• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not trying to put down the effort at all but it would be hard to make a case due to the difference in the quality of the bowling imo.

Definitely up there as one of the best though imo.
Fair point about the bowling, although you could say a 3rd/4th day Indian wicket was hardly perfect conditions for McGrath, Gillespie & the seamers & also India had a history of playing Warne with relative ease at home prior to that Test. But yeah, still a more difficult proposition to Shami, Ishant & co.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
The quality of our bowling attack drops faster than Jono's pants when he sees Kohli in conditions favourable for batsmen.
And what? McWarne wasn't exactly a combination that covered themselves in glory in India. I agree they're a more touted bowling attack (how could I not? That's possibly the greatest duo in cricket, ever) but in terms of absolute rear guards and absolutely no hope if either guy lost their wicket for over one hundred overs of batting, this shouldn't be underrated simply because for once on tour, Sharma, Khan and Shami didn't combine to do the job.

GingerBreadMan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brian Waddle
"…and push for a win?"

BazCullum
"We'll sleep on that. We need to weigh up the fact that we're 1-0 up in the series and consider how far we've come to dig ourselves out in this match with the situation we came in"
So, bat all day, bat all night, runs runs runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So, bat all day, bat all night, runs runs runs.
they should at least still be batting in the morning, and will probably go halfway through the first session IMO.

Waddle sorta asked a similar question towards the end of the interview and McCullum gave a more aggressive answer. Something along the lines of that they'd consider declaring overnight.

Given how #aggressive McCullum is known to be, I'm glad that he's at least considering the fact that the series win is more important, and that a draw is still an extremely good result from the situation they were in.

OverratedSanity

Fair point about the bowling, although you could say a 3rd/4th day Indian wicket was hardly perfect conditions for McGrath, Gillespie & the seamers & also India had a history of playing Warne with relative ease at home prior to that Test.
Look, McGrath was deadly no matter what. Gillespie was brilliant that series. Warne struggled but was still Warne, FFS. Can't compare that with the attack we have. If you put Laxman in that form against this indian attack here he probably old be done the same as what mccullum did. Put Mccullum against Warne, McGrath and Gillespie in Kolkata then would he have done the same? Nah, imo

And also a team that took the first five wickets for under 100.

Watling and McCullum for near on two days were in a position that getting out effectively ended NZ's chances. Dravid and Laxman came together at 4 for 232.

I'd still put Laxman ahead of this innings, but not by much and by a diminishing margin if NZ get up and take India out here.
Laxman came in way before that. He came in at 40-1 with India with 235 behind.

Stop this **** you people, we indian fans are in a bad enough mood as it is without you trying to claim this is equal to Laxman's 281. :p

Great, great innings though, no doubt. One if the best rearguards of all time, no question

Daemon

And what? McWarne wasn't exactly a combination that covered themselves in glory in India. I agree they're a more touted bowling attack (how could I not? That's possibly the greatest duo in cricket, ever) but in terms of absolute rear guards and absolutely no hope if either guy lost their wicket for over one hundred overs of batting, this shouldn't be underrated simply because for once on tour, Sharma, Khan and Shami didn't combine to do the job.
I'm not underrating it. I did say it was one of the best efforts ever.

OverratedSanity

Calling it one of the best rearguards ever is under rating it?
But calling it equal to Laxman's is over rating it.
But as you said, let's see what happens tomorrow

Blocky

Banned
they should at least still be batting in the morning, and will probably go halfway through the first session IMO.

Waddle sorta asked a similar question towards the end of the interview and McCullum gave a more aggressive answer. Something along the lines of that they'd consider declaring overnight.

Given how #aggressive McCullum is known to be, I'm glad that he's at least considering the fact that the series win is more important, and that a draw is still an extremely good result from the situation they were in.
Yup, I think ultimately this is a maturity moment for himself and NZ Cricket. They have no reason to give India any more than 65 overs to chase a target here, considering how hard they've scrapped to get back in. If they gave India say 80 overs at a 380 target, I think ultimately they're taking a series win and gambling it, having fought so hard to secure it.

Bat 25-30 overs tomorrow, completely remove India from the game. I think there is a higher chance of winning the game setting them a six an over style target off 55-60 overs then there is setting them a 4.5 RPO over 80 overs.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What a brilliant day.

Snowed in here. Schools cancelled for the day. I was on my sofa yesterday and it didn't work well so I was at my desk watching for the first session and continued to do so all day. Went very fast.

If McCullum declares overnight though, I would scream. Just keep batting. If he gets 300, both he and the rest of the order can go ape**** for all I care.

But this has to be one of the greatest days ever for New Zealand cricket. This summer has gone a long way towards repaying many dreadful days for NZ cricket fans in the last 20 years.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Stop this **** you people, we indian fans are in a bad enough mood as it is without you trying to claim this is equal to Laxman's 281.
Sounds fair to me.

Can only imagine the mood a certain Indian fan that actually flew over to Wellington to watch this match must be in right now...

Blocky

Banned
Look, McGrath was deadly no matter what. Gillespie was brilliant that series. Warne struggled but was still Warne, FFS. Can't compare that with the attack we have. If you put Laxman in that form against this indian attack here he probably old be done the same as what mccullum did. Put Mccullum against Warne, McGrath and Gillespie in Kolkata then would he have done the same? Nah, imo

Stop this **** you people, we indian fans are in a bad enough mood as it is without you trying to claim this is equal to Laxman's 281. :p

Great, great innings though, no doubt. One if the best rearguards of all time, no question
Come tomorrow, if McCullum has 300-350 runs and puts India in, and NZ run through them and take a victory, I'll put this ahead of Laxman for one easy reason

1. The last two innings were all out for a hundred, they were 94/5 at the time this partnership started.
2. India are Ranked 2. NZ are Ranked 8th.

Days of Grace

International Captain
All this talk of Laxman vs. McCullum is premature until we see the result of the match.

Besides, we all know my system is the final answer to determining which is greater. :ph34r:

Daemon

Come tomorrow, if McCullum has 300-350 runs and puts India in, and NZ run through them and take a victory, I'll put this ahead of Laxman for one easy reason

1. The last two innings were all out for a hundred, they were 94/5 at the time this partnership started.
That's not one easy reason. It's also absolutely ridiculous to use that sort of reasoning.

If you think the bowling and pressure during the partnership was comparable to what Laxman faced then we can all just agree to disagree and that's cool.

But using your line of reasoning,

1. Laxman's knock was much better because India had been bowled out for 171 in the previous innings and 155-8 before they scraped through in the first match.
2. Australia were ranked #1 at the time and were the best team in the world by far.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

1. What? India scored almost 450. The put h has changed enormously since day 1

2) Australia were ranked No. 1.For ages.

But again, let's see what happens. If he gets 350 or something, there might be a case for it. Imo, if that it's happen, we should compare it with Hanif's rearguard against west indies . My bias prevents me from comparing it to VVS :p

Slifer

International Captain

Thank u!!! Finally someone with some perspective. Great innings by McCullum but sorry VVS' innings was superior. Without McCullum's innings Nz probably would've lost and the series still tied (not the end of the world). Without VVS' India would have lost the series and Oz won their 17th in a row...possibly staring down the barrel of a white wash.