Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Death on the Road

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc

Death on the Road

Death on the Road

Some places are much less dangerous than they used to be. For county cricketers the highways and byways of England are an example

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    A very different piece from your usual fare Fred
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Yes Graham Kersey and Ben Hollioake both in Australia of course.

I did post a comment, which 24 hours later nobody has put up, asking if you knew when drink-driving laws came in - I would guess sometime in the 1920s.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Yes Graham Kersey and Ben Hollioake both in Australia of course.

I did post a comment, which 24 hours later nobody has put up, asking if you knew when drink-driving laws came in - I would guess sometime in the 1920s.
    The first offence of drink driving of the sort we have now (ie there was a mandatory disqualification if convicted) was introduced in 1925, although there was an offence of being drunk in charge of a carriage etc that dated back to the 1870s - the blood/alcohol limit came in in 1967 - before that the police did all those tests about walking along a straight line and picking up a coin at the end and the like, and that meaningless soundbite that they trot out to this day first found its way into common usage "his speech was slurred and his eyes were glazed". In those days you could elect trial by jury for drink driving (you can't now) and all the young barristers used to cut their teeth on drink/drive cases - rural juries tended to be rather more forgiving than urban ones

Thread Information