• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Australian ODI team

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lee shouldn't be in this XI, should he? Fmd he was a terrible death bowler for much of his career. He'd either click and roll a side or he'd get tattooed. Was never confident he would consistently deliver

Burgey

I understand that pov, I'm trying to work out why I had the impression of him which I did. His numbers are terrific.

benchmark00

I think Lee was hittable with the older ball because of his low trajectory so it skidded onto the bat, but with the new ball he was elite. Used to take wickets first up which would cripple the batting innings and set them back 15-20 overs right from the start.

Burgey

Yeah he swung the white ball deluxe.

Makes the 07 WC win extra decent seeing he was out of action

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Votes so far...

Gilchrist- 13
M.Waugh- 8
Watson- 5
Hayden- 2
O'Donnell- 1
Healy- 1

adub

International Captain
I'd be controversial and play Gilly down the order

Junior
Haydos
Punter
Deano
Huss
Bevo
Gilly
Warney
Binga
DK
McGrath

Yes the 5th bowling option is short but I'd have confidence Junior, Bevo, Huss and even Punt and Deano could squirt out the required overs between them. Bevo could be really hard to pick and his econ rate of 5.05 isn't too bad. Junior's econ rate of 4.78 is also pretty useful. Obviously the opponents are going to target these 10 overs pretty hard, but with deep fields (and an incredible fielding side) you should manage to keep it pretty quiet. And if not then that batting line up is going to chase down pretty much anything thrown at em. The other 40 overs are going to cause massive problems for the batting team.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. Gilchrist
2. M. Waugh
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Symonds
6. Bevan
7. Watson
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. Bracken
11. McGrath

12th man: Ian 'Harvs' Harvey.

I know the forum has herd immunity by now against any affection for Roy, but he managed to do his best finishing at 5 and severely underrated with the ball. I like this XI mostly on that it has seven bowling options and and a corking field (which is what made me stump for Junior over Deano), with no real liabilities except Bevan (couldn't throw in his dotage) and McGrath (was McGrath).

Bracken over Fot is a huge call, but I honestly believe Bracken's era was exponentially harder for bowlers (especially death bowling) and he still comes away with a Wasimesque average and SR. Was the best conventional swinger of a white ball going round for a good while.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Lee shouldn't be in this XI, should he? Fmd he was a terrible death bowler for much of his career. He'd either click and roll a side or he'd get tattooed. Was never confident he would consistently deliver
Was much, much better at the death in his vintage. Just bowled outswinging yorkers at 5th stump and more often than not were too quick to hit past the infield.

Red

Not much love for Steve Waugh among the named teams so far. Probably the best death/pressure bowler around in his early years. Could almost include him as a bowler and his batting is a bonus imo

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Not much love for Steve Waugh among the named teams so far. Probably the best death/pressure bowler around in his early years. Could almost include him as a bowler and his batting is a bonus imo
Also invented Forkers' stock ball FWIW.

Red

Looks like Gilly and Junior are the openers. And that's sweet!

Time for a number 3. Clutch position. Really only a few contenders.

- Ricky Ponting
- Dean Jones
- Greg Chappell
- Shane Watson
- or someone else

All players can be selected in later positions if not here

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Ricky Ponting for this spot.

My whole XI is

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Mark Waugh
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Dean Jones
5. Michael Bevan
6. Steve Waugh (*)
7. Michael Hussey
8. Shane Warne
9. Brett Lee
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Victor Ian

International Coach
Maybe I have to go and check some stats, but for mine, Mark Waugh has it all over Watson. I remember plenty of matches where Mark Waugh was the winning factor with the ball. He could do anything. (Goes off and checks stats)

Big Deal! So watson has better bowling stats. That is because he has played in an era of Aussie crapness and got to bowl because no one else could do a job. Mark Waugh was Mr Reliable. Mark Waugh played in a team when they didn't need his bowling, but I recall him pulling out the efforts when the bowling stars were having an off day. Mark Waugh was like Symonds in that he made things happen with the ball when he came on. Waugh was worth a wicket per match in his fielding. That trumps Watson. Stats don't tell the story. Watto is Twatto! Watson's batting is crap. Sure he can hit sixes but you are comparing modern bats and boundaries rather than players. Waugh would have hit sixes along the ground with modern bats.

Watson's mere 9 hundreds to Waugh's 18 says it all when we are talking about a batting position.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Well, that last post was a waste of time, seeing as Junior made it.

For No3, it has to be Jones except that it really has to be Ponting. Bummer :(

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Would be an interesting exercise to pick an Aus team with players who NEVER won the World Cup. Would obviously be full of 70s/early 80s players (pre 87 Lillee, G Chap etc) and those who played in the 1990s but didn't make the '99 WC. Can't be bothered to make a new thread for it though. Any thoughts?

Red

Would be an interesting exercise to pick an Aus team with players who NEVER won the World Cup. Would obviously be full of 70s/early 80s players (pre 87 Lillee, G Chap etc) and those who played in the 1990s but didn't make the '99 WC. Can't be bothered to make a new thread for it though. Any thoughts?
Hey! It might be a great idea but if you cbf'ed making a new thread for it don't bring it in here! :laugh: