• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides another one, the greatest All-Rounder ever. 32 players, Nomination thread!

cnerd123

likes this
I'd second Faulker and Jessop.

I'd also nominate the following 8 (possibly repeating people I nominated before):

Learie Constantine
Monty Noble
Mushtaq Mohammed
Wilfred Rhodes
Mike Procter
Clive Rice
Eddie Barlow
John Reid

Hammond, Wooley, Worrell all don't strike me as 'all-round' enough to be allrounders. More like batsmen who bowled.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rhodes and Procter(I think) are already in just fyi

That's probably enough for Learie and Faulkner to get in
Rice and Steve Waugh only need 1 more nom as does Jessop

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll second all of *****'s guys not already in (so Noble, Mohammad, Rice, Barlow, Reid) and Jessop. Don't think Waugh bowled enough.

mr_mister

brah he bowled us to a world cup
and batted us to another but thats another story

anyway.... didnt he popularise the slower ball?(or re-popularise? Or invent a new way of bowling it?) I dont like making big claims coz i'm pretty ignorant to cricket history before my time but I also thought he perfected the art of late over restrictive bowling in LO cricket

maybe ive read too many waugh books there are a lot of them

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This seems an awfully long process just to get to the point of declaring Freddie the winner. Still, as long as you're all having fun.

mr_mister

If Vaas is getting in as an allrounder I'll place nominations for Des Lynam and Victoria Beckham.

He started getting fifties regularly by the end of his career. And if we lower that to 30+ scores it was probably every other game. Not saying it Vettori levels of bat improvement but it was impressive to me

I don't know how to do it but I'd like to see his batting average from the second half of his career. It shot up from 17 to 25 from tests 56 to 110 so it's safe to say he averaged around 30 for his last 56 tests? not bad imo

Last edited:

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Only one Australia in the 21 so far, given Australia's Test dominance it is an interesting stat....

Doug Walters
Richie Benaud
Monty Noble
Steve Waugh

smash84

The Tiger King
Only one Australia in the 21 so far, given Australia's Test dominance it is an interesting stat....

Doug Walters
Richie Benaud
Monty Noble
Steve Waugh
if we're having the likes of doug walters and steve waugh and sharminda vaas considered, we might as well consider Alan Davidson

mr_mister

oh poor sanath hasnt got enough noms yet should probs rectify that

and i dunno why people are scoffing at Waugh so much. Wasn't his original nickname(before Tugga) Iceman because of his death bowling?

mr_mister

Qualified:

Imran
Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Miller
Kallis
Procter
Mankad
Flintoff
Grace
Kapil
Wilfred Rhodes
S Pollock
Chris Cairns
Dan Vettori
Klusener
Greig
Wasim
Hammond
Heath Streak
Shakib Al Hasan
Aubrey Faulkner
Clive Rice
Gilbert Jessop
Sanath Jayasuriya
learie Constantine
Steve Waugh..

27 in, 5 to go

Last edited:

mr_mister

4 of Waugh's nominations were mine but oh well this is taking ages to fill up.

Does Watto deserve a spot over Steve Waugh?

cnerd123

likes this
oh poor sanath hasnt got enough noms yet should probs rectify that

and i dunno why people are scoffing at Waugh so much. Wasn't his original nickname(before Tugga) Iceman because of his death bowling?
Batting allrounder IMO. Quite a lot of cricketers either started off excelling in a second skill only to fade away, or honed their second skill over time to be useful. Usually its batsmen who can bowl eventually giving up bowling or bowlers who can bat getting better and better at it. Its so common that I think most of us won't regard such players as 'allrounders' unless they were contributing significantly with both over the same period of time, or atleast contributed very significantly in each af different phases in their career.

It is why guys like Imran, Rhodes, Sanga, McCullum cop criticisim when their names pop up in allrounder discussions, even if their overall stats look great and their peak abilities in each discipline was quite high.

watson

Banned
It will be interesting to see which type of all-rounder people put a premium on as this might determine who wins overall......

Batting allrounder (top 6 batsman) - eg. Sobers, Kallis, Grace
Bowling allrounder (bats 7 or 8) - eg. Imran, Hadlee, Kapil Dev
Balanced allrounder (top 6 batsman and front-line bowler) - eg. Miller, Botham, Faulkner

Last edited: