• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
South Africa In NZ discussion thread

The proteas are coming soon.What will happen? Will new Zealand still struggle against them? or will fleming lead the kiwis to a test series win and their 5th ODI series win in a row at home?

Well,I say if Bond and Astle are O.K,then it will no doubt be a very interesting series.

If they arent,with Fleming in brilliant form and Kallis in superhuman mode,I think this will be a good series.

Well,Im praying for good pitches.Not like the India in NZ tour pitches.Horrible,they were.

express your views on the upcoming series.

FRAZ

International Captain
I dont know why but my sixth sense is saying that South Africa is gonna loose the test series and i dont know why I am saying that .....

Craig

World Traveller
This would be South African touring squads:

Tests *GC SMith, HH Smith, JA Rudolph, JH Kallis, G Kirsten, ND McKenzie, +MV Boucher, L Klusener, SM Pollock, PA Adams/N Boje, A Nel, M Ntini, M Van Jaarsvelt, Reserve fast bowler.

Martin Van Jaarsvelt is the reserve batsman.

cbuts

International Debutant
bond is out till hopefully the pommies. both teams are gonna e going in full of conidence should be great series, both odis and tests

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig, its Van Jaarsveld.. just a minor gripe :D

Any news on Nicky Bojé? I hope his leg is better, IMO he is the only SA spinner worth his salt...

anzac

International Debutant
RSA are the number 2 ranked Test nation and are the much stronger team across the park on paper - with the possible exception of the spin bowling which is not usually a factor so far as NZ pitches are concerned. Further more they are unlikely to find the conditions as 'alien' as any team from the sub-continent, & nor are they likely to exhibit the Jeckle & Hyde personality / behaviour of Pakistan........

The recent Pakistan Home Test Series IMO did nothing to answer any of the issues re the NZ Test side - :
*Jones has yet to convince as Opening partner for Richardson;
*Cairns appears to be coming into some form with the bat in the Shield Games, but this is hardly an indication re his Test form, particularly with the ball;
*Vettori still does not have a definative No2 & so Wiseman is likely to be retained in this capacity for the Test series;
*Butler has pace but is predictable & at times erratic - the rest of the seam bowlers used have a very similar pace & look about them;
*apart from Richardson & Fleming no other NZ batsman in the PAK series exhibited the sort of graft / determination required at International level;

whereas RSA has a very settled side....

I think it will be unlikely that both Bond & Astle will make an appearance in the series, let alone have an impact.........accordingly I do not see NZ making any improvement on it's current Test ranking & even less so if the selectors do not try to introduce new blood, which if they do I would like to see them give the newbie/s an extended run as they have Cumming in the ODI squad (not that I agree with his selection beyond the series in PAK let alone the return ODIs in NZ)......

8D

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
I think it will be unlikely that both Bond & Astle will make an appearance in the series, let alone have an impact.........
Why not Astle, Anzac? I haven't heard anyone say this arthritic knee problem is something that's unmanageable. He scored some runs on their last tour and our pitches in Feb-March are usually just the way Astle likes them.

If NZ cricket are smart rather than stuck in their ways, they'll have all the grass on the test pitches shaved off days early. Worst we should do with this method is draw 0-0, no doubt improving our ranking. If we're lucky, Vettori or perhaps Bruce Martin if he got a chance (who seems to turn it more than Vettori and gets good drift) might actually win us a test.

Q. Which New Zealanders led NZ to its only test victory over South Africa since readmission?

A: Simon Doull and Matthew Hart. No, not with his batting... :P

Harry

Cricket Spectator
I hope Chris Harris is named for the ODIs, he has performed well in the state shield.

I can't see Adams making it if he can't even make the North Island team

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Harry said:
I hope Chris Harris is named for the ODIs, he has performed well in the state shield.

I can't see Adams making it if he can't even make the North Island team
yea he has....Him and Cairns are a deadly duo when in good form.

if harris,Astle and Cairns are in form,with fleming at his brilliant best,South Africa will not have a walk in the park against New Zealand.

I think that astle will be ready...I got a gut feeling.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark my words, New Zealand will have to be at close to their best to beat South Africa in both the tests & ODI's.
Regardless of how NZ play, they won't be pushovers though.

FRAZ

International Captain
Tim said:
Mark my words, New Zealand will have to be at close to their best to beat South Africa in both the tests & ODI's.
Regardless of how NZ play, they won't be pushovers though.
I am gonna put money on Kiwis in tests . And one dayers are gonna be in SA's favour . Note down this prediction !!!!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think we'll see a repeat of the debacle against Pakistan at the Basin when South Africa come.
New Zealand should have done far better with that lead they had established by the morning of Day 4.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
South African squad for New Zealand :-

Squad Graeme Smith (capt), Mark Boucher (wk), Nicky Boje, Boeta Dippenaar, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, Lance Klusener, Albie Morkel, Mfuneko Ngam, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Shaun Pollock, Ashwell Prince, Jacques Rudolph.

* Dippenaar, Prince, Peterson and Klusener replaced by Paul Adams, Gary Kirsten, Neil McKenzie and Martin van Jaarsveld for Test series.

The biggest news?

NGAM is back.. thats such a good news. I cant wait to see him rock the kiwis ..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Biggest shock to me is Kirsten not retiring - but I guess he's still got the ability - just hope he does bow out before he loses it!

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Why not Astle, Anzac? I haven't heard anyone say this arthritic knee problem is something that's unmanageable. He scored some runs on their last tour and our pitches in Feb-March are usually just the way Astle likes them.

If NZ cricket are smart rather than stuck in their ways, they'll have all the grass on the test pitches shaved off days early. Worst we should do with this method is draw 0-0, no doubt improving our ranking. If we're lucky, Vettori or perhaps Bruce Martin if he got a chance (who seems to turn it more than Vettori and gets good drift) might actually win us a test.

Q. Which New Zealanders led NZ to its only test victory over South Africa since readmission?

A: Simon Doull and Matthew Hart. No, not with his batting... :P

don't get me wrong - I rate Astle as our best batsman after Fleming, but I have a bad feeling about this injury - wasn't he coming back from knee injury on the Indian Tour & broke down again in the 2nd Test? - I just have a sence of deja vu re Vettori & Cairns' problems over the past few seasons.....as in coming back too early & then having an extended period of being fit then injured etc........

I'd prefer if he sat out the ODI series & concentrated on the Test Series - esp as he has yet to play any cricket.........I just can't see him lasting the full tour if he plays all the ODIs first up.............

unfortunately we currently do not have a swing bowler to replace Doull's role in the squads - apart from Mills when he gets a chance in the ODIs.......

it would be interesting to see if the selectors would play both Martin & Vettori with both being LAO - they usually like to have a contrast in spin attacks..........even tho' Martin has been the form spin bowler this domestic season........

:)

anzac

International Debutant
Harry said:

where would you play him & what would your lineup then be like???????

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Biggest shock to me is Kirsten not retiring - but I guess he's still got the ability - just hope he does bow out before he loses it!
Right now he looks better than I've ever seen him. A joy to watch.

Mingster

State Regular
Harris has been in good form in SS. Yes. But Bracewell said in the Herald that he still doesn't think Harris can make the step up and still perform at that level.

Funny that Anzac, the selectors are thinking exactly opposite to you and wants to play Astle in ODIs only to reach his dream of playing in another World Cup.

Craig

World Traveller
Unless it has been done, I think we should turn this into the Offical thread. Since it starts in a week in a half or so time.

Pratyush is that ODIs or Tests?

Ashwell Prince? What on earth has he done to get into the South African team?