• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm only saying this because posts get resurrected on CW after 9-10 years quite often - I reckon Williamson will finish with an ODI average of 55 and a Test average of 60.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Personally, I think KW will end his career with 16000 runs at 90, 454 wickets at 22, and have the Church of the Big Daddy Kane opened in his honour.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It seems inevitable that unless he has major injury and form problems that Williamson will be NZ's greatest batsman.

What does he need to do to eclipse Hadlee as our greatest CRICKETER?

Average 55+ in both forms?

Lead us to no1 in the world in 3-4 years?

Win the 2019 & 2023 WCs?

Serious question

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems inevitable that unless he has major injury and form problems that Williamson will be NZ's greatest batsman.

Win the 2019 & 2023 WCs?

Serious question
Have an epicly long career and keep piling up the runs throughout.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Win the 2019 & 2023 WCs?

Serious question
Hadlee was listed in the top 10 cricketers ever on CW's top 50. Crowe finished in the 40s iirc. For Williamson to finish in the top 8 cricketers of all time I would say he would have to have a test average over 65 and go over 450 runs in an inning. What he does in ODIs won't matter.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah you guys are up the wrong tree, *all* he needs to do is be an ATG batsman and competent enough bowler plus continue being world class in the field and become an excellent tactician as captain.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nah you guys are up the wrong tree, *all* he needs to do is be an ATG batsman and competent enough bowler plus continue being world class in the field and become an excellent tactician as captain.
He said to overtake Hadlee. And also how does he become an ATG batsman. What standard does he need to meet.

Flem274*

123/5
Ay, there are whole threads dedicated to deciding what an ATG batsman is.

If he added high class captaincy and continued the gun fielding to being a genuine fifth bowler and an ATG batsman he would overtake Hadlee.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rubbish, Hadlee is a top ten ATG bowler and maybe even higher ATG all rounder. Kane would have to be better than Ponting to overtake him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rubbish, Hadlee is a top ten ATG bowler and maybe even higher ATG all rounder. Kane would have to be better than Ponting to overtake him.
Finally.Common Sense.

It is ridiculous to even speculate on him overtaking Hadlee anyway. He would have to walk on water basically. Unless there are only 3-4 ATG batsman in the history of cricket then he would have to do a lot more than be an ATG batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
If Williamson was an ATG batsman and took his wickets at an average of say, 35 over 100 tests and continued to be world class in the field and was a comparable leader to Baz, Fleming, Crowe etc he would be an ATG allrounder and in the argument for better than Hadlee....

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is reminding me of Bradman vs Tendulkar.

Hadlee was incredible. Kane will forever be a part time bowler. Hypothesising about him being an allrounder is like projecting Doug Bracewell to be a top 6 batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
That's hyperbole and you know it.

If you're going to be so dogmatic then there is no point in discussing it. Hadlee is the second best bowling allrounder to play the game behind Imran Khan (who was a slightly lesser bowler and better batsman by just enough to pip Paddles for number one) but he wasn't Jesus. If Kane can do what I listed then the intangibles like captaincy will put him right up there with Hadlee.

As for whether you think he can be that good at bowling, this question isn't about what he will do but what he would need to do to be better than Hadlee. I am in no way predicting KW to be better than Sir Paddles.

I think his bowling has a bit more potential than you do though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
100 @35 would be pretty close to our best spinner ever. 45 is far more likely, and I'd take that

Flem274*

123/5
100 tests not 100 wickets, though I guess after 100 tests as a hypothetical fifth bowler that good he'd be in the 80-150 test wickets range anyway.

Really? Vettori light years ahead in my book.

Oddly enough Craig just needs to bring that average down a bit and produce a few more match winning hauls to have john bracewell worried.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's hyperbole and you know it.

If you're going to be so dogmatic then there is no point in discussing it. Hadlee is the second best bowling allrounder to play the game behind Imran Khan (who was a slightly lesser bowler and better batsman by just enough to pip Paddles for number one) but he wasn't Jesus. If Kane can do what I listed then the intangibles like captaincy will put him right up there with Hadlee.

As for whether you think he can be that good at bowling, this question isn't about what he will do but what he would need to do to be better than Hadlee. I am in no way predicting KW to be better than Sir Paddles.

I think his bowling has a bit more potential than you do though.
How many wickets did he get in the first inning. How many overs did he bowl in the first inning.

Playing your scenario of what it would take for him to be an allrounder and overtake Paddles. He would need to take at least 150 and preferably 200 wickets to be come into the ATG all rounder conversations. Any less than that and the average he takes them at is not important. E.g. 100 wickets at 35 is pish posh to be compared to Khan, and Hadlee as allrounders. Kallis barely makes the conversation despite have 292 wickets.

He is a batsman and should only be considered as such. Captaincy could help him, but hasn't tended to have helped players in their ranking conversations over the years except for Jardine.

Flem274*

123/5
Again you're not understanding my post. I said need, not would.

Kallis is a better allrounder than Hadlee. Test standard bowler and ATG bat plus good set of hands > ATG bowler, competent lower order bat averaging less than 30.