• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do the overseas players get by during the IPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
OP- read Shantaram sometime.

Or even better, go to India yourself....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is a good question. They get bored really. The security during the IPL is crazy. They don't let the players interact with fans at all. The players just eat food, travel to the next game and spend some good family time as they bring their spouses and even children along a lot of the times.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes after parties, travelling and sightseeing, training and learning with and from a new bunch of people, living in top hotels and eating good food must be terribly boring. Poor them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes after parties, travelling and sightseeing, training and learning with and from a new bunch of people, living in top hotels and eating good food must be terribly boring. Poor them.
After a while staying in even the best hotels gets very tideous..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But the players can't really get out of their hotels because the IPL is held before the monsoon has had a chance to wash the streets clean of you-know-what :ph34r:

longranger

U19 Cricketer
It is a good question. They get bored really. The security during the IPL is crazy. They don't let the players interact with fans at all. The players just eat food, travel to the next game and spend some good family time as they bring their spouses and even children along a lot of the times.
I don't think cricketers want 'to interact with fans'. In most countries apart from those in the subcontinent, life is quite normal for cricketers and they get to walk around malls without really being mobbed. I'm sure they actually look forward to the cauldron of Indian cricket, where almost every guy on the road will know who you are. There are billboards with huge posters of overseas cricketers, something they don't even get in their own country. And as for it being a really busy time with nothing else to do - they play 14 games in six weeks - what do you expect? The benefits for overseas cricketers in terms of the tangible ($) and intangible (experience) are immense.

Flem274*

123/5
i thought i saw chris martin at the shopping mall last year but thought it couldn't be him because he lives in auckland, then a few days later heef linked me to an article which said he'd opened a shop in my town.

i don't think he could go to a shopping mall in india without saying hello to more than a few cricket tragics.

this post isn't really addressing a point or anything i just wanted to write it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I saw Ramiz Raja in a shopping mall once. I waved at him and he waved back. For the biggest players like a Ponting or a Kohli, it would be impossible. However, for some one like Azhar Ali, it wouldn't be impossible I think. I saw Dravid at an airport once in Indore. He was calm and had a few photos clicked. Then sat in the lounge doing his thing. People didn't start mobbing him which was good to see.

Gary Kirsten was speaking in a pre world cup programme I recently attended where he talked on how while he couldn't go out much, his wife used to have a blast venturing out in the various places he visited in India.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw Dravid at the airport in Chennai back in around 2004 I think and he was completely surrounded by fans, mostly female coz let's face it, he's ***y as all hell... and the poor guy couldn't get out of the crowd for ages. Signed tons of autographs, took plenty of photos and I even got to ask him whether he's late for his flight because of us. He just replied "I usually set aside a 30 minute slot as buffer for you guys" and gave me a goofy grin :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.