• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spinner's question?

shahidpak

Cricket Spectator
Alright im new in this forum im a legspinner:
my leg breaks are good enough but i have got 2 problems

-I try to bowl the googly with my upper body bent and my arm nearest to 90° to the parallel to the groud. The line i bowl it is not a problem but because i bowl it out of the back of the hand it goes TOO high in the air and goes to slow.
Could any spinner give me tips on how to solve my problem but with the same action (or another one)

-Second problem (minor problem) My leg break is completly different to my googly, will a batsmen see what ball is coming by seeing mu action?

BTW im not too tall im 13 years old :p thanks (im new sorry if i posted in the wrong place)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are people here who will be able to help you better than me but whatever you do get a good coach and let him help you. When I was 13 I was considered to be a decent leg spinner and desperately wanted to bowl a googly so I got an experienced wrist spinner to show me how to bowl it and went away on my own and practised and got the hang of it - all well and good you may say but there was a problem - I never managed to work out why, nor did anyone else, but after that I could never bowl a leg break again - everything was a googly, so the world had to wait another twenty years for Shane Warne to arrive

Last edited:

shahidpak

Cricket Spectator
There are people here who will be able to help you better than me but whatever you do get a good coach and let him help you. When I was 13 I was considered to be a decent leg spinner and desperately wanted to bowl a googly so I got an experienced wrist spinner to show me how to bowl it and went away on my own and practised and got the hang of it - all well and good you may say but there was a problem - I never managed to work why, nor did anyone else, but after that I could never bowl a leg break again - everything was a googly, so the world had to wait another twenty years for Shane Warne to arrive
Wow youre scaring me .. no really but ive already heard this proble i think you have to practice the googly and the legbreak at the same time... This happens a lot peaople practice the googly too much and lose their legbreaks... anyway could you help me with the googly?? How to bowl it

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Alright im new in this forum im a legspinner:
my leg breaks are good enough but i have got 2 problems

-I try to bowl the googly with my upper body bent and my arm nearest to 90° to the parallel to the groud. The line i bowl it is not a problem but because i bowl it out of the back of the hand it goes TOO high in the air and goes to slow.
Could any spinner give me tips on how to solve my problem but with the same action (or another one)

-Second problem (minor problem) My leg break is completly different to my googly, will a batsmen see what ball is coming by seeing mu action?

BTW im not too tall im 13 years old :p thanks (im new sorry if i posted in the wrong place)
dont practice your googly yet- you need to improve and hone your stock delivery which is the leg break. Many young leg spinners lose their leg break after trying to add the googly to their repetoire. You need to build up subconcious memory of your leg break for many years before adding other balls- if your leg break is good then your variations will only have to be average for them still to be effective. Classic example was shane warnes googly- Kumble could spin his googly more than Warne but Warne was overall better due to the amount his leg break turned.

shahidpak

Cricket Spectator
dont practice your googly yet- you need to improve and hone your stock delivery which is the leg break. Many young leg spinners lose their leg break after trying to add the googly to their repetoire. You need to build up subconcious memory of your leg break for many years before adding other balls- if your leg break is good then your variations will only have to be average for them still to be effective. Classic example was shane warnes googly- Kumble could spin his googly more than Warne but Warne was overall better due to the amount his leg break turned.
Thanks thats what il do but when i was trying to ball the googly my shoulder was ****ing hurting i thought that was good coz maybe it was getting used to bowlong the googly but in future if i try to bowl the googly and after training it hurts is it good or not like should i continue bowling it if it hurts or should i stop thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
If I understand you correctly, you're bowling with a really roundarm action if it's parallel to the ground at 90 degrees? If so, either raise your arm up a bit or don't bother with a googly. The higher the arm, the easier it is to bowl a top-spinner and a googly, the harder it is to bowl a legbreak. If you have a roundarm action, it'll be easier to bowl a legbreak and very difficult to bowl a googly. Warne had the lowest arm of all modern legspinners and really struggled to bowl a good wrong'un. Even Stuart MacGill got his arm up higher than Warne, which allowed him to bowl better googlies that weren't easy to pick.

When your arm drops really low, your deliveries might become really loopy, and it's hard to control your pace. Nevertheless, if you love your roundarm action, just work on your legbreak until you think its perfect. You might be able to learn a flipper or a slider as a good variation a few years down the road, but a good legbreak is precious gold.

If you're afraid of losing your legbreak by raising your arm, work on getting your body to rotate more when you're into your bowling action. The faster and more powerful the rotation, the more revs will be on the ball and the more turn you will be able to extract off of a given pitch. MacGill turning the ball more than Warne was initially reported as having to do with a lower arm action, but MacGill's arm was actually higher. It was the amount of rotation he put in to his deliveries that made the differences. However, too much rotation can reduce accuracy.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, as said above your action will need to change a little to bowl the googly, alternatively you could just bowl the googly with a higher arm and hope the batsman doesn't notice. If you're really keen on the googly don't be afraid to practise it - but be very careful because you can lose the leg break, they say you need to bowl about one googly for every 8 leg breaks when practising to ensure you don't get 'googly syndrome' and lose the leg break.

However rather than doing this if you want a variation I'd try learning the slider, and if you're really dedicated then perhaps give the flipper a go, both are probably more dangerous variations, particularly at lower levels and they won't require a change to your arm angle as far as I'm aware.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Give up the googly till you are 18. Bowl a decent leg break. Then start experimenting with the angle of rotation. This will allow you to vary the amount of side spin and top spin on the ball and control the spin. You'll be able to bowl three less turning leg breaks on the off and then throw one up with side spin to pitch on middle and leg to spin more.

Then learn the front of the hand leg break or the slider. This is a finger spun ball with same grip. The result is a leg break which has bit of turn, but rushing on the batsman.