• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Yorkshire be granted Test status?

Should Yorkshire be granted Test status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cpr

International Coach
Not even close.
Quite close actually, Sachin played for Yorks in 92, Vaughan in 93. He was originally rejected from the Yorkshire academy for being born in Manchester and only selected when the rule was lifted

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Quite close actually, Sachin played for Yorks in 92, Vaughan in 93. He was originally rejected from the Yorkshire academy for being born in Manchester and only selected when the rule was lifted
It is never just one thing but the rule would not have been lifted when it was if it wasnt for potentially losing Vaughan. The Vaughan factor tipped the scales. Just bringing in overseas players wasnt enough of a reason to change.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The Yorkshire born rule was only in force from the 60s iirc. They had a captain before the first world war that was born in Devon. I think this makes all their subsequent titles null and void.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Yorkshire born rule was only in force from the 60s iirc. They had a captain before the first world war that was born in Devon. I think this makes all their subsequent titles null and void.
The fact that Lord Hawke was born outside Yorkshire should mean that, but for some reason doesn't

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What county side would Devon people follow. Most of my ancestry comes from Peter Tavy, Tavistock.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I still maintain that an AT Yorkshire XI would be better than quite a few AT line ups from some test nations.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What would the side look like?
In 2006 readers of the Yorkshire Post selected the following 1st and 2nd XI teams based on contributions to YCCC. If it was an alltime Yorkshire XI though then players who did well for other counties (eg Laker), those who played more for the national team such as Gough and Hoggard, those who were early legends like Colonel The Honourable Sir Francis Stanley Jackson, P.C., G.C.I.E, Peate and Peel, those born outside the county but raised there eg Vaughan and those who had a rocky record with establishment such as Wardle could all be considered. Over 90 Yorkshire born players have played for England.

1stXI
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Leyland
Lehmann
Close
Hirst
Rhodes
Binks
Trueman
Bowes
Verity

2ndXI
Boycott
Holmes
Mitchell
Denton
Watson
Illingworth
Kilner
Bairstow
Haigh
Emmett
Appleyard

My personal XI would be

Hutton
Sutcliffe
Boycott
Leyland
Close
Hirst
Rhodes
Gough
Binks
Trueman
Verity

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think there's a much greater case for reducing them (and Lancashire) to Minor County status just for inflicting Darren Gough (and David Lloyd) on the media.

cpr

International Coach
In that case, there's a argument for disqualifying Lancs for Flintoffs treading in celebrity circles...

You can also thank us for Ronnie Irani.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can someone even purport to rank the forty greatest Yorkies and not mention Emmott Robinson?