• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

srbhkshk

International Captain
Balaji was such a likeable guy too and a very decent bowler by our standards those days, shame he had to suffer that injury.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, he was never the same post that but he showed good batting skills. Ganguly loved him for it. Always mentioned his batting and fielding when discussing him making the side.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Since it never got answered in the other thread - how did Siddhu average anywhere near as much as Azhar, cheat and all (although apparently not confirmed?). Azhar was a top, top batsman as I remember him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
For context, he averages 60 at home in the 90s, Azhar averages 53. They were both quite a bit worse away but Azhar was still capable of random moments of greatness, Siddhu was more of a grafter + sudden 3 sixes in an over against random spinner guy.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sidhu probably cashed in at home against SL and the likes, don't remember him doing much against any decent attacks like SA or W. Indies even at home (apart from the assault on Warne in '98).

vcs

Well, what do I know.

Azhar was definitely the far more gifted batsman, though both would generally struggle against quality pace attacks. Azhar's knocks against SA home and away in '96 had some brilliant strokeplay. Also remember his 180-odd in the first Test vs. England at home in '93.

kingkallis

International Coach
Navjot was one level lower than Azhar but he was a pretty effective opener at home. He was very aggressive against the spinners and it did play a role in making things easier for the middle order during the 90s.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
TBF Sidhu did nothing outside of subcontinent outside of those 2 hundreds in Caribbean. That is decent though given the kind of openers we used between Gavaskar and Sehwag.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Sidhu was very clearly our best opener till Sehwag came. Slightly feeling that he is under-rated here. He was a poor man's Sehwag and Dravid, being too defensive or too aggressive in his innings. Not sure if I remember correctly but I think he got dropped after the 200 for batting too slow.

His batting against Warne was so much fun to watch though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I remember correctly but I think he got dropped after the 200 for batting too slow.
Not really. He played his famous innings against Warne (1998) after that double (1997).

He did get dropped after he took flight home mid tour from England in 1996 which meant he was not available for our 96-97 tour to SA where we put up possibly the worst ever opening pair of WB Raman and Vikram Rathour.

vcs

Not really. He played his famous innings against Warne (1998) after that double (1997).

He did get dropped after he took flight home mid tour from England in 1996 which meant he was not available for our 96-97 tour to SA where we put up possibly the worst ever opening pair of WB Raman and Vikram Rathour.
Think we had MSK Prasad and Deep Dasgupta or someone in the '99-'00 massacre in Australia. Don't think either of them crossed single figures in 6 innings.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Whatever good Siddhu did as a batsman is rendered null by his stint as commentator (and as a glorified laughter track on that comedy show)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Think we had MSK Prasad and Deep Dasgupta or someone in the '99-'00 massacre in Australia. Don't think either of them crossed single figures in 6 innings.
Just checked. Devang Gandhi, S. Ramesh, Laxman and MSK Prasad were the openers used. In 96-97 tour of SA openers used were WV Raman, Vikram Rathour, Dravid and Mongia.

So pretty similar experiments in both tours -- 2 below par openers, one makeshift and one wicket-keeper.

Reactions: vcs