• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"200 Tests or less" Draft

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barry Richards
Jack Hobbs
Stewie Dempster
Vijay Hazare
Keith Miller (1) *
Albert Trott (5)
James Faulkner (4)
Warren Hegg +
Chuck Fleetwood Smith (6)
Mohammad Nissar (3)
Bill Bowes (2)

Loads of bowling options, a very top heavy batting order, though the three all-rounders could/can all bat well on their day

watson

Banned
May as well close my team out.........

Last pick is Tom Goddard who averaged 26.72 in the 8 Tests that he played. But unfortunately for Goddard the prime of his career coincided with the great Hedley Verity.

However, it's the 4 pronged pace attack of Procter - Adcock - Clarke - Gilmour that is really the teams highlight. The middle order from McCabe to Clarke has a ton of depth to it (all centurions in FC cricket) and the openers are classy enough, but it's the quicks that would probably give the most headaches to the opposing team. Especially as they are lead by Bacher, and supported by Lindsay.

01. Allan Rae
02. Cyril Walters
03. Stan McCabe [6]
04. Dudley Nourse
05. Aron 'Ali' Bacher *
06. Denis Lindsay +
07. Mike Procter [1]
08. Garry Gilmour [4]
09. Sylvester Clarke [3]
10. Tom Goddard [5]
11. Neil Adcock [2]

Tom Goddard: Fifth highest wicket-taker in First-Class history

......It was, however, as an off-spinner, that Goddard rose to heights head and shoulders above his peers. The palm was so large that the ball hid completely inside it; and his powerful, very long fingers and supple wrists ensured that he could give the ball a serious tweak that was almost audible.

Goddard’s mastery over length and flight were legendary, making it almost impossible for batsmen to score off him even on a featherbed. He could make the ball turn by the proverbial mile, which, in a combination with his accuracy, made him virtually unplayable if the pitch provided him with some assistance....

Goddard’s off-breaks (and fast bowling in his earlier days) fetched him 2,979 wickets at 19.84 from 593 First-Class matches. This puts him fifth on the all-time wickets tally.....With six hat-tricks, he is joint second (with Parker) in history after Doug Wright.

Tom Goddard: Fifth highest wicket-taker in First-Class history - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Aldo XI

01. Herbie Collins
02. Arthur Shrewsbury snr*
03. Gary Ballance
04. Keith Rigg
05. Michael Bevan [6]
06. Andrew Symonds [5]
07. Jos Buttller+
08. Bert Vogler [4]
09. Mohammed Asif [3]
10. Fred Spofforth [2]
11. Harold Larwood [1]

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
AldoRaine18 might want to pick him (I'd be surprised, looking at his team so far, but it's not inconceivable).

More to the point, I've miscounted somewhere, and you've only got 14 Tests left to use. Sorry, my fault.
Mohammed Amir then.

Raw Deal XI, with FC record

1. Archie MacLaren - 22236 runs at 34.15, 47 hundreds
2. Phil Jacques - 16035 runs at 48.29, 44 hundreds
3. Jack Ryder - 10501 runs at 44.30, 24 hundreds. 238 FC wickets at 29.68, 9 five-fors
4. Douglas Jardine - 14848 runs at 46.83, 35 hundreds
5. Adam Voges - 12417 runs at 48.12, 31 hundreds
6. Dinesh Chandimal - 5469 runs at 51.59, 15 hundreds
7. Allan Steel - 7000 runs at 29.41, 8 hundreds, 789 wickets at 14.78, 64 five-fors
8. Bobby Peel - 12191 runs at 19.44, 7 hundreds, 1775 wickets at 16.20, 123 five-fors
9. George Lohmann - 7247 runs at 18.67, 3 hundreds, 1841 wickets at 13.73, 176 five-fors
10. Mohammed Amir - 136 wickets at 20.70, 8 five-fors
11. Jack Cowie - 359 wickets at 22.28, 20 five-fors

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Since you can never have too many Northamptonshire openers whose careers were cut short by a car accident in your team, I'll complete the draft with Fred Bakewell (6 tests).

Colin Milburn - 654 @ 46.71
Fred Bakewell - 409 @ 45.44
*Eddie Barlow - 2516 @ 45.74, 40 wickets at 34.05
Aubrey Faulkner - 1754 @ 40.79, 82 wickets at 26.58
Joe Hardstaff jr - 1636 @ 46.74
Tip Foster - 602 @ 46.30
Frank Foster - 330 @ 23.57, 45 wickets at 20.57
+James Foster - 226 @ 25.11, 17c 1s
Alan Davidson - 1328 @ 24.59, 186 wickets at 20.53
Bob Appleyard - 51 @ 17.00, 31 wickets at 17.87
Colin Croft - 158 @ 10.53, 125 wickets at 23.30

Maybe lacking in star batsmen, but it's a pretty destructive batting line-up right down to 9, and Croft (RF), Davidson (LFM), Foster (LFM), Appleyard (RFM/OB), Faulkner (LBG), Barlow (RM) is a nicely varied bowling attack.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Thanks to everyone for taking part in this draft, hope you enjoyed it... I've now posted the draft vote poll, so please pick your three favourites.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Just wanted to give an update for the team -

Aussie opening pair of Bill Ponsford and Usman Khawaja would be good against the new ball. One down is the star of the team, captain George Headley. Following him is a royal Indian lineup of Duleepsinhji and CK Nayudu. Anyone who knows Indian Cricket history would know that Nayudu was an amazing batsman, someone whose talent was much better than what his Test record suggests. They are followed by Tom Moody, the useful Aussie all-rounder who would be the 5th seamer. The batting is rounded up by the young Quinton de Kock who'd play a Gilchrist role. The Bowling is led by by Charlie Griffith and Ryan Harris, with first change being the very talented Kagiso Rabada. Spin being provided by Subhash Gupte, one of India's finest.

I think it's a decent mix of Aussie, South African and Indian talent, with a WI quick.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI
Vijay Merchant
Pieter van der Bijl
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Steve Smith *
Tim Paine +
Eldine Baptiste (5)
Tich Freeman (4)
Len Pascoe (1)
Pat Cummins (3)
JJ Ferris (2)

I'd intended on selecting the three Ws in the middle order after being economical in the opening rounds but someone beat me to Worrell, so I went with Smith instead. The strength of this team is the powerful middle order (Walcott, Weekes and Smith), who are capable of taking a game away from the opposition quickly. The opening pair features the obdurate VanDerBijl and the very underrated Merchant, who has an excellent test record and an elite FC record. The pace is provided by Pascoe and Cummins, while Ferris will swing it around. Tich Freeman provides the leggies, while Baptiste takes on the all rounder role. Tim Paine is a very good keeper and a very handy batsman, and I'd have liked to have seen him play more tests. Wouldn't be easy to beat by any means.