• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankading - Why is it not within the "Spirit of the Game"?

Blocky

Banned
I like penalty runs for leaving the crease early. Out is maybe a bit too harsh and no run off that ball seems too lenient.
If the bowler breaks the crease, he has a penalty of runs AND ensuring that any dismissal claimed on the ball doesn't count. Why are we so lenient to the batsmen?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
If the bowler breaks the crease, he has a penalty of runs AND ensuring that any dismissal claimed on the ball doesn't count. Why are we so lenient to the batsmen?
I feel that way for the same reason we have the benefit of the doubt going to the batsman.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Basically, there's 2 camps here, one that says it's fine, and the other that mistakenly believes it isn't. :P

But seriously, I don't think there's any conclusion to this debate that both sides will be happy with, only a compromise that neither will really like. I'm meh about penalty runs and think it's fair enough, for me, it's fine as it is. 1 warning (maybe 2 if you're feeling like a giving soul that day) and bang! On yer bike.

If you took it to the extreme situation where it's a WC Semi final or final and the non-striker was 3m down the track, I wouldn't even warn them. Send them off with utter unapologetic disdain.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Backing up properly (as far as I'm concerned) builds momentum so you are ready to run - it shouldn't be used simply to try and minimise the amount of distance to the other end, if that's how you back up then you always run the risk of something like this happening. My conclusion - mankading and run-out via follow-through deflection: batsman's fault
agreed.