Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 120
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is the criticism of the Indian batting line up justified?

  1. #46
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,013
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    I actually can't remember a visiting team to England batting worse. Maybe Bangladesh once.
    Probably the 2002 NSW Combined High Schools Squad
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  2. #47
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    On purely batting, this series is the worst I've seen from India. Worst overall still Australia 2011/12, though
    And just think of what's coming up.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  3. #48
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    1,028
    Not to sound overly schmaltzy here but the fact that they put in this performance over an independence day weekend against their former colonial rulers says all that needs to be said. I'm not saying they played badly on purpose but there has been more than a fair dollop of spinelessness over the last three games, and never so pronounced as today.

  4. #49
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,844
    The batting over the last 3 tests has been on minnow level. Would expect slightly more from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.


  5. #50
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    That's why 2 and 3 Test series are thhe pits. 4 and particularly 5 Test series are exponentially more challenging for players.
    Controversial opinion; I think the series are poorer for it. No one cares once one side has gone to the pits.
    hendrix and BeeGee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  6. #51
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,657
    Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    I actually can't remember a visiting team to England batting worse. Maybe Bangladesh once.
    Australia 1985. Border apart, they barely knew which end of the cue to hold

  7. #52
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    India's batsman did well in SA and NZ in two tests
    Hmm not so sure myself. They did ok. In SA it went 280 then 421 in the draw, 334 then 223 with Rahane scoring half of the second innings runs in the loss. Then in NZ Rohit Sharma bailed them out to post 202 in reply to 503 before they fell 40 runs short in the chase with a good try of 366. I the second test Dhawan, Rahane in at 7 and Dhoni bailed them out to post a good total of 438 before Kohli scored his game is already dead century to have them 166/3 at the end.

    It was very up and down and a lot of times when there was scoreboard pressure or something vaguely important happening the top four folded in a heap and it was left to poor old Rahane and the lower order to bail them out. Dhawan and the two glory boys had their moments but the batsman who emerges with the most credit from the past few months (England included) is Rahane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  8. #53
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Australia 1985. Border apart, they barely knew which end of the cue to hold
    Flipper will firebomb your house.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  9. #54
    International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    4,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Hmm not so sure myself. They did ok. In SA it went 280 then 421 in the draw, 334 then 223 with Rahane scoring half of the second innings runs in the loss. Then in NZ Rohit Sharma bailed them out to post 202 in reply to 503 before they fell 40 runs short in the chase with a good try of 366. I the second test Dhawan, Rahane in at 7 and Dhoni bailed them out to post a good total of 438 before Kohli scored his game is already dead century to have them 166/3 at the end.

    It was very up and down and a lot of times when there was scoreboard pressure or something vaguely important happening the top four folded in a heap and it was left to poor old Rahane and the lower order to bail them out. Dhawan and the two glory boys had their moments but the batsman who emerges with the most credit from the past few months (England included) is Rahane.
    Really weird analysis. Each of the top 5 has bailed us out at some stage in those two series, just as you said. That's really what a good lineup does. Someone always delivers. They've been awful this series, let's not make it seem they weren't really that good in NZ and sa. They were extremely good. We'd have drawn both series if we'd had half decent bowlers.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 17-08-2014 at 10:43 PM.

  10. #55
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    To the OP.

    YES
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  11. #56
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,178
    Yeah too early to criticise Indian batsmen. Wait till next IPL. I am sure they will regain form.
    zorax and LegionOfBrad like this.

  12. #57
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Gnske's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Yeah too early to criticise Indian batsmen. Wait till next IPL. I am sure they will regain form.
    What a juicy paycheck can do for your form.

  13. #58
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,553
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Really weird analysis. Each of the top 5 has bailed us out at some stage in those two series, just as you said. That's really what a good lineup does. Someone always delivers. They've been awful this series, let's not make it seem they weren't really that good in NZ and sa. They were extremely good. We'd have drawn both series if we'd had half decent bowlers.
    The same bowlers who were big contributors to almost drawing both series? Ok.

    Current India crumble as soon as you show any resistance, with the bat or with the ball. McCullum and Watling batted for a day and then had India by the balls mentally. You see the same with the current West Indian side, which is a talented line up that loses faith if you can win a session.

  14. #59
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    People are forgetting how badly India bowled and fielded through the majority of that 2011 series. They only actually dismissed us once, in the first innings of the second test. The rest of the time was waiting around for batsmen to get double tons and declare. Half the England batting lineup was just queing up to score as much as they felt like while RP got flown in for no reason, Sreesanth leaped over balls in the field that went for 4, Sehwag went for a sit down or two in the pavillion and Ravi Bopara got a fifty.

    And there were days like today like the 4th day at TB where Broad was smashing sixes off Yuvraj and Raina before the Indians got all out for 120. Dravid was the only batsman to put up aything like resistance, there was plenty of talk of inevitable capitulation then, usually centred around Gambhir and Raina (Sehwag getting king pairs was considered at least eventful).

    Oh and as mentioned - they did not ****ing win a game.
    Maybe because we're comparing the batting

  15. #60
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Controversial opinion; I think the series are poorer for it. No one cares once one side has gone to the pits.
    Only if one side is completely outgunned. A 5 tester between India and England shouldn't be that. India have been fairly disgraceful, loose impatient shots, no application shown at all. Many of them need some serious attention to their techniques, otherwise they're never going to live up to the reputation of the batsmen they've succeeded.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is criticism of Brendon McCullum justified?
    By jonbrooks in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 17-02-2014, 04:07 PM
  2. is this the best batting line-up you have ever seen?
    By bagapath in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
  3. batting line ups
    By aus23 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
  4. Sl batting line up
    By Faceless void in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-08-2008, 05:36 AM
  5. The famed Indian batting line up !!
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •