Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Furball fixes English cricket

Evil Scotsman

Furball fixes English cricket

Feel like this is a pretty decent time given Jono's "the ECB are dickheads" thread. They're ideas I've had for a while as to how the English game could be fixed - some of them might be controversial but I'm hoping they'll engender a bit of discussion.

You support Scotland. You don't get a say.
    zorax likes this.

Evil Scotsman
    1. A New Top Level

One of the fundamental problems with the English game is the sheer number of counties which dilutes the talent in the First Class game, and the sheer volume of cricket that gets played in the English First Class summer. On the one hand, the volume of cricket can be a good thing because of amount of experience a player can get - 5 seasons worth of County Cricket sees a player play 80 FC games in England as opposed to a maximum of 55 games in Shield Cricket down under - but IMO there's a happy medium that needs to be met.

And I think that happy medium is 8 First Class franchises. This does not mean abolishing the County game as it is altogether - I would move County Cricket to a 3 day format, and it would no longer be the top level of the game in much the same way that South African Provincial cricket functions - but simply that I would introduce a new level above County Cricket. And I would involve the counties themselves by making the counties the stakeholders in each of the FC franchises. Each Franchise would be based at one of the main 8 Test grounds, with at least one of the lesser FC counties also taking an equal stake in the new franchise. Based on Geography, this would leave the 8 Franchises being:

Yorkshire (Durham)
    Lancashire (Derbyshire)
    Nottinghamshire (Leicestershire)
    Warwickshire (Worcestershire, Northamptonshire)
    Middlesex (Essex)
    Surrey (Kent)
    Hampshire (Sussex)
    Glamorgan (Gloucestershire, Somerset)

So that would be 8 teams in all 3 major competitions - First Class, List A and Twenty20. Each franchise would be allowed to sign one overseas player (subject to strict eligibility criteria), with more allowed for Twenty20 cricket. More on this later.

This would concentrate the talent within the English game, strengthening it at the top level.

Part 2: April and May.
    kingkallis likes this.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    You support Scotland. You don't get a say.
    Scotland are included in my proposals.

Now I don't want to come across all Scaly here but getting rid of Durham (yeah I know they are 'stakeholders' but that is basically bull****) is an interesting move.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    last one in first out out tbh
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Missed a great opportunity to upset two uppity counties by combining Lancashire and Yorkshire.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Rename ECB to Cricket England and Wales.

Done, all fixed. Apparently.
    zorax likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    I like the two tier structure. Don't have a problem with more first class games. Gives more experience to the players.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    The two division structure has already answered the problem of diluting the talent pool, and kept happy the traditionalist types who are the cricketing equivalent of terrorists, the sort of crazy folk who would kill anyone who suggested that Yorkshire and Lancashire should merge (and btw, just out of interest, could anyone tell me where Iain O'Brien's dustbins are currently located?)

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The two division structure has already answered the problem of diluting the talent pool
    No not really, as the talent isn't concentrated in Division 1. There are lots of players good enough for Division 1 teams playing Division 2. It's a very inefficient way of increasing the standard.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    I'd like to see Danish Kaneria's plans to fix English cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    No not really, as the talent isn't concentrated in Division 1. There are lots of players good enough for Division 1 teams playing Division 2. It's a very inefficient way of increasing the standard.
    It certainly is concentrated to division one to an extent. Of course there's going to be overlap but in general the standard in the top tier is much stronger IMO. It's not perfect, but it's also much less of a compromise than actually merging teams which are hundreds of years old; which is really, only an idea someone with no real interest in county cricket and no affiliation with any of the teams would suggest. I mean, it's pretty crazy. Imagine telling Furball, or anyone for that matter, about the potential merging of Arsenal and Tottenham, and Sunderland and Newcastle together, for the good of the English National team. He'd tell you it's a stupid idea and you should get stuffed.

You can improve the talent pool with adjustments. Increasing the financial gap between the tiers, allowing more overseas players, encouraging international to play more. You don't have to destroy county cricket and completely build again, removing the history of the teams in the process.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings, Stoneman, Denly, Roy | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati.

It also allows the smaller, but well run clubs, such as Durham and Sussex to continue to prosper. Of course we have the problem of sides like Leicestershire being permanently terrible but they still have the chance of turning it around.

If it was a proven fact that it was the number of counties that was to blame for all our problems then I would be reluctant to change things but would probably accept it, but as it is I think it is just something people assume to be true.
    grecian likes this.

Cabs is so #AgainstModernCricket
    Jono, zorax and Cabinet96 like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information