• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trevor Goddard - Man of God

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Always a interesting cricketer, one of the few all-rounders in test history to open the batting

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not quite aussie, but he's the best since Doug Wright, and he's a really good bloke too
Well that's the thing with Wright no doubt he was a very talented leg-spinner - but all i've read about him and listening to historians assessment of him - especially in this David Firth & Peter West DVD - Golden Greats of Cricket Bowlers - Amazon.com: Golden Greats of Cricket-Bowlers: Artist Not Provided: Movies & TV - was that he fell short of fully replicating his FC form into tests and to be fair his test average does suggest that.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ah yes remember him, interesting cricketer. Off my head I believe his record as a leg-spinner is the best in ENGs history, besides the lone actual test class spinner ENG produced in Tich Freeman.
What the **** are you talking about? Do you just feel you have to make controversial statements to try and stand out?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What the **** are you talking about? Do you just feel you have to make controversial statements to try and stand out?
Haha, well I'm not surprised and its reaction - i presume you will now tell me the non controversial view according the marc's world cricket logic, was that England have produced a multitude of great leg spinners in test history. All hail Ian Salisbury! 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Again, what the ****? Why do you insist on making things up that I've clearly not said?
Haha I'm just trying to follow your dumb logic that would make you think anything I said in above post was remotely controversial.

Myself & poster fredfertang were have a civil discussion on the issue before you but it with your usual crap.

watson

Banned
Presumably ironic, as I'm guessing he wasn't often dismissed on that manner.

It was a fascinating read.
I was thinking 'Deep' as in 'Deep and Meaningful' given his religious persuasions.

As for DVP Wright. He was an enigmatic bowler capable of the occasional 'unplayable delivery' even if he did stray in length from time to time despite a beautiful fluid action (if British Pathe footage is anything to go by).

The problem for Doug is that he had the misfortune to come up against Bradman in 1938, and then again in 1946/47 and 1948. Mitchell and Nourse also took to him in 1938/39.

But he remains one of my favourites, and in another era I'm almost certain that he would have flourished.

As EW Swanton wrote In 1950;

Under a great tactician, and if there had been no break for war, Doug Wright would probably have become one of the greatest of English spin bowlers . . . so long as his contemporaries live to tell the tale, his stature will not be measured only by the record books. They will cherish, too, the picture of a cricketer of great moral courage and of a manner reserved but generous and charming.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking 'Deep' as in 'Deep and Meaningful' given his religious persuasions.

As for DVP Wright. He was an enigmatic bowler capable of the occasional 'unplayable delivery' even if he did stray in length from time to time despite a beautiful fluid action (if British Pathe footage is anything to go by).

The problem for Doug is that he had the misfortune to come up against Bradman in 1938, and then again in 1946/47 and 1948. Mitchell and Nourse also took to him in 1938/39.

But he remains one of my favourites, and in another era I'm almost certain that he would have flourished.

As EW Swanton wrote In 1950;
Yea essentially the same thing esteemed cricket historian David Firth highlighted about him regarding his struggles in those tests vs his actual talent in the Golden Great bowlers DVD.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Haha I'm just trying to follow your dumb logic that would make you think anything I said in above post was remotely controversial.
So saying that England have only ever produced one test class spinner is a genuine opinion then?

As you would say, smh.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So saying that England have only ever produced one test class spinner is a genuine opinion then?

As you would say, smh.
Haha you are right to shake your head, cause if you didn't understand I was clearly specifically referring to England leg-spinners as the other posters did - then as I said before you should have just let myself and the other poster carrying on our decent discussion and stay out.