Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Best Cricket Movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The Cricket Archives is either excellent or dull depending on your tastes.

I like it.
    Yes, it's excellent and not dull at all to people who get off on history. But you really have to have an appreciation of black and white cricket reels to enjoy it because Jack Egan's commentary is about as dry as a dead dingos donger. He's the dull bit.
    Last edited by watson; 27-08-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    Ike likes this.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Lagaan's the best tbh. Excellent movie allround.

Iqbal is a decent movie too. About a deaf and mute boy who wants to play cricket for India.

Bollywood has a few more cricket-based movies, but they have sadly been mostly garbage. I can list them out later if you really wanna watch them.

GGG
    "The full number of overs that are scheduled to be bowled that day" looks good.

Howe_zat and Ike like this.

Brilliant

I'm a Lagaan fan too. On cricketing front alone, it has everything -

1. A Muralitharan type spin bowler with broken arm,
    2. Run out caused by confusion with a runner,
    3. Match fixing,
    4. Spinner not being able to get enough purchase with the new ball,
    5. All 11 fielders (who are all new to the game) running to save the same shot,
    6. Good batsman struggling at the start of an inning,
    7. Importance of good ground fielding when the opposition has a strong partnership,
    8. Personal rivalries on the cricket field,
    9. Sledging, (and inexperienced hot-tempered batsman giving in to it)
    10. Aggressive short bowling,
    11. Wicket on a no-ball,
    12. Injured player getting retired hurt and coming to bat again on the next day

..and many more

Most importantly, unlike most other movies, cricket scenes here are believable.

Otherwise also, it's a good movie. [Cricket match is only in the second half]
    Last edited by weldone; 27-08-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Recently watched one called Out of the Ashes (I think) about the Afghan cricket team - quite enjoyed that and worth a go IMO.
    hendrix and Ike like this.

One of the best cricketing docos is Out of the Ashes, which is the story of how Afghanistan skyrocketed from an amateur team of former refugees playing in the lowest division possible to an amateur team of former refugees playing in world tournaments.

hendrix and Ike like this.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    One of the best cricketing docos is Out of the Ashes, which is the story of how Afghanistan skyrocketed from an amateur team of former refugees playing in the lowest division possible to an amateur team of former refugees playing in world tournaments.

Great minds and all that...

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    In India, we've had a few:

Lagaan
    Iqbal
    Ferrari ki Sawari
    Stumped!
    Awwal Number
    Meerabai Notout
    Say Salam India
    Hattrick
    Jannat

I think there were few more such titles but I cant remember.
    harsh.ag and Ike like this.
    CricZo XI - 3 Draft Winner

Scorecard Draft (2010) V Sehwag, D Amiss, D Bradman (c), C Cowdrey, P Umrigar, A Faulkner, R Marsh +, M Marshall, W Hall, M Hughes, B O'Reilly
    Alphabetical Draft (2011) S Watson, G Kirsten, D Bradman (c), K Sangakkara +, C Cowdrey, K Pietersen, A Flintoff, M Marshall, B O'Reilly, F Trueman, T Alderman
    The Eras Draft (2014) V Trumper, A Morris, N Harvey, J Kallis, S McCabe, F Woolley, Imran Khan (c), J Dujon +, J Briggs, D Steyn, J Snow

Quote Originally Posted by kingkallis View Post
    In India, we've had a few:

Lagaan
    Iqbal
    Ferrari ki Sawari
    Stumped!
    Awwal Number
    Meerabai Notout
    Say Salam India
    Hattrick
    Jannat

I think there were few more such titles but I cant remember.
    Love the first two! Weirdly, Aamir Khan appears in both Lagaan and Awwal Number . Definitely on a must-watch list for cricket fans who don't mind melodrama. Actually Iqbal doesn't have any melodrama at all. It's just a good boyhood-dream-come-true-with-hard-work story.
    Ike and kingkallis like this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I saw some Australian comedy on a plane once about a local club team who bag a tour to India under some confusion as to how good they are. I forget the name of the film, sadly, but that had a reasonable amount of cricket in it (and a small amount of comedy).
    Ike likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Ike
    Just came across this article on cricinfo:

Rob Steen on the slim canon of cricket movies | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

A discussion of cricket movies (and the lack thereof), and compared (briefly) to American baseball movies. It discusses or mentions most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread (but not all, especially some of the Indian ones). I'd appreciate folks' take on this article.

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    Honourable mention goes to Kai Po Che IMO. It's not full fledged cricket movie, but it has enough cricket content that is actually well presented to make it worth watching for a cricket fan. Otherwise Lagaan and Iqbal are the only two cricket containing movies I would recommend any non Indian cricket fan to watch.

Oh and there is this neat movie called 99, which is a light hearted take on the India-SA match fixing saga in the 90's and 2000. It's worth a watch, despite not much actual cricket content in it. It's also just under 2 and a half hours, if you skip the songs its about 2 hours or so tops.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I saw some Australian comedy on a plane once about a local club team who bag a tour to India under some confusion as to how good they are. I forget the name of the film, sadly, but that had a reasonable amount of cricket in it (and a small amount of comedy).
    We've had Save Your Legs and Backyard Ashes recently. Both pretty appalling, from the little I know of them.

And I swear if there's an Australian movie at all related to sport, Stephen Curry ends up playing the main character.
    Ike likes this.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

A movie called Million Dollar Arm is about how a baseball scout goes to India after he watches a game of cricket on the telly.

Jon Hamm (of Mad Men fame) the male lead, and the two guys he scouts from India are the boy from A Life of Pi and the second lead from Slumdog Millionaire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information