Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestion for the voting thread - 'The Best from each Decade Birthday DRAFT'.

Suggestion for the voting thread - 'The Best from each Decade Birthday DRAFT'.

Saint Kopite messaged me wondering whether we have a Group stage when voting. After a little bit if thought I think that the following may work;

1. The 14 teams are divided into 2 groups of 7 using the Randomiser, and the 2 Voting threads are put-up.

2. People then vote for the 2 strongest teams in each group. Voting lasts 72 hours (3 days). If there is a tie for 2nd place then there will be another 24 hours of voting to break the deadlock. If there is a tie for first place then the team that happens to be higher on the list is the 'winner'.

3. The 1st placed team in Group 1 plays against the 2nd placed team in Group 2 in the first Semi Final. The 1st placed team in Group 2 plays against the 2nd placed team in Group 1 in the 2nd Semi Final. Voting lasts 72 hours. If there is a tie between the Semi Finalists then there will be another 24 hours of voting to break the deadlock.

4. The winners of the Semi Finals play in the Grand Final. Voting lasts 72 hours. If there is a tie between the Finalists then there will be another 24 hours of voting to break the deadlock.

Please note that voting will therefore last for 9 to 12 days depending on how many ties there are. Also, it may get confusing because there will need to be 5 separate voting threads - 2 x Group Stage, Semi Finals, and a Final.

Problems may arise if there is a tie or potential tie. Therefore, voting will last for exactly 72 hours, and exactly 24 hours after that if extra time is required to break a deadlock.

I'm happy to organise a traditional Voting Thread where everyone votes for the 3 strongest teams on show, and then the winner is declared after about a week. But since Saint Kopite suggested a Group Stage etc then I thought I'd put the offer out there.

What do think? Voting with a Group Stage, Semi Finals, and a Final? Or our traditional voting method?

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    sounds good.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Good idea - variety is the spice of life and all that

OK cool. But realise that there will be a deal of 'tediousity'. So feel free to offer suggestions that might make the thing run more smoothly.

Do simple voting among all 14 teams IMO.

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    I like the idea.
    I'll never fear you, buddy.

OK, so that's - 3 FORS and 1 AGAINSTS so far. And I'm happy either way.

FOR. More time consuming, but will yield a more thorough result than a straight 3 pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

I like the idea of head to head battles. In a knock out comp type thing. But it's a lot of work, and the non-draft/ATG people might find it annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    But it's a lot of work, and the non-draft/ATG people might find it annoying!
    Not if you just kept it to one thread. It's very possible to have several match-ups across one thread as the BOTM thread and indeed all the battle threads really have shown us.
    Red Hill likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Not if you just kept it to one thread. It's very possible to have several match-ups across one thread as the BOTM thread and indeed all the battle threads really have shown us.
    OK good. But will need to be pointed in the right direction re 5 polls in 1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    OK good. But will need to be pointed in the right direction re 5 polls in 1 thread
    You do it without polls. Post up the first battle in the thread, get people to post their selections in bold and then count up the votes. Then you post the next battle, get people to post again - etc etc.

I definitely think it'd get a bit annoying if Cricket Chat contained 12 individual one-on-one poll threads for a draft.

Yep. And also it creates a bit of discussion (which will inevitably turn in to something about WG not being able to cope with the WIs pace quartet, or Imran never being able to get his batting and bowling together at once, or Warne's record on the subcontinent, or whether these matches are played on covered pitches or stickies)…

All healthy fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You do it without polls. Post up the first battle in the thread, get people to post their selections in bold and then count up the votes. Then you post the next battle, get people to post again - etc etc.

I definitely think it'd get a bit annoying if Cricket Chat contained 12 individual one-on-one poll threads for a draft.
    No, there would be only 3 one-on-one poll threads as most of the teams would be voted out during the Group Stage. See rules above.

i think you should create 24 threads. one to vote in and one to explain your reasons to vote a particular way
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information