• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Jezroy

State Captain
Checking out our old friend the ICC Test Rankings Predictor (still waiting for the May 1 refresh to kick in), but if England have a bad time against us, Aussie, and then Sth Africa, they could be 7th on the ladder. 7th.

Mind you, if we lose 2-0, and India beat Bangladesh, we could be 7th as well.

I really feel like the Boult/Southee/Henry trio could be the start of a great, consistent seam/swing bowling trio for us. Then with Wheeler/Bracewell/Wagner floating around as well, things are looking good for us on the pace bowling front.

I know Craig did take quite a few wickets at times in the last year or so, but I wish there was a young spinner floating around the side that made you feel a bit more confident.

In terms of this series, I see Rutherford's innings have so far been unconvincing, so surely the openers role is Guptill's to lose now? Worcestershire gave Somerset a toweling last week, so hopefully a reasonable strength opposition for the lads, and hopefully Kaneh/Timmeh/Henreh etc etc will land in time for the 2nd warm up game. Surely they will fairly well pick the first test team to run with?

I'm sure Guptill will get a run, as well as BMac, Southee, Boult, Kane. Plus they will probably want to see Henry bowl with the Duke? Might be a case of good timing for him as there probably won't be any room for Wags/Doug to play. And does anyone know will Anderson be fit to play?

Guptill
Latham (they will want him to get more practice in due to lack of matches in the last couple of months)
Kane
Taylor (k'arn Ross)
Baz
Anderson?
Watling
Craig
Southee
Henry
Boult

Gee that's the makings of a pretty good team.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I can't shake it either. But realistically, they're going to give Henry a go at some point and my prediction is that he's going to look undroppably good. Then it will be Southee, Boult and Henry for a good while and a golden age of New Zealand cricket.
TBF the same feeling I get about Bracewell and his performances are pretty similar to that I get about Guptill (for Tests at least). Everything seems like it might be there but it so rarely is.

I wish Bond wasn't leaving. Have Bracewell train with him out of the spotlight for 6 months to a year and see where he's at.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I can see Hesson working better with Watling than Kane tbh.
Nah, I get the feeling that the constant jetting around of Ronchi suggests that Hesson isn't the biggest Watling fan. Thankfully BJ has made himself completely and utterly undroppable.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Plus they will probably want to see Henry bowl with the Duke? Might be a case of good timing for him as there probably won't be any room for Wags/Doug to play.
The second warmup match isn't an official first class match, so NZ can field as many players as they like. I imagine all three of Wags, Doug and Henry will get a turn at bowling first change.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Reckon for the next match they'll have Guptill and Rutherford both open in a shoot-out, with Latham 3?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon for the next match they'll have Guptill and Rutherford both open in a shoot-out, with Latham 3?
Hmmm, probably not. Assuming he's available, I think they'll want KW getting some practice playing in his normal spot ahead of the first test. They might well give one of them a go at number 6 if Anderson still isn't fit.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
That was a pretty nothing statement.Effectively saying "when McCullum retires, McCullum will no longer be captain".

Well duh.
Err, he was saying that the stability of the Black Caps rest heavily on Hesson and McCullum.

Pretty important statements actually.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na it's a typical Kiwi mild mannered nothing statement.

He should have shot from the hip like a departing yank coach.

"NZC doesn't know what the hell its doing, McCullum and Hesson are holding the whole damn thing together, once they go NZ is going to be a lost cause and we'll plummet down the rankings."

Saying that there instability when you remove stability is the biggest nothing statement ever. Of course it'll be different. We know that, why? What are they doing wrong? Where are the failings? McCullum can't play forever, Hesson probably can't coach forever.

There will be instability when John Kirwan gets kicked from the Blues. The statement alone means bloody nothing.

Jezroy

State Captain
The second warmup match isn't an official first class match, so NZ can field as many players as they like. I imagine all three of Wags, Doug and Henry will get a turn at bowling first change.
I guess that means everyone will get a bat too.

Genius!

NZTailender

Na it's a typical Kiwi mild mannered nothing statement.

He should have shot from the hip like a departing yank coach.

"NZC doesn't know what the hell its doing, McCullum and Hesson are holding the whole damn thing together, once they go NZ is going to be a lost cause and we'll plummet down the rankings."

Saying that there instability when you remove stability is the biggest nothing statement ever. Of course it'll be different. We know that, why? What are they doing wrong? Where are the failings? McCullum can't play forever, Hesson probably can't coach forever.

There will be instability when John Kirwan gets kicked from the Blues. The statement alone means bloody nothing.
I think his point is if they can't handle something as trivial as tickets are they competent enough to handle the transition without ****ing it up like they have with him (and with Ross and the captaincy)?

Jezroy

State Captain
Checking out our old friend the ICC Test Rankings Predictor (still waiting for the May 1 refresh to kick in), but if England have a bad time against us, Aussie, and then Sth Africa, they could be 7th on the ladder. 7th.

Mind you, if we lose 2-0, and India beat Bangladesh, we could be 7th as well.

Flag this. Ratings refreshed. NZ ranked 3rd, but a real log jam between 3 and 7. Shows you that there is Sth Africa and Australia ahead (in the main) of everyone else at the moment, then 5 teams who can rock the apple cart on their day/at home.

Then West Indies.

Then Bangers.

Then Mash.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, though we lose 1-0 and we're still bumped all the way back down to 7th - and even if we manage a draw we're back down to 4th. Bruce Edgar wasn't kidding when he said that the NZC's back-slapping was premature. So, enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose!

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Actually before the last three overs he was 12-3-33-1, the next three have gone for 41 with two more balls to bowl

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, though we lose 1-0 and we're still bumped all the way back down to 7th - and even if we manage a draw we're back down to 4th. Bruce Edgar wasn't kidding when he said that the NZC's back-slapping was premature. So, enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose!

Let's take the glass half full approach - we beat England and then Australia loses to the Windies and we're no 2!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member