• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting SR in test cricket

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
One swallow doesn't make a summer. I'm not sure exactly why your using the examples of Eng and SA to bolster your point, his overall record in those countries is abysmal. As it is in NZ (another place where the ball often does something). His record in Australia on pitches where the ball actually does something (i.e. Brisbane and Perth) is poor too. The only away location outside the subcontinent he has a good record in is the WI, and the wickets there are more or less similar. Think it's a massive cop-out to say he has a poor away record just because he happened to have been in bad form then. He has a bad away record, especially in places where the ball does something for the pacers, because his technique is fundamentally ill equipped to deal with it. My opinion on Sehwag has actually been formed solely on having watched him play...it's a rare situation where the stats almost directly coincide with observation.
One swallow does make a summer if you are in the arctic. Sehwag hasnt played much in these nations. IIRC, he's had 3 series in England, two decent, one abysmal. Yes, he did fail in South Africa and New Zealand but as i said, New Zealand cannot be counted against him, considering that a third of his matches were played in a series where a 50 was equivalent of a century, so abysmal were the pitches.

As for Aussie pitches, the ball does swing more at Sydney and MCG than it does at Perth.

Its not a copout to say his away record coincides with his poor form because Sehwag in poor form has been poor in India as well, if a batsman has 2 poor patches and ends up playing more matches overseas in those poor patches than rest of his career, he will have a poor overseas record. Doesnt mean he is a crap batsman. A poor overseas player is one who dominates home conditions but very next series craps the bed overseas. That hasnt been Sehwag's trajectory, he's either dominating in a stretch or struggling over a stretch.

Sehwag does not have the classical textbook technique but he does have proper technique. The things that matter technically, Sehwag has demonstrated in his batting: a still head, balanced when connecting with the ball, soft hands.
Those are the technical goals that one strives for, the footwork, straight bat, playing in the V are methods to get to those technical fundamentals. Turned out Sehwag had such a great eye that he was able to skip ahead and get to those technical perfections without the classical aid to it.

Sehwag has limited experience overseas. He's done well in Australia & West Indies, he did competently in England except for one series.
he had a good debut series in South Africa.

As i said, Sehwag's overseas record is better than it looks because in the context of it, Sehwag's rough patches have coincided with chunks of away tests played by India.

Against an ATG attack on seaming conditions, i honestly expect a Sehwag at his pomp to put up figures like 5,10, 15, 20, 200, etc. I dont expect him to be consistent but i do think he can annihilate any attack at his pomp, more so at home but also at overseas, as his centuries indicate.

It must also be noted that Indian pitches generally tend to be more receptive to swing on the first day and half than most Aussie pitches (minus Brisbane) tend to be. Indian pitches have been short on bounce but not on lateral movement.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
and New Zealand but as i said, New Zealand cannot be counted against him, considering that a third of his matches were played in a series where a 50 was equivalent of a century, so abysmal were the pitches.
:lol: You do realise that those pitches made many that Hobbs and Hutton scored hundreds upon look flat. Even if i admit pace bowlers were military mediums back then, which i don't, green tops were designed for such bowlers.

Riggins

International Captain
:lol: You do realise that those pitches made many that Hobbs and Hutton scored hundreds upon look flat. Even if i admit pace bowlers were military mediums back then, which i don't, green tops were designed for such bowlers.
Wondered for a while, what's your av?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Off topic, but Sehwag's career died when he got shoulder surgery after the IPL which delayed his start to the England tour in 2011. He was then even more hackish than usual, and was just never the same again.
Interesting I was confused as to why he turned to custard.

Flem274*

123/5
those pitches being terrible is a myth anyway. yes they were green early doors but i can show you footage of bond taking wickets when they were a nice yellow colour. extra credit goes to the blokes who got out wafting.

check out 3:45 (then the inswinging yorker straight after :wub:) and then right at the end. both sehwag out to bond on a pitch which isn't really a green top anymore. one lbw and one caught at cover.

god there are some classic ganguly dismissals in that video too.

the batting in that series from both sides suffered in the first two innings but after that it was simply a case of richardson, dravid and tendulkar being better equipped to bat against the swinging ball. nz were just as culpable.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Perth doesn't swing. Well, there you go.

Anyone characterising any Australian venue as a swinging or non-swinging venue may as well hang them up.

And there's no way that there is more bounce at Dharmashala and Mohali than Adelaide.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No argument can be made for Sehwag's weakness against movement of any kind. But thats just one part of bowling. He was good against other stuff and merits selection if there is no movement in a match is what I am saying. He even admitted he wasn't very good against movement in an interview ffs.

