• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Ireland and England 2015 (limited overs)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I quite like the Cummins and Starc combination at the death. Cummins could do with more variety, however he is quite good at having batsmen caught on the pull.

Interesting statistic and based on a small sample size, however 47% of Starc's wickets have either been bowled or LBW compared to 9% for Cummins.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Moeen is wasted if you play him at 7 or 8 in an ODI. He played a gem of a knock in the T20. Why cant he bat at No.5?
I don't understand why he's been dropped down the order when he was doing perfectly fine opening. Particularly for a hack like Roy.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wade clearly continuing his campaign against Watto from two years ago last night.

What can a man possibly do against such reckless hate?

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Yes,I do wonder how long more Atokes is going to get in this team on potential.Looked a passenger with both bat and ball yesterday.I would have Moeen at 5,would still want Taylor in my side when Root comes back though.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
It makes no sense why Australia waste their time playing England in ODIs. They clearly looked rusty in that 1st ODI yet won with ease. Play worthy teams like Bangladesh. Also this England team is too afraid to play such teams. Hate to think what Mustafizur and Taskin would've done to that batting line-up. Hopefully in Champions Trophy.

91Jmay

International Coach
Moeen can't be relied upon with ball as 5th bowler at the moment, we are so short of ODI standard bowlers. Not sure we can be affording to rest Broad to be honest, if we really are going to take ODI cricket more seriously like we claim then best players should be playing (Root obviously out for precaution which is fair enough). Willey in the side and batting at 7 would be my suggestion with Taylor in at 5 when Root comes back.
Means Hales/Roy/Ali playing for two slots.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Moeen can't be relied upon with ball as 5th bowler at the moment, we are so short of ODI standard bowlers. Not sure we can be affording to rest Broad to be honest, if we really are going to take ODI cricket more seriously like we claim then best players should be playing (Root obviously out for precaution which is fair enough). Willey in the side and batting at 7 would be my suggestion with Taylor in at 5 when Root comes back.
Means Hales/Roy/Ali playing for two slots.
Moeen is a decent containing bowler in ODI cricket imo. Hard to really get after him given the pace he bowls and the bit of spin he gets, and has protection for the bad balls that get put away in test cricket. If he had a little more guile he'd pick up a few more wickets. In effect in this team England are picking 6 bowlers and sharing the duties around dependent on conditions and who is going well.

I like the two spinners given the options England have. Rashid will be profligate but take wickets, Ali will contain. One bowls slowly, the other quickly. It's a nice variation.

Sure the bowling in general is mediocre. Finn looks the vulnerable one from yesterdays performance because if he's getting it down at 82-85mph without doing much with the ball he doesn't offer much to the team. If he doesn't bowl much at the death or in the middle he needs to take wickets at the start. Also an average fielder and number 11 bat. Also 1 of 4 right arm med fast bowlers.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It makes no sense why Australia waste their time playing England in ODIs. They clearly looked rusty in that 1st ODI yet won with ease. Play worthy teams like Bangladesh. Also this England team is too afraid to play such teams. Hate to think what Mustafizur and Taskin would've done to that batting line-up. Hopefully in Champions Trophy.
lol there are stronger bowlers in County 3rd XIs than Mustafizur and Taskin

91Jmay

International Coach
Moeen is a decent containing bowler in ODI cricket imo. Hard to really get after him given the pace he bowls and the bit of spin he gets, and has protection for the bad balls that get put away in test cricket. If he had a little more guile he'd pick up a few more wickets. In effect in this team England are picking 6 bowlers and sharing the duties around dependent on conditions and who is going well.

I like the two spinners given the options England have. Rashid will be profligate but take wickets, Ali will contain. One bowls slowly, the other quickly. It's a nice variation.

Sure the bowling in general is mediocre. Finn looks the vulnerable one from yesterdays performance because if he's getting it down at 82-85mph without doing much with the ball he doesn't offer much to the team. If he doesn't bowl much at the death or in the middle he needs to take wickets at the start. Also an average fielder and number 11 bat. Also 1 of 4 right arm med fast bowlers.
Two spinners is a nice balance, Ali opening the batting would sort of solve the issues but Roy looked good yesterday and Hales seems to have been pegged as a long term player (his ODI record very ordinary though) so think they will give them time.

theegyptian

Two spinners is a nice balance, Ali opening the batting would sort of solve the issues but Roy looked good yesterday and Hales seems to have been pegged as a long term player (his ODI record very ordinary though) so think they will give them time.

Yes I agree with the general consensus that Moeen is better off in the top 3 - and I imagine the England management know that. Just I feel like they want to give a good run to Hales, Roy and Taylor and don't want to drop any of the rest of the batting further down the order. Hales and Roy aren't the finished articles but they deserve a good run at it to either suceed or fail. I would have been disappointed if Roy had been dropped after 5 odis. I was disappointed that Willey and Billings weren't selected as well but Billings made sense in that without Root they were without any kind of 6th bowler and so they needed Ali, moreso as a bowler than bat.

It's unfortunate for Moeen that he keeps getting bunted around the order with all these different roles but I think the management know a reasonable amount about him now and they feel he is more adaptable than others.

If it had been a world cup game yesterday I'd have imagined they'd gone Hales, Ali, Taylor(Root if available), etc etc

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England opt to bowl first, which is understandable in the conditions. Whether we need two spinners here is debatable, but Rashid probably isn't going anywhere after his four wickets last time.