shakib won that round? His record is better because of minnow bashing. no?
Waugh's bowling gave out less than halfway through his career. No way he would beat shakib. Shakib is a pretty gun ODI all rounder. Just because he's in a ****e team doesn't mean he himself isn't quality

smash84

The Tiger King
Symonds was a filler in the bowling department. He shouldn't be in the all-rounders discussion. He could have been in the batting discussion.

The likes of Cronje and Steve Waugh were better ODI bowlers than Symonds imo.
I don't know about this. Symonds was pretty much in the same ballpark as these guys in his bowling

viriya

International Captain
Waugh's bowling gave out less than halfway through his career. No way he would beat shakib. Shakib is a pretty gun ODI all rounder. Just because he's in a ****e team doesn't mean he himself isn't quality
He must be trolling if he thinks Waugh > Shakib as an ODI all-rounder. Shakib has a genuine argument for the GOAT and Waugh is not even part of that conversation.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So your argument for bowling is that SR and Econ are more important, and Kallis does better on both in addition to being more of a wicket taker, so you pick... Symonds? ook
And apparently #3 is less important than #5/#6 now? News to me. Just because you need a finisher doesn't mean you don't need a builder.

imo Kallis is a class above Symonds as an all-rounder. He made double the runs + wickets, had 5 50 run + 3 wkt matches vs 0 for Symonds.. it's really not even close:
cricrate | Jacques Kallis vs Andrew Symonds - ODI All-Round
ffs

Red

Symonds was a filler in the bowling department. He shouldn't be in the all-rounders discussion. He could have been in the batting discussion.

The likes of Cronje and Steve Waugh were better ODI bowlers than Symonds imo.
he bowled roughly the same amount of overs per ODI as did Kallis…so I guess Kallis should be out too?

viriya

International Captain
he bowled roughly the same amount of overs per ODI as did Kallis…so I guess Kallis should be out too?
Except that he was more expensive and didn't take wickets as often and did that for half the time, Symonds and Kallis are similar in terms of bowling.

/s

smash84

The Tiger King
He must be trolling if he thinks Waugh > Shakib as an ODI all-rounder. Shakib has a genuine argument for the GOAT and Waugh is not even part of that conversation.
I wouldn't go that far. He's good but I would definitely put him below Kallis, Imran, Kapil, off the top of my mind

viriya

International Captain
I wouldn't go that far. He's good but I would definitely put him below Kallis, Imran, Kapil, off the top of my mind
Look at his ODI record. Genuine all-rounder that could be selected as a batsman or bowler. 37-28 is a great average combo.

smash84

The Tiger King
Look at his ODI record. Genuine all-rounder that could be selected as a batsman or bowler. 37-28 is a great average combo.
yeah but I don't think he's very good away from home. I remember him looking pretty toothless while bowling especially. Although to be fair I don't follow bangers that much.

smash84

The Tiger King
Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
voting closes in an hour:

Imran leads 17-0
Freddie leads 16-1
Watto leads 13-3
Kallis leads 9-8

Harris leads 13-5
Klusener leads 9-8
Viv leads 15-1
Dev leads 16-0

viriya

International Captain
Jacob Oram vs Imran Khan
Carl Hooper vs Andrew Flintoff
Shakib Al-Hasan vs Shane Watson
Andrew Symonds vs Jacques Kallis

Chris Harris vs Heath Streak
Lance Klusener vs Sanath Jayasuriya
Greg Chappell vs Viv Richards
Kapil Dev vs Abdul Razzaq

viriya

International Captain
here's the stats for Imran and him away from home. Imran is pretty consistent in both batting and bowling.

Shakib as expected falls away in the bowling.

All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Edit: Adding Kapil to the mix as well, he's also pretty consistent home and away.
If you take out neutral the consistency falls off. I'd guess it's cos Sharjah was like a home away from home. Shakib doing better with the ball at home isn't surprising as a spinner imo. Generally splitting home-away for ODIs doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

Red

Except that he was more expensive and didn't take wickets as often and did that for half the time, Symonds and Kallis are similar in terms of bowling.

/s
So if Kallis and Symonds are similar in terms of bowling, then Symonds is the better all rounder by far….correct?

Red

Their economy rates were pretty much identical, which is what really counts when you're looking at a 5th bowler.

And Symonds was a significantly better ODI bat than Kallis was.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Their economy rates were pretty much identical, which is what really counts when you're looking at a 5th bowler.

And Symonds was a significantly better ODI bat than Kallis was.
Emphatically disagree with both statements.

Taking wickets is the most important job for any bowler. And while similar economy rates, Kallis is still better. Regarding the batting, Kallis is better in every way except in SR. Thus your entire premise is that Symonds was better because he had a better SR.

Kallis always gets hammered because of his SR. Context however is important. The entire SA team was built around Kallis for a good ten years because it was not until the late 2000`s that we started getting players of the calibre of Smith, Amla and AB. Symonds played in a team with Hayden, Gilchrist, Pointing Waugh. If he failed there where plenty of other players to pick up the slack. Not so with Kallis for most of his career. That tends to make players a bit more cautious.

smash84

The Tiger King
If you take out neutral the consistency falls off. I'd guess it's cos Sharjah was like a home away from home. Shakib doing better with the ball at home isn't surprising as a spinner imo. Generally splitting home-away for ODIs doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
Of course it doesn't. It goes against your argument :p