• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underrated players

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh, he's a tool, and you could validly question how often he stood up when the opposition quicks were really good.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glen McGrath 145. Hmmm. I'd take that to court too.
Nah, he was pretty rapid when he was young. He KO'ed Peter Kirsten in an ODI at the WACA in the mid-1990s with a seriously quick bouncer, and was clocked in the high 140s that summer IIRC. Mind you, was early days of speed guns, so not sure how accurate it was.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he well and truly bowled within himself in the later years, recognising that it, y'know, got him wickets.

the big bambino

International Captain
@Burgey. Fair enough. Saw him in his early days at a test at the gabba. Was viewing from side on and he looked distinctly visible compared to say McDermott and Gough. I remember being less than impressed with him. :oops:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, I think most 'sharpish' quicks are capable of getting it up to 145 on a good day with favourable conditions. Get in rhythm with some wind behind you while fired up and guys usually operating around 135 are probably capable of eking out an extra 10km/h for their effort ball. Heck, even 150 isn't out of the question -- I mean, the Hilfenhaus-Siddle-Harris pace attack were operating around 140km/h a few years back, could hit 145 for the effort ball, and would occasionally crank it right up.

smash84

The Tiger King
To be honest, I think most 'sharpish' quicks are capable of getting it up to 145 on a good day with favourable conditions. Get in rhythm with some wind behind you while fired up and guys usually operating around 135 are probably capable of eking out an extra 10km/h for their effort ball. Heck, even 150 isn't out of the question -- I mean, the Hilfenhaus-Siddle-Harris pace attack were operating around 140km/h a few years back, could hit 145 for the effort ball, and would occasionally crank it right up.
This. Quite a few bowlers manage it actually.

Even Wahab usually bowls in the 140+/-5 kph range but his effort balls go up to 152 153