'I've never been in the zone' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

When does the bowler get the upper hand against you?
I can handle swing movement, but when there is seam movement I cannot handle it properly. In New Zealand in 2002 the wickets were really not good for batting and I struggled and scored something like 40 runs in four innings. Nobody did well except for Tendulkar and Dravid. So later I started to spend a lot of time at the wicket. I would cut if it was outside off and flick if it was on my legs. I found out that works on a bad wicket: to stay at the wicket.
And unrelated:
Did Greg Chappell give you any sort of valuable tips?
No.
:lol:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was batting on 291 at Chepauk, against South Africa. I told Paul Harris, "Come round the wicket and first ball I'll hit you for a six." He accepted my challenge and the very first ball I hit him for a straight six, and there was a long-off, long-on, deep midwicket and a deep point. I was so tired and he was bowling on the pads and I was getting bored. So rather than spending 10-15 minutes to get to the triple-century I gave him good advice.

Shri

Mr. Glass
As a person sehwag is a legend.
Indeed. Any excuse to post my favorite Sehwag story:

"Jeremy Snape told me a great story about him while we were working together in the Indian Premier League. Sehwag and Snape were batting for Leicestershire against Middlesex when Abdul Razzaq started reverse-swinging the ball in the way that the Pakistan bowlers do. Sehwag came up to Snape and said: 'We must lose this ball. I have a plan.' Next over, he whacked that ball clean out of the ground, forcing the umpires to pick another from the box that would obviously not reverse straight away. To which Sehwag said: 'We are all right for one hour.' Smart, I say."
Shane Warne, in his list of his top 100 cricketers
India Cricket Features: Virender Sehwag's 100th Test: 'Is he bowling or begging?' | ESPN Cricinfo

Some more gems like that in that link

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's definitely one of my favorites, along with him calling Bangladesh an ordinary side in a ridiculously blunt tone

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's definitely one of my favorites, along with him calling Bangladesh an ordinary side in a ridiculously blunt tone
I remember on that same tour Viru declared just before Bangladesh could take 20 Indian wkts because he had earlier said that Bangladesh are not good enough to take 20 wkts lmao. Gotta love Viru.

Flem274*

123/5
No argument can be made for Sehwag's weakness against movement of any kind. But thats just one part of bowling. He was good against other stuff and merits selection if there is no movement in a match is what I am saying. He even admitted he wasn't very good against movement in an interview ffs.

'I've never been in the zone' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

And unrelated:

Not sure if this is in reply to me or not but I was calling Mulog out on his characterisation of those pitches and his attempt to sweep stuff under the rug.

Love those quotes btw.:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember on that same tour Viru declared just before Bangladesh could take 20 Indian wkts because he had earlier said that Bangladesh are not good enough to take 20 wkts lmao. Gotta love Viru.
Wasn't that was the match the Banglas bowled India out cheaply, and then when asked about it Viru said "well they didn't take 20 wickets"?

:laugh:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't that was the match the Banglas bowled India out cheaply, and then when asked about it Viru said "well they didn't take 20 wickets"?

:laugh:
yep that's the one

'They still didn't get 20 wickets' - Sehwag on Bangladesh | Cricket News | Bangladesh v India 2009/10 | ESPN Cricinfo

He batted well," was his response when asked about Mushfiqur Rahim's innings today. Just before he came to the press conference, Sehwag was booed as he walked up to talk to Ravi Shastri in the post-match ceremony. "You are very popular here, aren't you," Shastri asked.

"Yes, Indian cricketers are popular here in Bangladesh," replied Sehwag.
lolol

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
What was that match where he made 200-odd and then basically fell asleep at the crease? Was glorious.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
What was that match where he made 200-odd and then basically fell asleep at the crease? Was glorious.
If by "fell asleep" you mean basically got tired and couldn't be bothered to bat anymore then yeah it was this match

Vettori to Sehwag, OUT, lazy, tired, bored! Does nothing to this. Just stands there and brings the bat down in slow motion. The ball, as has been the case with Vettori today, doesn't turn, goes with the arm, hits his bad down the leg side and then ricochets onto the middle stump. Smiling and chatting with Gambhir as he walks off
V Sehwag b Vettori 173 (288m 199b 24x4 1x6) SR: 86.93
1st Test: India v New Zealand at Ahmedabad, Nov 4-8, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo