• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As long as they look after him better and don't bowl him into the ground in every game/series and then expect him to play all the shorter formats then he will be a certainty to get there. I worry about the workload they shove on him all the time. Hope I am wrong as he is a wonderful bowler and a pleasure to watch.
I guess one of the benefits he'll have in that respect, is that South Africa's schedule is pretty light for a top Test nation. They're playing, what, around 4-5 less Tests per year than England?

listento_me

U19 Captain
I guess one of the benefits he'll have in that respect, is that South Africa's schedule is pretty light for a top Test nation. They're playing, what, around 4-5 less Tests per year than England?
True but it also makes me laugh that modern fans AND players complain about schedules yet the great players of the mid-80s to the early to mid-00s all played across multiple formats. That constituted their careers.

Modern great players are sacrificing time in the shorter format to prolong test careers and in some cases, don't even have much of an ODI career to talk about.

listento_me

U19 Captain
^The number of games played at that time was nowhere near the number of games played now.
Erm no, this just isn't true. Most of the legends throughout the time period I listed, especially those who played continuously throughout the 90s had more ODI games than the likes of Steyn, Jimmy and so on do today.

this whole idea that players are playing more cricket in the modern era is a load of rubbish. Like Beefy once said (not often I agree with him) but they'd play tests across the week, drive down to their counties, play a game for them and then a warm up and then drive back up for the next test. It wasn't just in England either.

I feel top test players are so well protected now. They have central contracts, get shielded from many ODIs and T20s and make sporadic appearances, all the while making a regular living off those central contracts and then spend a fortnight playing t20 cricket for laughs (andl ots of money) across the UAE, Caribbean and India. Oh what a tough existence.

DriveClub

International Regular
Erm no, this just isn't true. Most of the legends throughout the time period I listed, especially those who played continuously throughout the 90s had more ODI games than the likes of Steyn, Jimmy and so on do today.

this whole idea that players are playing more cricket in the modern era is a load of rubbish. Like Beefy once said (not often I agree with him) but they'd play tests across the week, drive down to their counties, play a game for them and then a warm up and then drive back up for the next test. It wasn't just in England either.

I feel top test players are so well protected now. They have central contracts, get shielded from many ODIs and T20s and make sporadic appearances, all the while making a regular living off those central contracts and then spend a fortnight playing t20 cricket for laughs (andl ots of money) across the UAE, Caribbean and India. Oh what a tough existence.
What a load of crap, cricketers are playing more cricket than ever before especially if you're a core player of your team in all formats.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

If you actually compare the number of international games played in the 90s with the last 10 years, the figures for the last 10 years are way higher (7 players played 250+ games in the 1990s, with Tendulkar (297) playing most; 8 players have played 300+ games in the last 10 years, and another 14 have played 250-300), but it's an awkward comparison because of T20s.

Maybe a fairer comparison is the number of overs bowled; the top 10 in the 90s:

4991: Warne
4680: Kumble
4060: Wasim Akram
4039: Walsh
3879: Ambrose
3644: Muralitharan
3239: Donald
3238: Waqar Younis
3234: McGrath
3229: Srinath
(3 other bowlers - Mushtaq, Hooper, McDermott - in the range 2500-2830; then 7 more who bowled 2000-2300)

In the last 10 years (6 Nov 2006 to date):

5257: Anderson
4585: Broad
3954: Johnson
3711: Steyn
3668: Herath
3323: Swann
3310: Morkel
3243: Shakib al Hasan
3190: Harbhajan Singh
3170: Saeed Ajmal
(4 other bowlers in the range 2800-3100; Zaheer Khan bowled 2659; 6 more who bowled 2000-2360).

Pretty similar workloads, on the whole. (The figures for 2000-2009 are quite a bit higher; for 1980-1989 are much lower).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA have been especially lucky/blessed whatever you want to call it with our fast bowlers since readmission. For a quality of bowler like Rabada to come along and perform as well as he has, just when Steyn enters his twilight years has been fantastic for SA. Provided he has no serious injuries, he is going to be the head of the SA attack for the next 10 odd years.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was disappointed with how he bowled in England but he still somehow ended up with 16 wickets @28. I think it's a great sign that even in a series where he clearly wasn't at his best, he still did enough to end up with good figures.

Really badly want to see him and Steyn bowl together for atleast a few series

Reactions: vcs

SeamUp

International Coach
Sweet

Be even better to get Nel off that list and have Procter, van der Bijl and Le Roux there. (maybe even 1 or 2 others)

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Just a bit.

It all started in that craziest of crazy debut bowling performance vs Australia- bowling them out for 40-odd. It just didn't stop like it was supposed to. :D
Well, his first 50 wickets came at an average of 14.17 and a strike rate of 26.7, but his next 50 was at an average of 20.98 and a strike rate of 50.4 - positively ordinary. :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Well, his first 50 wickets came at an average of 14.17 and a strike rate of 26.7, but his next 50 was at an average of 20.98 and a strike rate of 50.4 - positively ordinary. :D
Jeez you making me froth at the mouth to see the fatty again !

Remember the last England series win how unlucky was and didn't get the wickets he deserved then basically bowled us to victory 2nd innings at Lords.

It was around then this thread was more regular : http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/61672-when-will-philander-average-20-a-13.html

FBU

International Debutant
Can't believe Rabada's workload. Since Jan 2016 he has played 60 international matches and bowled 933.3 overs. Also bowling at high speeds. 162 wickets!

Other SA bowlers

Morkel 459.1 (25 matches)
Philander 397.3 (14)
Morris 304.2 (35)
Steyn 105.2 (11)

Hazelwood 846.1
Amir 825.3
Boult 770.5

19 Tests 100 wickets 628.1 overs. Only Broad has played more Tests (21) in that time 690.5 overs 68 wickets.

I can remember Rabada getting any injuries but if he carries on like this it won't be long. Also played in the IPL.

FBU

International Debutant
The youngest 'bowler to take 100 wickets and the 4th fastest saffer to get there. His workload has been the issue but Ottis has spoke to Faf and i don't see Rabada getting the ball every time he asks for it, especially now that SA's premier bowlers, Steyn, Philander and Morkel will their return this summer. The timely return of Steyn will be good for Rabada. Steyn will take him under his wing and teach him patience, control, and unrelenting intensity.Rabadas management will be key through out his career. There will be bad days for Rabada but for the GREATS those bad days are few and far between and I predict Kagiso Rabada will become an ALL TIME GREAT.
Yes, without injuries I agree he will be an all time great. England/WI? have someone similar called Archer. Same age, fast, 6'3. Unfortunately he won't be playing for England for another 5 years.

I can't see all 4 bowlers playing together. Probably Morkel to miss out.
Elgar Markram Amla du Plessis de Villiers Bavuma de Kock Philander Maharaj Rabada Steyn - a very solid looking team now that everyone will be back