• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man this post makes me remember how gun all of them are. They all have great records away. Legends. So blessed to have them. Test cricket gonna be delicious with them over the next 5 years.
Lol, take a look at Williamson's breakdown against the best sides away and he average is down in the 30s. You need to look at these things in context.

morgieb

He averages 49 even after removing WI (which I don't know why you'd do, but all right)

That's still awesome.
TBF, it's a much bigger fall than the other 3. Williamson's falls to around 45, Root's is similar and Kohli's average is even better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I know. I'd still take what Smith does over that.
Yeah.

People need to realise no one is saying Root not converting means he's performing poorly. He's just not performing as well as the best batsman in the world. Not that big a slight against him surely, its just a differentiator of #1 vs #2 or #3..

TheJediBrah

"Against the best sides"

That also doesn't take into account that Smith and Root haven't had to face Australia or England's bowling attacks like Williamson has. Again, it's one of the reasons Lara was seen as spectacular, as he had to take on all of the worlds best bowling attacks while having a popgun attack in his side.

Root is without doubt the best young player in the world, followed by De Kock, then Smith (based on his insane ability to not get bored and keep grinding out runs) then Williamson.

Root and Williamson both are far more likely to get a start than Smith, but neither have his ability to keep batting when conditions suit and not get himself out.
I love coming on here and discovering all the new inventive reasons you come up with to try and convince yourself that Smith isn't the best in the world, I really do

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, take a look at Williamson's breakdown against the best sides away and he average is down in the 30s. You need to look at these things in context.
Yeah he's minnow bashed Zimbabwe, I'm well aware because it resulted in that infamous Howsie post saying Kohli sucks because he doesn't average 50 when Kane averaged 50 because of the Zimbabwe series :laugh:

But Kane's got a good record overall, I really like having 4 good bats going toe to toe. We're in for a good era.

Spark

Global Moderator
I can sort of buy Smith not being the standout best but Blocky just doesn't think he's a good batsman full stop, which renders all this argument pointless nonsense tbh. There's just no point engaging with such wilful misrepresentation of what people actually think.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Let's see when he's had at least 8-10 tests against some of these nations, rather than 4-5 max against anyone not named England.

If he comes out of the Indian series not looking an absolute fool when his side gets rolled easily, I'll give him some credit, but so far, whenever conditions have been challenging, the best you guys can offer up is "Well he got 44* when Australia got rolled for 85" like that's some sort of amazing achievement.

TheJediBrah

TBF, it's a much bigger fall than the other 3. Williamson's falls to around 45, Root's is similar and Kohli's average is even better.
Which is all completely irrelevant anyway. Remove any player's best opposition and this will happen. If WI at home are so bad that Smith's runs don't count, then why haven't the others dominated them just as much?

Blocky

Banned
I can sort of buy Smith not being the standout best but Blocky just doesn't think he's a good batsman full stop, which renders all this argument pointless nonsense tbh.
I just said Smith was ahead of Williamson, what I dispute is the idea that this guy is an all time great, he's batting in an era where almost every Australian who gets in the side is scoring heavily from square one - look at Renshaw and Handscomb, flawed techniques and they're both able to start amazingly. Look at Voges, look at the resurgence of Khawaja.

indiaholic

International Captain
Would 5 make it valid?
It is not a valid sample size to deduce anything. Kohli had 4 bad innings too and then had one very good one. My point is that you should be agnostic about this. Don't be so convinced either way based on this.

TheJediBrah

I can sort of buy Smith not being the standout best but Blocky just doesn't think he's a good batsman full stop, which renders all this argument pointless nonsense tbh.
At this stage I can't even do this tbh

Maybe a year ago it was too close to call but he is pretty comfortably the best right now

Blocky

Banned
Starc just spanked 84 and made it look easy... Starc for ****s sake. Warner looks in the worst form of his life and knocked 130 out of this attack.

Where was Smith in Sri Lanka? Where was Smith against South Africa? Where will Smith be against India.

He won't be doing what Root has done, that's for sure.

Spark

Global Moderator
At this stage I can't even do this tbh

Maybe a year ago it was too close to call but he is pretty comfortably the best right now
I bag on Root a lot tbh but I'd probably pick him if I had a one-innings-to-bat-for-my-life pick.

It'd be Russian Roulette, mind you.

OverratedSanity

I just said Smith was ahead of Williamson, what I dispute is the idea that this guy is an all time great, he's batting in an era where almost every Australian who gets in the side is scoring heavily from square one - look at Renshaw and Handscomb, flawed techniques and they're both able to start amazingly. Look at Voges, look at the resurgence of Khawaja.
This is not about their home records. Voges has failed in England in SL. Warner was ****e in SL, NZ and England.

Smith has literally not had a bad overseas series since he came good back in 2013/14.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can sort of buy Smith not being the standout best but Blocky just doesn't think he's a good batsman full stop, which renders all this argument pointless nonsense tbh. There's just no point engaging with such wilful misrepresentation of what people actually think.
yeah its very CW now. Stat picking etc. which isn't in itself bad, but its two heads banging against each other.

There is 0% chance of changing Blocky's mind it seems.