• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

watson

Banned
Here is Richie Benaud interviewing Alan Knott for 1 hour 45 mins with a ton of footage. There is everything from Sobers bowling his chinaman to Knott in 1968 to a brilliant Wasim Bari catch as Knott rates his contemporaries. And of course there are dozens of dismisals by Knott himself. The quality of film is a bit disappointing but you can't have everything.

watson

Banned
Here is 16 minutes of Imran Khan bowling from 1975 to 1992. The editing is pretty ordinary but the first 2 minutes are worth a look because it shows Imran's medium paced bowling action before it evolved into the bowling action that we are all familiar with. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
A nice documentary that has Hadlee commentating the extended highlights from his own favorite Test matches and bowling spells. Best footage of Kiwi cricket from the 70s and 80s any where, especially when beating Clive Lloyd's team at home.

What a bowler.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is Richie Benaud interviewing Alan Knott for 1 hour 45 mins with a ton of footage. There is everything from Sobers bowling his chinaman to Knott in 1968 to a brilliant Wasim Bari catch as Knott rates his contemporaries. And of course there are dozens of dismisals by Knott himself. The quality of film is a bit disappointing but you can't have everything.

Excellent video. First time I had ever heard Alan Knott speak at length, such an intelligent and energetic guy. Some of those catches he took against the Windies in that video are out of this world. Lightning reflexes, almost unmatched in today's game.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You post a lot of **** I don't agree with in the politics threads, watson but your contribution in here is massive. Genuinely great stuff

smash84

The Tiger King
Here is 16 minutes of Imran Khan bowling from 1975 to 1992. The editing is pretty ordinary but the first 2 minutes are worth a look because it shows Imran's medium paced bowling action before it evolved into the bowling action that we are all familiar with. Unbelievable.

Indeed, the transformation is unbelievable. Probably the only bowler in history who could go from a medium pace trundler to an all out express bowler at the international level.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Indeed, the transformation is unbelievable. Probably the only bowler in history who could go from a medium pace trundler to an all out express bowler at the international level.
Yeh. Ryan Harris did it too, but at FC level.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i'm looking after an elderly patient at work at the moment who holds the record for most SCG tests attended. went 60 years without missing day 1 of the new year's scg test and is the oldest living SCG member

Can't name him for confidentiality reasons(not that id disclose any clinical information) but there's been articles written about him before in the daily telegraph

anyway he saw the bodyline series as a young boy, met Bradman, had Hutton visit his house for some reason, was taught by Bill O'Reilly at school and was close friends with Keith Miller

fascinating man and i've had some amazing conversations recently with him

Last edited:

mr_mister

i asked him if Bradman was the hermit he was made out to be and his response was 'not really, but he had his own style'

watson

Banned
Make sure that you ask as many good questions as you can Mr.Mr so you don't regret it later.

I met Bill O'Reilly at Sutherland Hospital in 1989 (?) and got his autograph and everything. However, despite the fact that he was bored and actually wanted a chat I was too bloody stupid to take the opportunity.

Of all the things that I could have asked:

"Using this here orange can you please show me your standard grip for the leg-break and then for the googly. Do you know how Sydney Barnes spun the ball? If so, can you please demonstrate that as well? Be honest, was Barnes better than you?"

"How quick was Larwood compared to say, Michael Holding? And was the Don really scared of his pace, or was that just Jardine spreading fantasy? How did you get on with Jardine, and what was he really like?"

"Who in your opinion is the best English batsman out of Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, and Hutton? And did Leyland really have you "in his pocket" as Hutton said?"

The list is endless really. Damn.

Last edited:

Burgey

Just so nonchalantly bopping blokes over long on and long off for six.

ZVery, very few blokes used to do that in Viv's day. In fact, I can only think of him and Botham who hit off side sixes semi-regularly in that era. Viv lots of them, Botham a lot less.

mr_mister

i find offside sixes far easier to hit, surprised its such a rare phenomenon at international level

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And it happened relatively quickly after 1975, didn't it? He certainly looked pretty sharp in the 1977 footage against WI and, from what I've read he was also genuinely fast in Australia 12 months earlier.

Burgey

IIRC he finished in the top two or three behind Thommo on hat world's fastest bowler comp around 77-78 as well.