• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think this has a fair case for being the best innings I've ever seen live, but it's honestly got absolutely nothing on Laxman's knock. It's not even close IMO, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Blocky

Banned
That's not one easy reason
Yeah, the second reason came to me as I was typing out the first... the gulf in between these two teams in ranking is as much a reason as anything.

Sorry India, you're not Gods of Cricket. You don't possess the all time greatest innings nor the all time greatest players. If a guy surpasses your efforts as Baz has pretty much done here, he will get credited for it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that some people are comparing it the VVS innings is great imo. I don't think it's as good at all but that people are even attempting to compare it with that shows what an amazing knock it's been. Epic effort

Zinzan

So, bat all day, bat all night, runs runs runs.
Don't give them a sniff if we have any say in the matter. Nothing more generous than 400 in 70 overs for me, I wouldn't write-off this Indian batting line-up, particularly with the wicket looking likely to hold together.

Besides, there's only a 1 ICC point difference between a 1-0 and 2-0 series win and the McHessons seem intent on moving up in the test rankings.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the second reason came to me as I was typing out the first... the gulf in between these two teams in ranking is as much a reason as anything.

Sorry India, you're not Gods of Cricket. You don't possess the all time greatest innings nor the all time greatest players. If a guy surpasses your efforts as Baz has pretty much done here, he will get credited for it.
You are so annoying when you talk like this. Honestly find this post embarrassing.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Noted biased Indian fans Prince EWS and Slifer shut up good and proper by this.

OverratedSanity

What is this nonsense. We've been gracious enough to admit it's been a stellar knock instead of copping out and saying he had two lives or some BS like that. Stfu and stop insinuating that were not giving him due credit

Blocky

Banned
Let's see.

Later in the order after all top order batsman are dismissed? Check.
Much further behind in the game at the time the partnership started? Check.
Batting for a longer amount of time, in conditions that during the new ball were much harder to bat in? Check.
Having to bat against a much fresher bowling attack that had only delivered 37.2 overs on the trot, versus the Australian's who had bowled them out, enforced the follow on and already bowled 66 overs in the second innings before the partnership started? Check.

So far, we have a much more dire situation, who were further behind in the game, had to bat much longer just to ensure there would be a second Indian innings, who were batting against a bowling attack with hardly any recent mileage in the legs in conditions that offered a lot more for the pace bowlers than the Indian conditions offered the Australian bowling attack....

But yes, I can see why we can't possibly see McCullum's inning as in the same league, if not greater.

Daemon

I love how Laxman being a good player of spin and thus negating Warne somehow counts against him.

Blocky

Banned
What is this nonsense. We've been gracious enough to admit it's been a stellar knock instead of copping out and saying he had two lives or some BS like that. Stfu and stop insinuating that were not giving him due credit
Mate, try and read Cricinfo as an NZer when both the commentators and every published comment is about how bad the Indians are playing when NZ has been dominating them throughout the entire summer to this point.... only to see the comments
when India finally got on top, only to see comments now that India are back behind the game again

Sorry, but the attitude of "Our cricketers are beyond reproach and compare" that I see in a lot of Indians rankles me and to be honest, I think there are as many factors in the favour of McCullum's innings (longer time batted, more balls faced, bigger deficit, more runs, less experienced partners) - yes, the Australian bowling attack is miles ahead of the Indian attack, but conditions were a lot more favorable (in my view) for the Indian seam attack than the Australian bowling attack in Kolkata.

A sane and reasonable viewpoint probably wouldn't look to compare and rank, it would probably see both as equal innings under the circumstances, but I'm not sane in this regard, all the **** that McCullum takes day in day out by the general public, and his style of play being more suited to block and bash versus facing 500 odd alls, this is as much a top innings for how out of character it had been for his first fifty as it has been for the subsequent 230 runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Go and write to cricinfo if you have a bone to pick with them. Cricketweb is not Cricinfo. Pretty much all the Indian posters have graciously praised NZ's efforts here.

OverratedSanity

Also love how he keeps saying nz were in a worse position when the partnership started conveniently ignoring that India were 225 behind when Laxman came in .

Blocky

Banned
Go and write to cricinfo if you have a bone to pick with them. Cricketweb is not Cricinfo. Pretty much all the Indian posters have graciously praised NZ's efforts here.
With the caveat of "OMG, when will India find a decent seam bowler" and "OMG, Dhoni is the worst captain ever, I can't believe he's able to stay in the team with this terrible run" - but yes, lets forget that and how many posts have been related to "India aren't playing to potential"

OverratedSanity

Mate, try and read Cricinfo as an NZer when both the commentators and every published comment is about how bad the Indians are playing when NZ has been dominating them throughout the entire summer to this point.... only to see the comments
when India finally got on top, only to see comments now that India are back behind the game again

Sorry, but the attitude of "Our cricketers are beyond reproach and compare" that I see in a lot of Indians rankles me and to be honest, I think there are as many factors in the favour of McCullum's innings (longer time batted, more balls faced, bigger deficit, more runs, less experienced partners) - yes, the Australian bowling attack is miles ahead of the Indian attack, but conditions were a lot more favorable (in my view) for the Indian seam attack than the Australian bowling attack in Kolkata.

A sane and reasonable viewpoint probably wouldn't look to compare and rank, it would probably see both as equal innings under the circumstances, but I'm not sane in this regard, all the **** that McCullum takes day in day out by the general public, and his style of play being more suited to block and bash versus facing 500 odd alls, this is as much a top innings for how out of character it had been for his first fifty as it has been for the subsequent 230 runs.
Then complain on cricinfo's comments section. Not here

Spark

Global Moderator
I can't be the only one who finds it annoying that what should be an unquestionably great moment is being marred in this thread by a completely spurious argument, which at this stage is useful and relevant to about five people in the universe, tbh.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
With the caveat of "OMG, when will India find a decent seam bowler" and "OMG, Dhoni is the worst captain ever, I can't believe he's able to stay in the team with this terrible run" - but yes, lets forget that and how many posts have been related to "India aren't playing to potential"
Ah, I get it. Indians aren't allowed to criticise their captaincy or their players.

Makes sense.

Blocky

Banned
Also love how he keeps saying nz were in a worse position when the partnership started conveniently ignoring that India were 225 behind when Laxman came in .
225 deficit with 9 wickets available which became a 40 deficit with 5 wickets, versus 180 deficit with 5 wickets...

Daemon

Please quote these posts.