• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Off Season 2014

Blocky

Banned
Verma should move too since ND don't seem to rate him very highly.
They over-rate him in my view, considering how little time he spends on the park, how many injuries he's had and the fact that his below average statistics would be even worse if not for one performance. The guy was a great prospect in his youth as an all rounder and rapid bowler, but I don't think he's managed more than three consecutive club games as a bowler for the Old Boys, let alone first class.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So it's true then, Seifert went to Otago to sit behind de Boorder like the rumour above?

Bizarre choice. ND, Canterbury and Auckland are where the keeper gaps are.

Joe Carter should move. Everyone knows the fastest way into the test team is as an opener, he was a youth opener and now he'll continue batting at three below Flynn and Brownlie. He's a young guy with a good start to his FC career: he should definitely consider looking elsewhere imo. CD, Wellington and Canterbury don't have stable and/or established partnerships.
By all reports Brad Cachopa is going back to Auckland, so no gap there. If Seifert is going to Otago, that strikes me as really bizarre. Derek is the captain down there and isn't likely to play for NZ. I'd take my chances with knocking off Cam Fletcher and certainly Rory if Cam isn't there.

Robbie O'Donnell will definitely get an Aces contract, and Ronnie back to Auckland would be an interesting one. Spose he's not well liked anywhere in particular.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Bye to Wizards, say hello to Canterbury Kings | Stuff.co.nz

Canterbury Cricket has ditched the "Wizards" name and their Twenty20 side will no longer play in red and black.

The Kings are the new team in town and will play in this summer's domestic T20 competition wearing purple and gold.

Canterbury will drop a nickname all together for their one and four-day campaigns and will still play in traditional red and black in the one-day competition.

Players and staff were told of the changes yesterday and Canterbury Cricket boss Lee Germon said it was met with "approval and excitement".

The move, which is as bold as the new colours, is based around gaining traction for the association's Twenty20 side, attracting new fans to the game and trying to rescue the declining interest in the sport, Germon said.

"The key for us is we need to face some brutal facts.

"In traditional cricket, we have declining junior numbers and there's declining interest in the sport in youth and among families. The sport, in our opinion, is in real danger of losing its relevance."

A separation from tradition has worked in both India and Australia in the Indian Premier League and Big Bash League respectively and Germon said it was strange New Zealand had been so slow to follow suit.

"We want to see T20 as a different product. We don't want it to just be about the cricket, we want it to be about the whole entertainment package.

"One-day and four-day cricket will still be about the more traditional cricket values, but this is a chance for us to attract a different audience and promote what really is a different product."

The one and four-day games will still be considered development pathways, but the T20 competition will be more about entertainment and it has far greater potential commercial possibilities.

With private investment around T20 teams on the horizon, this move will also help separate the teams.

The Wizards name is only 13 years old and with little meaning to the region - except for The Wizard of Christchurch who incidentally opposed Canterbury Cricket developing Hagley Oval - but the choice to drop the red and black colours could be considered risky.

Germon hopes it won't, but explained the decision and said it was not one reached lightly.

"Red and black is really important to us and it is to me, I played in red and black, but T20 needs to be viewed as having no tradition. It doesn't have any and this will help us change the image."

Germon said in a city where all teams wore red and black and a number of business used the colours too, it was hoped the change would make them stand out.

The Kings name, he added, had far greater marketing possibilities too with connotations of dominance and royalty.

"Courage is one of our core values and this is courageous, but it's not a decision made lightly and we think it's a good one. New home, new team, new colours; the timing's right.

"We have limited means of generating revenue so want to do everything in our means to help our cause while also providing a top-class entertainment package for the people of Canterbury."

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Marketers are the new lawyers. Absolutely full of their own importance and ideas, and I'd happily run them over with my truck.

Howsie

International Captain
Bad idea for a Canterbury team to drop the red and black. Will not appeal to the monocular masses down those parts.
Haha. If they really wanted to bring in a new audience perhaps they would've just been better of renaming the team 'The we love Richie McCaw team" and made all the players wear the number seven. Maybe even wheel him out for a game every once and awhile.

This all looks rather stupid, I mean purple and gold? Also am I the only one who thinks it's rather sad that Tom Latham is Canterbury cricket's most marketable player? That might just be where the problem is itself.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha. If they really wanted to bring in a new audience perhaps they would've just been better of renaming the team 'The we love Richie McCaw team" and made all the players wear the number seven. Maybe even wheel him out for a game every once and awhile.

This all looks rather stupid, I mean purple and gold? Also am I the only one who thinks it's rather sad that Tom Latham is Canterbury cricket's most marketable player? That might just be where the problem is itself.
Get Kieran Read to play for the Canterbury Macaws. WINWINWIN.

That'd be my solution.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No disrespect to the rest of the players, but he's batting at 4, fielding at first slip, and has been a key feature of the bowling attack. To put it in context, Hamish Marshall is his opposite number.

He may or may not bash a few more centuries, he's still wasted at domestic level.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
.. and has completely outbatted him! :p
It's Ryder's first proper season in county, even Hussey had an average start to his county career which ended up in him averaging near Bradman proportions.

Posted this video in the Windies vs NZ thread, Ryder's looking like he's getting back to around 125-130kmh and he's always had the ability to nibble off the seam. The reality is he's still the most talented guy in NZ Cricket, just a shame he's also one of the worst in terms of mental application.