• No effect

13 40.63%
  • Got worse

16 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Pontings Fielding been effected by Captaincy

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar

Has Pontings Fielding been effected by Captaincy

Personally I think Ponting cannot be considered in the top echelon of fieldsman at the moment. That belongs to someone lik Yuvraj or Symonds. Ponting is now only a good fielder not a top fielder. I think this is having a negative influence on the rest of the teams fielding. I think he became complacent with his fielding, moved himself to slip, and became worse. What are your thoughts?
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

International Vice-Captain
    hes still as good...because...

1/ He moved himself to slip instead of backward point and has less chances for run outs etc.

2/ The last test series i think he could be excused for dropping a few catches. Ponting made 2 double centuries within two matches...

3/ Hes fielding well anyway. Today he did well, and the VB series hasn't been terrible for him

Well he has droped off a little this season but I think that's just down to the natrual swing of thing's you cant be brilliant all the time.

Plus he does not feild at backward point or in the covers as much as he used to and has still been outstanding on occasion's this season.

International Captain
    Well I remember a few games back in the VB Series the guy took a screamer of a catch to dismiss S.Tendulkar of the bowling of Symonds, looked alright then

I agree what others have said he has still been very good, but the guy is human and will drop one or two now and then..... Lets remember while Ricky has dropped one or two, this summer has been the worst I've ever seen the Australians in the field they were dropping catches left, right and center, one of the Tests I recall at least 6 were put down. What iam basically saying is in context Ricky has still been above the rest etc.

His batting like has been said also will always go through dips you can't maintain that sort of form every single time he goes out to bat and I wouldn't be to worried yet as at least when he fails he is still contributing 30's etc. And his 80 odd today will have helped him alot and put any of those niggling thoughts back to the back of his thoughts again.

Well he was the one that took that one handed blinder to dismiss Tendulkar and shatter my dreams of seeing a Tendulkar 100 live, so I wouldn't say so lol.

If he has lost a bit in the field I wouldn't say its directly related to him being captain either.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It is nonetheless odd, however, how often captains lose something in the field.
    Ganguly, Fleming, Ponting possibly, Smith, a few I can think of.
    Not neccesarily in catching, but in athleticism.
    Personally I haven't noticed any change in Ponting's fielding but there's undoubtedly some sort of pattern.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Ponting's fielding has not been affected by being captain.

Every one is human and even the great fielders will drop catches from time to time, including Ponting.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    That goes without saying. Even Colin Bland and Walter Hammond dropped a few catches in their career.
    But the question is: has there been any perceptible effect on Ponting? I guess we'll have to wait until he captains some games - but he's been captain for ages now. Really, why would someone ask this question at this point?

Cricket Spectator
    Hey all, im new. Anyway, 1st, I don't think pontz got complacent with his fielding, moved himself to slip, and became worse. Since Australia's brilliant slip cordent of M.Taylor, M.Waugh and S.Warne hav gone, ponting has been forced to put himself in there, so he hasnít been able to be in covers and at point where people forget how good he was, with run outs and catches. But yes he has dropped off, a fair bit in some senses. It may be arragont in me saying so, but I am the biggest punter fan alive, and I feel as if me saying I know his game as well as anyone isnít stupid.
    When your as naturally brilliant as ricky ponting you're always going to do the occasional miraculous thing, such as that catch off symonds to dismiss tendulkar, but he has dropped off for sure, when he 1st came on the scene he was absolutely amazing, but even catches that he is occasionally dropping now, a couple of years ago you just wouldn't see, if so not near as often. I'm not sure whether its a coincedence or not that it started happening around the time of captaincy, but lets not forget it wasn't long ago when people were argueing him to be better than the great J.Rhodes. Also I'll remind you that mark waugh went through a stage when he dropped catches as well, so hopefully punter pulls through and picks it up a bit!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    His fielding has been down a little lately, but it's not related to captaincy in my view.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    His fielding has been down a little lately, but it's not related to captaincy in my view.
    exactly.
    people were saying his batting had been effected by his captaincy, but now hes been playing really well. its just a matter of form and luck.

State Vice-Captain membersstand's Avatar
    How long until Inzi uses the captaincy as an excuse for his poor fielding ?

Banned
    Australia are a little jaded at the moment with the build up before the triumphant series in India. Resting Hayden and injuries to Gilly and Gilespie shows that its been a long haul for the team. I hope we lose a couple before the ashes to reinvigorate the team.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    He has definitely got better as a one day batsman. As a test player, its too earlyto judge as its just a year since he took over captaincy. Fielding i okay. So over all I would say he has gone better.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by membersstand
    How long until Inzi uses the captaincy as an excuse for his poor fielding ?
    when it gets even worse
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information