• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever?

Is Clarke Australia's greatest tactical captain ever

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Equal with others

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beating an England team already stuggling for success isn't very impressive imo. Commendable, but I'm with those who rather wait and see how he does particularly in RSA and 'other' away series. As mentioned b4 it was not too long ago that Oz were mauled in India and beaten in Eng (admittedly the series was closer th 3-0)
So if Clarke captains well in SA but Australia lose is he a good captain or a bad captain?

And Stephen Fleming - I'm assuming he's a bad captain because NZ lost a lot of tests under his captaincy.

Spark

Global Moderator
So let's see, Tubby who wrestled back world cricket supremacy from WI and maintaining it vs superior oppostion is overrated but Clarke who wins one series vs an English team who shouldve lost to NZ isn't? Wow!!!
I'm not sure if you've noticed but Clarke has actually been captain for longer than a year.

Slifer

International Captain
So if Clarke captains well in SA but Australia lose is he a good captain or a bad captain?

And Stephen Fleming - I'm assuming he's a bad captain because NZ lost a lot of tests under his captaincy.
I never said that Clarke is a bad captain, I just took exception (maybe overreacted a tad) to him being compared to tubby and even some1 hinting at tubby being overrated. With the resources at his disposal, I would say that Clarke is doin a good job but I would like to see him captaining over a similar length of time as those b4 him b4 rendering comparisons.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tubby was a fine tactician, but it helped him, and Waugh for that matter, to have all bases covered with his attack.
Of course it mattered just like a decent fast bowling attack is helping Clarke now.

I can't think of any other captain over the years whose field changes have been so spot on over the years as Taylor. His reading of the game and batsmen was pretty awesome. The fact that he had a very good bowling attack at his disposal doesn't take away from his tactics. To me it always seemed that whenever he would change the field a wicket would ensue.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Clarke was woeful in India. Sure they were up against it and a level or two below the opposition in terms of class but that does not mean you change your batting order like a yo-yo innings in innings out. I know he is a bold skipper but playing Glenn Maxwell as your leading spinner in India is not bold its lunacy and I also don't like how he treats Lyon as the average looking but a steady girlfirend who he eventually went back to after his flings ( Agar, Maxwell, Dorothy, Beer, Pepsi Coke etc) did not work out.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke was woeful in India. Sure they were up against it and a level or two below the opposition in terms of class but that does not mean you change your batting order like a yo-yo innings in innings out. I know he is a bold skipper but playing Glenn Maxwell as your leading spinner in India is not bold its lunacy and I also don't like how he treats Lyon as the average looking but a steady girlfirend who he eventually went back to after his flings ( Agar, Maxwell, Dorothy, Beer, Pepsi Coke etc) did not work out.
Lyon is a few tiers below average looking tbf

Xuhaib

International Coach
also homework gate was farcical something you would expect to come out of Pakistan or Windies Clarke should get to share some blame for that.

uvelocity

International Coach
such a bad post

clarke didnt play the test maxwell opened. clarke didnt even pick maxwell as he isn't a selector. clarke didnt pick agar. clarke didnt pick doherty.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
such a bad post

clarke didnt play the test maxwell opened. clarke didnt even pick maxwell as he isn't a selector. clarke didnt pick agar. clarke didnt pick doherty.
IIRC correctly, Clarke was indeed a selector during the India tour. Didn't he stand down after Arthur was fired?