• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Marius

International Debutant
One thing that I find heartening about Afghanistan and Ireland's success is that both countries (especially iin the case of Afghanistan) rely on homegrown players. Ireland might have the odd Saffa or Aussie, but it's not like teams like Canada, UAE, or even the Netherlands to a degree,

Sarun

U19 Debutant
I wonder how WI will fare in the series against Afghanistan. Could fatally undercut their chances (currently dire) of automatic WC qualification.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Nabi certainly is showing he belongs with the big boys. Imagine an absolute meltdown by a Kohli or a Smith if this happened in a test. You can't say you don't want to see this happen at some stage.

Afghanistan allrounder Mohammad Nabi has been a thorn in the side of Ireland in each nation's battle for Associate supremacy. On a few occasions, Nabi's Irish needling has been down to his loose adherence to the gentlemanly code expected of cricketers on the field. Far more often though, he has kept Irish eyes from smiling due to his knack of turning in match-winning performances.

On Wednesday, he provided a moment in relation to the former, claiming a catch that was in fact a drop and,
as was communicated during the television commentary, earned him a hearing in front of the match referee. On Thursday, it was the latter that put him center stage as he shredded Ireland's batting order with 6 for 40 after the follow-on was enforced. His effort stamped an authoritative seal on an innings victory for Afghanistan inside three days to move them one point past Ireland, and into the lead on the Intercontinental Cup table with two rounds to go.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
One thing that I find heartening about Afghanistan and Ireland's success is that both countries (especially iin the case of Afghanistan) rely on homegrown players. Ireland might have the odd Saffa or Aussie, but it's not like teams like Canada, UAE, or even the Netherlands to a degree,
Yea I second this, both countries have 4-day FC comps now if I am not mistaken and that really goes along way. Netherlands had some homegrown players coming through but cricket is a bit too alien now there I believe with the UK going to pay-tv model for English cricket, cricket is hardly seen on local tv or anything like that to create any level of interest at youth level.

Second XI is an excellent book for anyone wanting to delve more into the associate nations and what has happened to them over the last 10-20 years or so.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While this series is happening, Afghan actually have an Under 23 side playing in the ACC Emerging Nations cup

ACC Emerging Teams Cup | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

They actually beat the India U-23s too.
Group A: India Under-23s v Afghanistan Emerging Team at Chittagong, Mar 30, 2017 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

My boi Mayank Dagar was in that XI.

Meanwhile HK got thrashed in all three games :(
Nah, only Ban, Pak, SL and India are U-23.

Daemon

When this was held in SG I recall my ex captain ****ing the chase up in a game we could've won against SL. Captain smashed his bat and he hasn't played since lol.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Check out the Afgh side tho. Half of them are U-23. A couple of them are U-19.

Even the other nations U-23 teams are allowed 2 players over 23 in the XIs if I remember correctly. Pr
so half of them are 31 and some of them are 27

stumpski

International Captain
Leinster Lightning beat North West Warriors by 105 runs at Dublin today - the first ever domestic List A game in Ireland? A little bit of history if so. I don't know if Simi Singh and Samarasooriya, who top scored for their respective sides, are eligible for the national team but they could be names to look out for.

Daemon

We lost to Uganda but beat the US today. Malaysia's had a very poor tournament so far, they really should've beat us and USA. Beat Canada though which was surprising. Been a very unpredictable competition.

Daemon

100 ao against Oman. Looks like Div 3 is where we belong at this point, feels about right tbh.