• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Some people believe that rather than seeking home advantage, grounds men all over the world should aim for that "perfect" pitch where it seams day one, is flat days 2 and 3, and dries out days 4 and 5 - I.e. Something for everyone.

If that's Harris' belief then yeah you could say those pitches were shockers as there was no attempt to give the seamers the first session. You could also be moderately frustrated with the pitches in this series.

Not saying it's my belief, just a different perspective.

I just find it funny he didn't feel that way after last years' Ashes where he clearly points out it was too much towards the fast bowlers... As I said, it was a classic whinge after being beaten.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bowl out opposition on day 1.

Bat out days 2 and 3.

Bowl out opposition on day 4.

"Perfect pitch".

I find every single greentop and seamers paradise to be the most boring cricket I Have ever seen.. And I think a turning pitch with couple of spinners running rampant and men around the bat and batsmen totally lost as to what to do next makes for much much more exciting cricket...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think Harris was whinging about the loss in India (which was down to poor preparation, team management and being outplayed than the pitch conditions) just that he was expecting to be looked after by our groundsmen.

Just on the Brissie practice wickets issue I can see the logic in having the practice wickets deteriorate as the game pitch but it runs the risk of incidents occurring as happened to Dhawan. I'd have thought batsman would want a practice session where you get time middling the ball and building confidence before facing challenges in the middle. If you play on a deteriorating practice wicket and end up only edging or getting bowled by the balls that don't hit you then I wonder about the value of that in preparation for your innings.

Calling those pitches "Shockers" when it is how wickets have been in the subcontinent for ages is the very definition of whinging about that loss...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Last year's wickets were flat. They just had some extra pace in them to make them good cricket wickets. Adelaide's been the best cricket wicket in the series thus far.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, while complaining about Indian wickets reeks of sour grapes, I do think the wickets haven't been spicy enough. All 3 wickets have been flat as a pancake (particularly Adelaide and Melbourne), and have allowed the Indian batsmen to settle in far better than what they did in England or over here last time. I understand that going for greentops make the toss too important, but the obvious option was to make a wicket with lots of natural bounce but true enough to punish bad bowling and reward good batting.

AWTA.. And I honestly think a good spinner will always find a way to be a threat on a wicket with decent bounce, just like a good fast bowler will always find a way to remain a threat on a roughed and scoffed up dustbowl... There are times when a genuinely fast bowler reverse swinging the ball is a bigger threat than some run of the mill spinners on dustbowls...

Didn't McGrath, Kasper and Gillespie show how good they can be on pitches far worse than the 2013 ones during the 2004 series in India?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How was he beaten? He got 6 wickets and could very well have won the match if he had more overs to bowl.

He = his team.. And this is about his whinge on the tracks they played in India.. He was not part of the XIs there but that just makes it even more stupid that he would call those tracks as "shockers"...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Last year's wickets were flat. They just had some extra pace in them to make them good cricket wickets. Adelaide's been the best cricket wicket in the series thus far.

Don't you think Adelaide was as interesting as it was only because of the rough created for the offie? I mean, I still think it would have been flat had there been little less rough for Lyon to work with... As such, the track itself didn't help any of the bowlers too much IMO.. Which is why the INdian guys struggled and only the best in the Aussie line up posed a threat...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ric Finlay ‏@RicFinlay 30s31 seconds ago
I'm thinking 2013-14, 59 wkts @ 15.23 will be the pinnacle of Mitch's career.

Man who saw that coming?!?

the big bambino

International Captain
Believe Ric passed his peak but we didn't know it at the time until we could compare his previous crud with his subsequent crudier crud.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Absolutely love Rogers, such a gritty guy and he brings a ton of character to the team. Deserves a big daddy ton. I too will be sad when he retires.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Usually I'd be spitting chips at Raina playing but if Rahul played those shots not due to team instructions but because he's just a dumb ****, well...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Usually I'd be spitting chips at Raina playing but if Rahul played those shots not due to team instructions but because he's just a dumb ****, well...
Rohit's got to come back in that case surely. The last thing this Indian team needs is a ton from Raina in a dead rubber with no Mitch to expose his biggest weakness, leading to him being picked above Rohit in the future.

He'll probably be embarassed by Harris anyway though.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Newly retired MS Dhoni continued to be with the side, and bowled quite enthusiastically in the nets. Wriddhiman Saha's right thumb was heavily strapped, but he kept wicket and batted without much discomfort. All things being similar Saha will add to his three Test caps in two days' time, but in the unlikely scenario of his missing out, Dhoni will have to come out of retirement.

Yesss.