Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Win Shares: Finding Clutch Performers

International Vice-Captain viriya's Avatar

Win Shares: Finding Clutch Performers

I'm thinking of implementing a win shares measure in cricket - not necessarily similar to the one in basketball even though the I'm borrowing the name.

I can already compute odds for each team after each over based on historical matches - this is used for live odds based on current match situation. The idea is to attribute changes in win odds to the players involved in an over. As an example, say Steve Smith and James Faulkner are batting and Vettori is bowling with Australia at 220/5 at 40 overs chasing 305. The odds as it stands are Aus 50% and NZ 50%. Steve Smith proceeds to take Vettori apart for 15 in the 41st over, and the odds change to Aus 60% and NZ 40%. In this case Smith will be attributed +10% in win shares while Vettori will get -10%. If Faulkner got 5 of the 15 runs scored in that over, he gets +3.33% (5/15) while Smith gets +6.67%.

After a completed match (assuming no tie/NR), the winning team's players will have a sum total of +100% win shares while the losing team will have -100%. Clutch performers who win games late such as Dhoni would get a big portion of the win shares in close games. Say a game is 50-50 going into the 50th over and Dhoni gets 10 runs to win the game on his own. He will be attributed +50% in win shares while the bowler gets -50%.

Over the course of a career, I would be able to calculate the winners and losers and clutch performers. The shares attributed would probably need to be adjusted based on team strengths - so a +20% win shares vs Bangladesh isn't equated to be the same as vs Australia.

Any ideas/suggestions/comments appreciated.
    Last edited by viriya; 24-02-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

cool idea.

I'm not too keen on the win = + 100 and loss = -100 but that's how it has to work really, and it just means you hae to understand the stat.

I must be missing something here.

So the maximum team total is +100% win shares, and if Dohni scores 10 in the last over to win the game he'll get 50% of that.......leaving only 50% left for the rest of the side?? What if Kohli has made a hundred earlier in the innings and (as unlikely as this may sound) an Indian bowler has taken a 5fer to restrict the total required??

50% for MSD to polish off the innings seems extraordinarily high...........or was that just a loose example?

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I must be missing something here.

So the maximum team total is +100% win shares, and if Dohni scores 10 in the last over to win the game he'll get 50% of that.......leaving only 50% left for the rest of the side?? What if Kohli has made a hundred earlier in the innings and (as unlikely as this may sound) an Indian bowler has taken a 5fer to restrict the total required??

50% for MSD to polish off the innings seems extraordinarily high...........or was that just a loose example?
    Kohli might have something like +25%.. that Indian bowler might have +20%.. the rest of the Indian team might have 5%. It only has to add up to 100% - Dhoni won them the match and gets the bulk.

This can be an issue possibly where finishers benefit significantly - I think this will mean that when comparing win shares you have to compare like for like - Dhoni would not be a good comparison for Kohli, Sanga would be.

That 5% for the rest of the team can have negatives and positives - just because the win % has to add up to +100% doesn't mean that Yadav doesn't get -15% after going for 75 off his 10 overs.. it just means that there's someone else that has a positive to counter that.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    How does this take into account who has overs left? 85 in 10 overs changes from a 50/50 proposition based on whether you've got Southee and Corey Anderson bowling death overs compared to Ishant and Bhuvi, for example.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quotes of the Year:
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    All hail KW, GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    *These quotes may read differently out of context

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Y U do this viriya? Y?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    How does this take into account who has overs left? 85 in 10 overs changes from a 50/50 proposition based on whether you've got Southee and Corey Anderson bowling death overs compared to Ishant and Bhuvi, for example.
    It wouldn't. But I'd imagine any win shares you get for a game will be adjusted by the opposition strength (say opposition team ranking) so that a +10% vs India's bowling is differentiated from +10% vs NZ's.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I actually thought this thread was about a competition to win some BHP shares or something. I dunno.
    Jono likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viriya View Post
    It wouldn't. But I'd imagine any win shares you get for a game will be adjusted by the opposition strength (say opposition team ranking) so that a +10% vs India's bowling is differentiated from +10% vs NZ's.
    This is a good point, I'll probably work on getting the odds calculator a little more robust by taking team strength and momentum into account before diving into the win shares implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by viriya View Post
    Nah, this is unnecessary.

Win shares shouldn't be adjusted by the strength of the opposition. Just the actual contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Nah, this is unnecessary.

Win shares shouldn't be adjusted by the strength of the opposition. Just the actual contribution.
    It wouldn't be necessary if the odds calculator already takes that into account which it doesn't currently. At the moment it doesn't so it tends to be inaccurate vs minnow teams especially.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I actually thought this thread was about a competition to win some BHP shares or something. I dunno.
    Would be nice if they gave away some better shares than BHP tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Would be nice if they gave away some better shares than BHP tbh.
    Just about the best time to get them imo.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Actually I should clarify something - if done properly it won't be +100% for the winning team and -100% for the losing. It would be dependent on what the team odds were at the start of the game.

So for the SL vs Ban game coming up tomorrow, SL starts with 80% win odds, so if SL end up winning, SL players will only be able to gain +20% win shares total. Bangladesh however, if they pull off a win can game +80% win shares (-80% for SL players in that case).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information