• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Just found this. It's got me confused about the back foot no ball rule! also, the narrator mentions Larwood bowling at 70 mph.

This thread is a gold mine. Thanks to everyone who've posted these vids.

This comment about Larwoods speed is interesting. I thought he was well into the late 85+mph in terms of speed? I am sure I've seen that discussed before on some threads on this forum. I've actively been trying to ascertain his speed and hence been reading a bunch of old threads here.

70mph is 112kmph..that seems very low?? I thought he was pushing 140kmph?? I know there was that speed test done in the late 70's by UWA which estimated him to bowl around 85+ mph using footage..do any of you guys know if there's been any advancement in trying to figure out the speeds of the bowlers from the 1930's onwards..

watson

Banned
This thread is a gold mine. Thanks to everyone who've posted these vids.

This comment about Larwoods speed is interesting. I thought he was well into the late 85+mph in terms of speed? I am sure I've seen that discussed before on some threads on this forum. I've actively been trying to ascertain his speed and hence been reading a bunch of old threads here.

70mph is 112kmph..that seems very low?? I thought he was pushing 140kmph?? I know there was that speed test done in the late 70's by UWA which estimated him to bowl around 85+ mph using footage..do any of you guys know if there's been any advancement in trying to figure out the speeds of the bowlers from the 1930's onwards..
The Australian Institute of sport has estimated Larwood's "typical ball speed" at 137 to 147 kph by analysing old black and white film frame by frame relative to the distance of the camera from the wicket. (ie a triangulation study similar to how a satnav calculates the speed of your car). See 33 minute mark.

The whole dicumentary is pretty enjoyable and worth watching btw.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
This highlight package of the 3rd Test, India V West Indies 1975 is just the best. Admittedly there is no sound, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Fredericks and Vishwanath among the runs, Roberts and Chandra at their best, and that's Engineer opening the batting.

Last edited:

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
The Australian Institute of sport has estimated Larwood's "typical ball speed" at 137 to 147 kph by analysing old black and white film frame by frame relative to the distance of the camera from the wicket. (ie a triangulation study similar to how a satnav calculates the speed of your car). See 33 minute mark.

The whole dicumentary is pretty enjoyable and worth watching btw.
Excellent. Well, I know what I will be doing when I get home today.

Just out of curiosity - and I am going through this thread slowly so that I watch everything on it - did anyone post any footage of any pre-Test SL cricket at all?

the big bambino

International Captain
I've read other documentation that had Willis at 90mph and Larwood 96. The process was then compared to bowlers whose speeds were measured against a speed gun.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
More Richards

I must admit I had not seen too much of his batting. But having watched these I now understand why everyone was in awe. What a beautiful technique..Seems to have all the time in the world.

7.36 min mark on that 325 video is amazing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a great story about that 325 in a day he made. Apparently he played and missed early at one from McKenzie and Rod Marsh said loudly to Inverarity at slip "I thought this bloke was supposed to be able to bat".

After he ended the day by hitting that last ball from Lillee back over his head, Inverarity turned to Marsh and said wtte of "Rod, I think he goes all right".