• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath Vs Akram!

Wasim or Mcgrath

• Wasim Akram

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 24 36.4%

• Total voters

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Who do you ppl think is better? Wasim is a legend and ppl rightly call him the sultan of swing and he was a lethal bowler in his prime. Mcgrath is also a great bowler, very accurate and harly gives runs.

If you had to pick one of the two, who'd you pick?

ReallyCrazy

Banned
oh btw i picked wasim akram! He is one of my fav players of all time. I have always enjoyed his aggressive bowling. He'd get the wickets when you most needed it. I think only sachin got the better of him in world cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Depends on what you are looking for... Both quality players though...

Mc Grath is ideal for giving absolutely nothing away.. Bowling at top batsman, giving away very little runs, so the batsmen end up making their own mistakes...

Wasim is ideal for blowing away a lower order, and finishing a one day game off thats a bit nip and tuck.. With some inswinging yorkers...

I voted Wasim, simply because he is a good batsman!

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Wasim was a better bowler. McGrath is an all time great Aussie bowler, no doubt about that but I have always thought that he wasn't an attacking bowler, like Akram.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SquidAU said:
Wasim was a better bowler. McGrath is an all time great Aussie bowler, no doubt about that but I have always thought that he wasn't an attacking bowler, like Akram.

I think McGrath was attacking! But it took place in his defense... He had different methods, not as spectacular as Wasims thundering yorkers, but just as effective...

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
i dont think you can compare wasim and mcgrath as players as wasim is far the better batsman but as bowlers i think theyre about neck and neck

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
The man's record speaks for itself but I don't really know how to explain what I mean by not "attacking"....sure, he bowled almost the same line all the time, which frustrated the batsmen into playing at the ball...

Swervy

International Captain
i am gonna go with McGrath on this one...for me he is /was more reliable.

and I am afraid to say it, but I still cant get the accustaions of ball tampering out of my mind with Akram (who I did love watching, esp for lancs)

Bouncer

State Regular
If there is one cricketer who i hate is Wasim Akram(I think he took more away from Pakistni cricket than what he gave to it.), and i have ran into alot of trouble in Pakistni forums for saying this.
But Comparisions as Bowlers between the two, without any hesitation its Wasim, simply coz guy is a match winner, in the first over, 6th ovar and final over of his spell, there is no Answer to his Varity, Though he is VERY MOODY, not very consistent of a performar, (To me the biggest Pakistani under achiever), butdespite all this, in MCgrath and Akram, Akram leads by long distance.

Bouncer

State Regular
Langeveldt said:
And for entertainment value, i think Wasim wins hands down..:lol:
Man u r hot! I would have been hitting on you if they had not Disabled the private messaging.:)

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I would certainly go for Wasim Akram. Hes got a quality which you cannot easily define. He might not be as accurate as Mcgrath but then who needs such an accuracy when you have got amazing swing ability, variation and not to forget unplayable yorkers. Akram was always a threat to every batsman he bowled to. What proves all is all the top batsman in the world believe he is the most dangerous bowler (which include Sachin, Steve waugh, Viv Richards.). He was also defined as "The best of the lot" by Allan Donald, Ambrose and walsh.8D
Wasim akram could be given the ball at any moment of the game, thats why he was so useful, knowing how to bowl in any given time. when i see Mcgrath its really sad to say thats not the case for him, hes only very useful in the opening spell and thats where the main difference comes in their quality.

Akram by far is better than Mcgrath for me!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I vote Wasim, but it's not really a fair comparison. They are two completely different types of bowlers.

Last edited:

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wasim Akram wins easily over Glenn McGrath pulling his pants down in the process! He is a far more dangerous bowler than McGrath when he was in his prime. Wasim is one of the pioneers of reverse swing and is one of the best exponents of swing. He is an innovating bowler with many variations. He may not always be 100% accurate but has is always a threat to the batsman. On the otherhand McGrath is dull, bland, uninventive bowler. All he does is put the damn ball in the same place every time! He may get wickets but he is not an intelligent bowler like Wasim so I do not rate McGrath highly. Bowlers shouldn't be judged on stats alone. If you look at West Indian greats like Michael Holding and Joel Garner they did not get loads of wickets at a cheap rate but they had supreme class and talent.

Continuing with the face off, Wasim is also an explosive batsman with a test double century to boast. Regardless of his consistency, how many bowlers have had such an achievement?. To be honest McGrath is a hopeless batsman who shows no ability or enthusiasm (his stats and reputation vouch for this).

And as far as personality goes, I think there is only one winner!
Wasim is an exciting, interesting and friendly guy whilst McGrath is arrogant, bad tempered and insensitive. Competitive aggression on the field is one thing, but he really does act like an unsocial, nasty d*ckhead.

That concludes my personal attack on Glenn McGrath! Any angry comments and corrections to inaccuracies are most welcome. :saint:

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Take issue with no ability or enthusiasm batting - he's just talentless.

Made 50 for Worcestershire (?) in the CC in 2001.

Langeveldt

Soutie
LankanPrince said:
Wasim Akram wins easily over Glenn McGrath pulling his pants down in the process! He is a far more dangerous bowler than McGrath when he was in his prime. Wasim is one of the pioneers of reverse swing and is one of the best exponents of swing. He is an innovating bowler with many variations. He may not always be 100% accurate but has is always a threat to the batsman. On the otherhand McGrath is dull, bland, uninventive bowler. All he does is put the damn ball in the same place every time! He may get wickets but he is not an intelligent bowler like Wasim so I do not rate McGrath highly. Bowlers shouldn't be judged on stats alone. If you look at West Indian greats like Michael Holding and Joel Garner they did not get loads of wickets at a cheap rate but they had supreme class and talent.

Continuing with the face off, Wasim is also an explosive batsman with a test double century to boast. Regardless of his consistency, how many bowlers have had such an achievement?. To be honest McGrath is a hopeless batsman who shows no ability or enthusiasm (his stats and reputation vouch for this).

And as far as personality goes, I think there is only one winner!
Wasim is an exciting, interesting and friendly guy whilst McGrath is arrogant, bad tempered and insensitive. Competitive aggression on the field is one thing, but he really does act like an unsocial, nasty d*ckhead.

That concludes my personal attack on Glenn McGrath! Any angry comments and corrections to inaccuracies are most welcome. :saint:

At the end though, McGrath cant be criticized for he has been one of the most reliable bowlers of our era.. and I think his stats are better than Wasims, although stand to be corrected...

He also has the purest bowling action after Allan Donald IMO....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Purely as a bowler, I've gone for McGrath - one must remember the wickets he's "taken" at the other end with his relentless line.

Obviously once you get onto batting, Wasim will be the better option.

One thought though - what an opening pairing they'd have made!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim Akram - Greatest bowler of modern era. Mcgrath is good but can not be compared to Wasim.