• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does anyone get the awful feeling cricket is a dying sport?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its rather similar to what's happening with baseball in America. I can't help feel both sports are on their last legs. I do understand it's not just cricket, the huge choices people have these days mean all sports are suffering, but one gets the feeling cricket is declining much faster than other sports. I remember when I was at university and they were showing a cricket World Cup match (in 2007) on the big screen in the common room/eating area and the only people that were watching were Indians. The rest were completely disinterested and were talking amongst themselves without really ever looking at the screen. I suppose the fate of cricket lies in the hands of Indians.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I mean a massively successful World Cup in Australia and New Zealand certainly means cricket is entirely dependant on Indians and a dying sport. Just because your own social circle appears to act in a certain way doesn't mean that it is in anyway a true reflection on the state of the game.

Viewers are up mostly across the board. What actual evidence do you have that it's dying?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I
Yeah I mean a massively successful World Cup in Australia and New Zealand certainly means cricket is entirely dependant on Indians and a dying sport. Just because your own social circle appears to act in a certain way doesn't mean that it is in anyway a true reflection on the state of the game.

Viewers are up mostly across the board. What actual evidence do you have that it's dying?
I love cricket. But it seems to me white Brits outside of rural environs and fee paying schools are no longer interested in the game. I blame a lack of free TV exposure, the huge array of choices kids have these days a part of the problem. But there is no doubt, at least it's true for the UK, the game has completely evaporated from the conscious of some segments of society. With every passing year the sport remains solely with Sky, the further it will remain and become from public awareness. The vast majority of people in the UK won't be able to name a single cricketer outside of KP and Flintoff.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I love cricket. But it seems to me white Brits outside of rural environs and fee paying schools are no longer interested in the game.
Well England has a pretty poor team at the moment. Don't worry next time they win the Ashes it'll be the second coming in the Papers all over again.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had no problem in England when we were winning and reached number 1. Fans are fickle, team are winning they will watch and take interest, team not doing so well and it gets ignored.

Is football in trouble as less people were bothered about the fact England were crap last year at the world cup and there was less hype than normal?

cpr

International Coach
Also depends on where your uni is, if its in a place where there's no real cricket presence, such as Norfolk or Herefordshire or Leicestershire, then there may not be the support seen in other area's of the country.

cpr

International Coach
A few of us were talking about the decline in Rugby League yesterday, Salford can just about scrape 4,000 for a home game, a third of what they got in the 90's. Even Sale, who share the stadium, get 8,000 regularly, and the North West is supposed to be League over Union. Its not like Sale are doing particularly well (though not as bad as Salford)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is. Test cricket in particular. Except India, England and Australia, the talent stock becomes weak in other countries as players are sucked into T20. Maybe not SA. I wish we get day night test cricket soon. The balance between the two versions is just too skewed.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is. Test cricket in particular. Except India, England and Australia, the talent stock becomes weak in other countries as players are sucked into T20. Maybe not SA. I wish we get day night test cricket soon. The balance between the two versions is just too skewed.
there is 0 evidence of this with the possible exception of WI

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I

I love cricket. But it seems to me white Brits outside of rural environs and fee paying schools are no longer interested in the game. I blame a lack of free TV exposure, the huge array of choices kids have these days a part of the problem. But there is no doubt, at least it's true for the UK, the game has completely evaporated from the conscious of some segments of society. With every passing year the sport remains solely with Sky, the further it will remain and become from public awareness. The vast majority of people in the UK won't be able to name a single cricketer outside of KP and Flintoff.
Probably because cricket gets coverage that's disproportionate to its profile. It's nowhere near as popular in England as its media profile would suggest.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Probably because cricket gets coverage that's disproportionate to its profile. It's nowhere near as popular in England as its media profile would suggest.
It is in the north west. Can't speak for the rest of the country

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's decline is because modern players hate abilities. So it declined with Ponting's retirement.

Like him there is no other
None can call him brother

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
To be fair, in this country people only seem to care about football. Besides Wimbledon, nobody cares for any other tennis that runs for the rest of the year. People follow the rugby World Cup and one or two high profile matches but not much else during the rugby calendar. In athletics its the Olympics and the world championships and not much else after that. Football consumes people in the UK like rugby does NZ. But still, I think if cricket is freely available there would be healthy figures. It's still the top three sports in terms of how much people care, how much the sport means to the nation, historical significance of the sport to the country.

Last edited: