• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amla named SA Test captain

Riggins

International Captain
Can only assume this appointment will increase the already roaring trade at the pub named after him here.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Interesting, because you'd imagine that ABDevil would be the natural alpha male in the group, and probably the one guy in world cricket who could combine keeping, batting, captaining and everything else all at once. Imagine Amla would be more in the Steve Waugh leadership mould….

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm really surprised by this in general. They'd been grooming AB for the role for a little while already; I suppose it's a matter of workload more than anything else, but I'm still shocked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too quiet, too self-contained, doesn't strike one as a natural leader of men.

I could be wrong, of course, but the best player doesn't necessarily make the best leader.
Brumby letting his hatred of Amla's beard affect his views here.

Riggins

International Captain
Hope they did it because they think he's the best captain, not just trying to limit the workload of AB. I know it gives them the chance to play another all-rounder which they love, but AB's just not that good a keeper.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think it's a good call, and in a team of strong personalities I think its a good thing to have such a calm influence, not a bad thing.. I mean with Steyn and Faf pacing around it's not like they are going to need psyching up and a kick up the backside, is it?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats to him. Probably the better choice as it allows A.B to keep the gloves a little longer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it's a good call, and in a team of strong personalities I think its a good thing to have such a calm influence, not a bad thing.. I mean with Steyn and Faf pacing around it's not like they are going to need psyching up and a kick up the backside, is it?
Agreed. Plus, you can be mellow and chilled and still be a good captain I reckon. Not every quiet bloke will turn out to be an uninspiring leader like Cook or Shiv are/were.

smash84

The Tiger King
Interesting decision. I don't think Amla will make a good captain. Always seemed somewhat lethargic in the field which to me indicated a lack of initiative and energy. That can't be a good thing for a good captain assuming of course that his habits don't change soon into his captaincy.