Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: cricrate: new cricket ratings website

Cricketer Of The Year
    The only possible excuse for this is if it's a Precam multi.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viriya View Post
    most likely it was imran khan - he had a period (something like 10-15 tests) where he averaged 50+ with the bat and <25 with the ball.
    I think this is a more indicative sign of the greatest ARs than individual tests.

Focussing on individual tests is not really a reasonable way to rate an all rounder, because over the course of a series/year an AR can be very influential without ever putting it together in one test.

Over a series we might expect a good batsman (not nec an AR) to fail 1 or 2 times, and it's a bit haphazard as to whether the AR does that in the same test that he dominates with the ball (and depending on the nature of the pitch etc, it may well be likelier).

Just my opinion though…do appreciate the work you've put in...
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I think this is a more indicative sign of the greatest ARs than individual tests.

Focussing on individual tests is not really a reasonable way to rate an all rounder, because over the course of a series/year an AR can be very influential without ever putting it together in one test.

Over a series we might expect a good batsman (not nec an AR) to fail 1 or 2 times, and it's a bit haphazard as to whether the AR does that in the same test that he dominates with the ball (and depending on the nature of the pitch etc, it may well be likelier).

Just my opinion though…do appreciate the work you've put in...
    Good point, it will definitely help Imran's case. He is still just 10% off the top 5 all-rounders though, and a slight bonus based on battingAvg/bowlingAvg (which I'm implementing as we speak), would prob make things more sane. Also, you would expect that issue to affect every all-rounder similarly - just that in Imran's case it was more pronounced.

Good point, it will definitely help Imran's case. He is still just 10% off the top 5 all-rounders though, and a slight bonus based on battingAvg/bowlingAvg (which I'm implementing as we speak), would prob make things more sane. Also, you would expect that issue to affect every all-rounder similarly - just that in Imran's case it was more pronounced.
    How about some form of closeness factor instead of an overall / per-match split?

Something like

sum(Batting val *sum( bowling value/distance factor)).

where the distance factor is some combination of time and matches played?

I added a factor based on the battingAvg/bowlingAvg for all-round careers (~5-10% added points) and reduced the penalty for batting careers of <40 test matches. Changes from before:

Test Batting Career Rankings
    George Headley #70 to #55
    Graeme Pollock #84 to #70

Test All-Round Career Rankings
    Imran Khan #10 to #7
    Keith Miller #17 to #14
    Trevor Bailey #70 to #64

Thanks for the feedback.

I added a factor based on the battingAvg/bowlingAvg for all-round careers (~5-10% added points) and reduced the penalty for batting careers of <40 test matches. Changes from before:

Test Batting Career Rankings
    George Headley #70 to #55
    Graeme Pollock #84 to #70

Test All-Round Career Rankings
    Imran Khan #10 to #7
    Keith Miller #17 to #14
    Trevor Bailey #70 to #64

Thanks for the feedback.
    Stick around cricket-web, you might enjoy some of the conversations!

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Stick around cricket-web, you might enjoy some of the conversations!
    Will do.. I'm trying to figure out why cricket forums are so fragmented.. I guess it's too partisan for a global forum to work.

^your posts in this thread are utter garbage. Completely rude and unnecessary.
    Maximas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    ^your posts in this thread are utter garbage. Completely rude and unnecessary.

was talking to Lillian Thompson but his posts have been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    was talking to Lillian Thompson but his posts have been deleted.
    Ah yeh, thought you were talking to me or viriya. Lillian Thompson does seem to have an aggro issue in this thread for no apparent reason.

cricrate

It's been 3 months since I first introduced the site.. Thought of giving an update on some changes since:

• Live match odds (shows up as a table at the top of the home page if a live game is ongoing): Calculates live match odds based on similar historical match results. Uses the live scores RSS feed from cricinfo - any relevant live game (Test, ODI, T20I, FT20, First-class, List A) should automatically display odds. Methodology here.
    • Franchise T20 ratings: Separate format for the more competitive franchise t20 leagues (currently IPL, BBL and CPL). Similar to T20I in function, the idea is that a player's current rating after the IPL is transferred over when he plays in the CPL next, and so on.
    • Better charting: Uses google charting for cleaner and more visually appealing charts, hover over the bars for additional info of each innings.
    • Responsive styling to handle different devices: should render better in mobile and other screens now, a complete graphical overhaul is in the pipeline next which should resolve any remaining issues.
    • Other minor adjustments (rating system is tweaked constantly aside from these changes):
      • Tests: Strike rate as minor factor, display strike rate where available
      • ODIs/T20s: Limit strike rate factor for short innings (6 and out - strike rate of 300 skews too much)
      • T20s: Lower wicket/run factor, remove wicket/ball factor, increase weight for economy rate (wicketless economical spells were undervalued)
      • Scorecards show target runs where applicable

Any feedback appreciated. If you think a certain rating is nonsensical, feel free to point it out as long as you think it's actual worth can be captured better using available data.
    Last edited by viriya; 25-07-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

International 12th Man BackFootPunch's Avatar
    How is it possible that Hamilton Masakadza is rated the 23rd best Test batsman, given that he averages less than 24 against top 8 teams? If I remember correctly he scored a ton against the Windies at one point but all his other significant scores have come against Bangladesh. He' rated ahead of, among others, du Plessis, Pujara, Cook and Mominul Haque. That's mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by BackFootPunch View Post
    How is it possible that Hamilton Masakadza is rated the 23rd best Test batsman, given that he averages less than 24 against top 8 teams? If I remember correctly he scored a ton against the Windies at one point but all his other significant scores have come against Bangladesh. He' rated ahead of, among others, du Plessis, Pujara, Cook and Mominul Haque. That's mind boggling.
    This is a current form index for established players.. Hamilton is in the form of his life.. he averaged 52+ with the bat 2014, even if it was vs Bangladesh, he was clearly Zim's best batsman. Pujara and Cook both had horrendous 2014s, and Faf is still establishing himself in Tests (the first 20 tests of a player are discounted in rating weight to ensure that a newbie with one good year doesn't shoot up to #1 in the list).

As you can see with Kohli's case, players can shoot up and down the ratings within a series - he had a horrendous England tour but has shot up 20 spots after 3 tests in Aus.. Hamilton's position can drop quickly if he doesn't continue with his good form.

International 12th Man BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Yeah but even if he's in the form of his life he's still a much, much worse batsman than someone like Faf, who's hardly a newbie anymore. I'd imagine Faf's played more games than Masakadza recently so surely his ability can be more consistently gauged?

I just don't see the point in showing the current form of someone if they're quite obviously not that good and their current form isn't that amazing. Averaging 52 against Bangladesh is hardly something to write home about.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information