• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Australian ODI team

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
We've done this for the test teams, might as well do it for the ODI teams. Format will be the same as the last time, votes for positions in the team.

Format will be-

- 2 openers
- Number 3
- Number 4
- Number 5
- Wicketkeeper (unless already selected in the top 6)
- 5 bowlers or all rounders (unless already selected in the top 6)

Could get a bit messy but we'll work it out as we go. Think the format should allow for some flexibility as the teams progress.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Select TWO openers:

Adam Gilchrist
Matt Hayden
Mark Waugh
Geoff Marsh
David Boon
Shane Watson

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It is scary how good an Australian all-time ODI team would be. Would just **** every team up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This took some thought Arun Finch and Michael di Venuto but I'm happy with the channel 10 big bash bois as my top 3, meaning

1. M. Waugh
2. A. Gilchrist

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that much diffference really, so going for M. Waugh and Gilchrist as Waugh adds so much more to the fielding, plus he bowls.
Yeah good call that, probably would have gone Haydos but you're right, difference in the batting is small and Waugh definitely worth the nod for his fielding. This team is going to be ridiculously good in the field with some of the names likely to come up, Waugh, Symonds, Ponting, Clarke........whoever they play wont be pinching any cheeky singles that's for sure!!

Victor Ian

International Coach
Openers
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist

No3 Dean Jones
No4 Dean Jones
N05 Dean Jones

I don't care - but Dean Jones just HAS to get in.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson and Gilchrist.

Controversial yeah, but Watson gives us a real good 5th bowling option.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair I think it should be Watson as he does add a good bowling option but I cbf being fair to him.

Waugh
Gilchrist

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson doesn't get in here, will he reappear again in the all-rounder category? If so I will reconsider since he'll surely get that, but otherwise I'm going for Gilchrist and Watson.

An all-time Aussie XI has to include Watson because you can't rely on Symonds and Bevan/Ponting/Waugh etc. to bowl a full 10 against an equally strong all-time team. Until his bowling went up recently to its current 30.26, he was one of only two players to average 40+ with the bat and sub-30 with the ball in ODIs (the other being Lance Klusener). You do get more batting-wise with one or two of the others but the bonus in his bowling more than makes up for it IMO. With him and Symonds in the team, you've got your extra 10 sewn up as well as a couple of extra ones if one of your bowlers is having a bad day.

The team I'm aiming towards ftr is

Gilchrist
Watson
Ponting
M. Waugh/Jones
Symonds
Hussey
Bevan
Lee
Warne
Lillee/Bracken/McDermott/Johnson
McGrath

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Mark Waugh made runs against Ambrose and Walsh. Put Watson up against Ambrose and he'd be lucky to make double figures before getting out LBW.