• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible restrictions on bats being looked at

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've said it before, so it won't stop me from saying it again... If every batsman can have their own bat, then every bowler should have their own ball.

That should balance things out a bit.
Or do whatever we want to the ball, save peeling the whole damn skin off. Bring on the Murray mints, Vaseline or as one current England player used in his time as an overseas player in NZ, sandpaper disguised as a bandaid.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just minimize runs that can be scored off an edge to 2. If you didn't get the ball where you intended it to go, you don't get the four or the six. Would be awesome.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

cnerd123

likes this
Or do whatever we want to the ball, save peeling the whole damn skin off. Bring on the Murray mints, Vaseline or as one current England player used in his time as an overseas player in NZ, sandpaper disguised as a bandaid.
That's genius. I am so tempted to try that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Under that premise, we should allow golf clubs and balls to be bigger, made out of space age ridiculous technology etc. It's nice to have restrictions on how ridiculously power-based, and not skill-based, both sports can get to. No one wants rocket launchers in either sport - well I certainly do not. Long live the craftsmen.
Yeah I agree and it just shows you how innovative these bat makers have had to be. Cricket's one of the few sports where the main things, bat and ball, have seen virtually zero innovation or change in materials yet we've seen advances just in changing the shape distribution of the wood. The power gains are completely over-blown but they're there and the bats definitely feel different so kudos for that. Innovation like that shouldn't be punished, personally. Certainly not for some arbitrary reason like too many sixezzzz.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Restrict bat dimensions and enforce a 75 metre (or smth like that) minimum boundary length. Easy.

4 men in the deep is a good idea as it doesn't allow sides to sit on 10 part-time overs per match. Encourages them to either play 5 good bowlers, or bowl more aggressively for wickets throughout the innings.

Still unsure on 2 new balls. It has it perks, but it has killed reverse swing.

If, as a whole, cricket allowed fielding sides to do what they like with the ball (as long as no foreign objects are used), then 2 new balls is perfect. Exploit them for swing and seam movement, then wreck them and get reverse swing. Not that sides don't do it anyways, but if they don't need to worry about being discreet they can do so much better.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I also do not understand the rule whereby a fielder must remain completely within the rope even after completing a catch

After all, if a rugby player gets the ball down before going into touch, it is still a try irrespective of where he ends up
In rugby when the ball is down, play is stopped as the event is complete.

In cricket, at that point the player doesn't have control of the ball so the event isn't complete.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just minimize runs that can be scored off an edge to 2. If you didn't get the ball where you intended it to go, you don't get the four or the six. Would be awesome.
along with making it virtually impossible to umpire

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
All runs that are not scored off an edge should be discounted imo.

In fact, any shot that does not result in an edge should result in the batsman being given out.