• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Centuries in England since 2000

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It depends on your criteria, really, and there's heaps to choose from. Of the ones I've seen, for pure domination, Ponting's 140-odd at Leeds should be in the conversation (or, indeed, Butcher's knock later in the same match) or either of Smith's big doubles and Flintoff's ton at TB in '05 was a ripping knock not to mention Inzi's match-turning ton in '01. For grit, Ponting again in 2005, a few of Dravid's knocks, etc. For free-wheeling entertainment, KP at the Oval and Gilchrist's 152 was just bat-**** insane mainly because you just weren't supposed to bat like that in a Test at that time. I'm sure there are a bunch more I'm not mentioning.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It depends on your criteria, really, and there's heaps to choose from. Of the ones I've seen, for pure domination, Ponting's 140-odd at Leeds should be in the conversation (or, indeed, Butcher's knock later in the same match) or either of Smith's big doubles and Flintoff's ton at TB in '05 was a ripping knock not to mention Inzi's match-turning ton in '01. For grit, Ponting again in 2005, a few of Dravid's knocks, etc. For free-wheeling entertainment, KP at the Oval and Gilchrist's 152 was just bat-**** insane mainly because you just weren't supposed to bat like that in a Test at that time. I'm sure there are a bunch more I'm not mentioning.
I wanted to mention this but feared the riposte. Thanks :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Doesn't count because IIRC 156 of his 158 runs came from Brett Lee bowling like a complete flog.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Beyond those that have been listed:

Trescothick's double against SA at the Oval in 2003.
Hussain at Trent Bridge in the same series.
Bell at Durham in 2013
Root at Trent Bridge in 2015

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid carrying his bat at the Oval.

Actually his Trent Bridge ton that series was better, come to think of it. Would have put India into the driving seat to square the series until Broad suddenly went into God Mode with the 2nd new ball.
Only got out because he attempted to slog after the lower order fell like a pack of cards. ****ing Dhoni. Will never forgive him for that dismissal.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
It's Anil Kumble's 110* by some distance

Sehwag's 106 at Nottingham worth a shout too.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some great knocks been mentioned here, but Mark Butcher's the best by a distance for me - kudos to Gilly as well for making it possible

Teja.

Global Moderator
Can't help feeling Smith's efforts are underrated because he was so good he was basically being a bully.