• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns' Perjury Trial

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This case should never have been brought and was a staggering waste of taxpayers money

Quite frankly if the CPS really want to convict someone of perjury then they should simply prosecute the last Mrs Fertang who I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt lied to the District Judge during our matrimonial finance trial the crucial difference being she was disbelieved

I accept that I'm a tad biased but that must make more sense than going for a bloke one High Court Judge has already given a ringing endorsement to

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This case should never have been brought and was a staggering waste of taxpayers money

Quite frankly if the CPS really want to convict someone of perjury then they should simply prosecute the last Mrs Fertang who I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt lied to the District Judge during our matrimonial finance trial the crucial difference being she was disbelieved

I accept that I'm a tad biased but that must make more sense than going for a bloke one High Court Judge has already given a ringing endorsement to
Given they have a staggering amount of egg on their face, what odds they go after Lou now so they have a scalp? I mean, he wasn't granted immunity right?

Anyway, on Cairns, he's already been found guilty in the court of public opinion so I'm not too phased from a court of law perspective. He's suffered for what he did, whatever it may be, and rightfully in my eyes.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: McCullum tried to exploit IPL 'loophole' - Sport - NZ Herald News

And has this fact also been forgotten?

"McCullum was trying to become a free agent (threatening not to sign an NZC central contract), he wanted to play in the entire IPL and there was a loophole there, but that loophole was closed during our meeting on September 2 when we introduced a new amendment for players who don't have a national contract," Modi told the Sydney Morning Herald.

He would have been on his bike, but the loophole closed. Now you'd say that you cut him and he bleeds NZ Cricket. So I don't know what to think or what really motivates the guy.
His family motivates him. I'd understand if he was a single man but it seems odd to me when fans get so up in arms about sportspeople making decisions that aren't necessarily loyal to their country, when they're putting their family first. Brendon was the next rung up from a mega star in India, and was starting to give away the gloves with a back he didn't know how well it'd be over time. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any cynicism about what he did but I can't see how anyone wouldn't understand at least partially.

And Mark Reason can **** right off. The trial did not hinge on Brendon's testimony yet he gets his character slammed for most of the article with some piss weak 'I'm not suggesting anything at all, now good I've got that out the way now I can let you know I am' line to preface it. Just like when he inferred India dropped catches on purpose during Brendon's 302. I'd like to see someone go after Mark one day with the slanderous bile he emits.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah, not only was it bloody hard but it was a bloody bridge too far. Then 3 years later he actually did *narc* after all.

The consequences of not narcing is that you know someone could be going round trying to get people involved in match-fixing, and the outcomes aren't great for anyone ensnared. Lou Vincent got caught up in match fixing, he was a vulnerable guy, and the outcomes weren't great for him. I think there's a real obligation to do something straight away, rather than turn the old blind eye and hope it all works out for the best.

Say some old team-mate approaches you and you turn them down: now that person knows you know they are involved, and you are outside their circle of trust. You are a threat to them. I'd be running to the authorities sooner rather than later, to protect myself and my family. Fixing is a high-stakes criminal enterprise and I wouldn't be so blasé about my personal safety. The threat is not just from your old team-mate, it's the threat from the ruthless criminals the old team-mate associates with, who have a vested interest in ensuring no witnesses pop up at an inconvenient future date.
All of that is very reasonable and logical, but that is no guarantee that McCullum necessarily thought the same way. He decided not to say anything and then decided to change his mind, so there is bound to be an element of confusion in his recollection of things.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Oh for God's sake, you don't half talk some ****.
The last time I was in Caversham I saw a shirtless body lying in the gutter with the word 'SNITCH' carved into the flesh with what appeared to be a straight razor. Never went back there.

Brendon is a King's High boy. Omerta is in his blood.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The last time I was in Caversham I saw a shirtless body lying in the gutter with the word 'SNITCH' carved into the flesh with what appeared to be a straight razor. Never went back there.

You've spent far too much time at the museum on David Street.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
What I'm saying is, if this was high school, Baz would have been the cool kid who caught you smoking a spliff behind the bike sheds and didn't say anything to anyone.

He and I were born within 24 hours of each other so I feel that I have the right to claim a psychic connection to McCullum, as if he were a long-lost brother.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Surely if you'd been in Caversham you'd know that Invercargill is not 45 minutes away. Besides BMac is a St Kilda boy.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Surely if you'd been in Caversham you'd know that Invercargill is not 45 minutes away. Besides BMac is a St Kilda boy.
I didn't say it was 45 minutes away. I said, despite how far it is, I think I know a guy who had done it in 45 minutes (on a motorcycle).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't say it was 45 minutes away. I said, despite how far it is, I think I know a guy who had done it in 45 minutes (on a motorcycle).
And that would still be beyond the realms of possibility, IMO. Especially with the winding roads between Milton and Balclutha and Clinton Gorge.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Oh for God's sake, you don't half talk some ****.
:laugh: love your work. Was going to have a go but thought you'd be in ahead of me

Considering how much drug usage you've professed to partake in I'm sure you've mixed this up with an episode of Underbelly or some bull****.

What I'm saying is, if this was high school, Baz would have been the cool kid who caught you smoking a spliff behind the bike sheds and didn't say anything to anyone.

He and I were born within 24 hours of each other so I feel that I have the right to claim a psychic connection to McCullum, as if he were a long-lost brother.
**** me you're high right now aren't you.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
And that would still be beyond the realms of possibility, IMO. Especially with the winding roads between Milton and Balclutha and Clinton Gorge.
How did this thread get to be an inquisition on my knowledge of Otago and Southland? It's not like I'm claiming to be the No. 1 Volts supporter in the country. All I claimed was that Baz was from part of Dunedin that isn't exactly Maori Hill. Having spent much time in the criminal underworld I understand how that sort of culture works when it comes to dobbing your mates in to the cops.

Care to offer a better explanation of what led Baz to not say anything for three years despite knowing a) match fixing was not on and b) that not saying anything about match fixing was also not on? I'm saying the same environment and attitude that led him to become a gifted leader of men played a part in his keeping his mouth shut.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given they have a staggering amount of egg on their face, what odds they go after Lou now so they have a scalp? I mean, he wasn't granted immunity right?
Zero - no jury would convict in the face of Vincent's Counsel banging on endlessly about how the whole of the Police and CPS must have believed him, although I can't see it would get off the ground anyway

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Considering how much drug usage you've professed to partake in I'm sure you've mixed this up with an episode of Underbelly or some bull****.
Assume that's a television show - I don't watch television. I grant you that I was hallucinating fairly heavily the last time I was in Caversham.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I may be wrong, but it's c. 150 km from Dunedin to Invercargill, no? This guy I know for a fact did Christchurch to Nelson at an average speed of c. 180km/h. (150/180)*60 = 50 minutes, allow for the usual ****talking exaggerations, not that implausible imo.