• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Announces Comeback

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sad that 'marketing ability' is considered more important for the selection of a T20 player than actually being any good at T20 cricket.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have always thought I would like to see more players play in the lower leagues for some years after international retirement. So am for this. But it seems he might be doing this with a view towards bigger ambitions, and that's weird.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't be silly. Most IPL clubs would want him (they love golden boy Australians) and BBL clubs will fall over themselves wanting to recruit him. Massive marketing ability.
I highly doubt that. IPL didn't care much for Lara back when he attempted a comeback around 09.

They released KP who is actually performing in T20.

cnerd123

likes this
Sad that 'marketing ability' is considered more important for the selection of a T20 player than actually being any good at T20 cricket.
Especially give we have marketing majors to do that job for us. Let them worry about things like 'brand image' and let the cricketers just focus on the cricket IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
i mean i have no problem with him playing shield cricket and i guess bbl, but there is absolutely no way he should be considered in tests now that we've definitively decided to move on.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Especially give we have marketing majors to do that job for us. Let them worry about things like 'brand image' and let the cricketers just focus on the cricket IMO.
The major marketing for cricket should be for the chance to come and watch players play cricket at an extremely high level of skill.

Otherwise we might as well put Mike Tyson in the BBL.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A more realistic comp for Clarke is the horoscope masters tournament taking place right now.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The major marketing for cricket should be for the chance to come and watch players play cricket at an extremely high level of skill.

Otherwise we might as well put Mike Tyson in the BBL.
Clarke is a cricketer with an extremely high level of skill, isn't he?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Since when is Michael Clarke considered a drawcard for T20's? lol.. maybe in Australia, but I can't see any IPL team going for him because he can pull people in, terrible T20 player as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have a look at his T20 record
Meeeeh. Beyond T20I and the IPL did he even play any t20 matches?

He's clearly not going to be the best on the world but to count Clarke out as a player if he took the format seriously at the BBL or IPL level is silly. He's a top class player and there is every chance he could adapt.

cnerd123

likes this
Also because Clarke is mediocre doesn't mean there is no place for him. There are dozens of mediocre batsmen in T20 leagues all across the planet. If I had to pick between them or Clarke I'd pick Clarke in a heartbeat.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also because Clarke is mediocre doesn't mean there is no place for him. There are dozens of mediocre batsmen in T20 leagues all across the planet. If I had to pick between them or Clarke I'd pick Clarke in a heartbeat.
You'd have to pay Clarke a lot more though

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The stupidity here is staggering. There is a marked difference between Clarke's skill level and the skill level of some guys getting franchise T20 games. If people think he wouldn't be an asset they're wrong.