• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern New Zealand XI (dayboo post 1980) first poll: The Two Positions from Hell

Pick two openers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Grumps, did you delete that post asking why no Jones or Watling? Suddenly I can only see it where I've quoted it.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I can definitely see the merit in a Richardson-Jones opening combo. Jones did open sometimes and its much easier for a No. 3 to open than anyone else.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I went for Richardson and McCullum. Is Baz the 2nd best opener in the poll? That's pretty debatable, but IMO he's certainly the next-best batsman available after you slot in KW, Taylor and Crowe at 3-4-5.

So basically I'm voting along the lines of:

1. Rigor
2. Baz
3. Big Daddy Kane
4. Crowe
5. Taylor
6. ??? (Astle/McMillan/Fleming/Ryder)
7. Watling +
8. Vettori
9. Southee
10. Boult
11. Bond

Certainly made easier by Hadlee not being available.

I went for Richardson and McCullum. Is Baz the 2nd best opener in the poll? That's pretty debatable, but IMO he's certainly the next-best batsman available after you slot in KW, Taylor and Crowe at 3-4-5.

So basically I'm voting along the lines of:

1. Rigor
2. Baz
3. Big Daddy Kane
4. Crowe
5. Taylor
6. ??? (Astle/McMillan/Fleming/Ryder)
7. Watling +
8. Vettori
9. Southee
10. Boult
11. Bond

Certainly made easier by Hadlee not being available.
No Cairns? That will get some response.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There's certainly a case that my team is light on bowling (Vettori not really being a strike bowler at Test level, let alone ATG level). Personally, I never saw much of Cairns so was never that impressed by him. Throw in the fixing controversy and the balance of this team (not wanting Watling at 6, and neither Cairns nor Vettori being #6s at this level), and I'd rather see Astle or McMillan or Jesse in there to bat at 6 and contribute a handful of part-time overs alongside KW.

There's certainly a case that my team is light on bowling (Vettori not really being a strike bowler at Test level, let alone ATG level). Personally, I never saw much of Cairns so was never that impressed by him. Throw in the fixing controversy and the balance of this team (not wanting Watling at 6, and neither Cairns nor Vettori being #6s at this level), and I'd rather see Astle or McMillan or Jesse in there to bat at 6 and contribute a handful of part-time overs alongside KW.
Oh its not limited to your team balance. I'd personally happily see Jesse at 6, because typically I much prefer really strong batting at 6. Still leaves Southee playing ahead of Cairns.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had to go for Fleming. Baz is good, but Flem did it when it was a touch harder and for a little while more with a bit more responsibility

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cairns was basically Flintoff but more consistent. Gotta have him at 6, especially with Vettori coming in later.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah assuming #7 and #8 end up how I think they will, Cairns at six will be fine given Watling is very much an above average #7, and Vettori was realistically as much of a batsman as he was a bowler for most of his career. I could see how someone like Astle might balance a team better in different circumstances, but in this situation I think Cairns is perfect at six.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Jones only belongs in a discussion for a 3rd XI.
Why? 4th best NZ batsman of the era behind Crowe, Taylor and KW.

I would be very tempted to open with Jones instead of Fleming or BMac.
Despite looking ungainly at the crease he was less likely to be knocked over early like those two and when set didn't 'give it away' by mental lapses when past 50 or stupid slogging.

It is just that one of those two needs to captain, they looked better at the crease, and they have scored many of NZ's big 200+ score (Jones never got a double)