• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hobbs vs Sutcliffe vs Hammond vs Hutton. Who was the best batsmen?

Best of the best?

• Hobbs

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Sutcliffe

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Hammond

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Hutton

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has been amended up to 199 due to 2 centuries he got on a tour to what was then Ceylon - games have been granted 1st class status
I have a great deal of respect for the work the ACS have done on reclassifying some old matches but they have done themselves and the game a disservice on that one - Hobbs himself always accepted those two were scored in exhibition matches in India the main purpose of which were for him to score centuries - unless they've changed their mind Wisden never accepted the 199 figure

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobbs was the best, but gave my vote to Hammond because it's criminal Hutton should be ahead of him 5 votes to 1.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hobbs was the best, but gave my vote to Hammond because it's criminal Hutton should be ahead of him 5 votes to 1.
Nah it isn't. Even though it serves to take a little sheen off of the Don, the inter-war period was easier for batsmen compared to the post wwii period of Hutton. Well, at least that seems to be the consensus from things I've read.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's interesting & may well be a valid point, but from what I've read from cricket historians and past players suggested to me that the consensus was Hammond was only 2nd to Hobbs and generally regarded as > Hutton.

I might need to do a deeper dive into this.