• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Creme de la Creme: Garry Sobers vs Viv Richards

smash84

The Tiger King
In all my years of watching cricket I rate Viv Richards as the best that I have seen. Unfortunately I didn't see Garry Sobers bat but a few rate him as the best after Bradman. Some rate Viv as the best after Bradman.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Viv seems to have a more well rounded record despite having a lower average. Sobers's record seems a little skewed by cashing more on the weaker teams.

Who would you rate higher as a batsman and why?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
In all my years of watching cricket I rate Viv Richards as the best that I have seen. Unfortunately I didn't see Garry Sobers bat but a few rate him as the best after Bradman. Some rate Viv as the best after Bradman.

Viv seems to have a more well rounded record despite having a lower average. Sobers's record seems a little skewed by cashing more on the weaker teams.

Who would you rate higher as a batsman and why?
Sobers the slightly more impressive record. But IVA batted in what a few have cited as the toughest era for batsmen (although mostly because of his own team).

A tough one. But they both pre-date me.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Both were wonderful batsmen, only Barry Richards of those I've seen are up there with them - which was better? Well Sobers was an absolute gentleman and immensely likeable, whereas Viv could be an arrogant tosser, and that's the only way I can split them

salman85

International Debutant
Both of them played before my time, so i only got to watch them via old footage.

But when all is said is done, i think Viv was a greater batsmen.Not based on stats alone, but i think his impact on the game as a batsman was much more profound than Sobers'.Whereas Sobers' was the most accomplished cricketer because he could do anything under the sun,but when it came to batting alone i think the sheer influence of Viv on the game pushes him a notch above Sobers'.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Unfortunately one of my enduring memories of Richards is him taken apart by Holland and Bennett at the SCG in 1984, before one of Bennett's left-armers finally crashed into his stumps. It's one of the few occasions that I saw Richards with a WTF look on his face;

5th Test: Australia v West Indies at Sydney, Dec 30, 1984 - Jan 2, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The point being that Richards didn't particularly like the ball moving about, and that some swing or spin bowlers got to him. It's just an impression I have, but I think that it's backed up by some poorish results against India/Kapil Dev (7 dismissals) and, some poor results against Terry Alderman (4 dismissals);

Viv Richards V Lillee + Thomson
Tests = 8
Runs = 678
Ave = 48.42
SR = 72.74
HS = 140
100s = 2
50s = 3

Viv Richards V Imran + Sarfraz
Tess = 6
Runs = 430
Ave = 47.77
SR = ?
HS = 120*
100s = 1
50s = 3

Viv Richards V Willis + (early) Botham
Tests = 7
Runs = 574
Ave = 71.75
SR = 77.56
HS = 145
100s = 2
50s = 3

Viv Richards V Kapil Dev
Tests = 19
Runs = 1018
Ave = 40.72
SR = ?
HS = 120
100s = 4
50s = 5

Viv Richards V Alderman + Lawson
Tests = 7
Runs = 153
Ave = 17.00
SR = 45.67
HS = 76
100s = 0
50s = 1

Did Sobers have a perceived weakness against any type of bowling? I don't think that he did? Fast, slow, swing, or spin - it was all the same to him.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion Viv was quite simply the second greatest batsman to ever play the game and I rate him closer to Bradman that most others would. Sobers though was no slouch and I have him rated just below Viv and that is because I believe Viv faced the better bowlers, batted on faster home pitches, dominated the best bowlers and I just believe Sobers batted to much at no. 6 and even though he had the better record he cashed in on some ordinary attacks.
Quite honestly, from all that I have read and seen the only batsmen who can even be rated with them are Bradman himself, Hobbs, Tendulkar Richards and Lara with Chappell, Headley, Hammond and Pollock just behind them.

Lillee rates Sobers, Richards and Richards as comfortably the best 3 batsmen he has bowled to and that covers quite a large era. That in itself speaks volumes.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think people would argue that both of them belong in the class next to Bradman but who was the better of the two. I tried searching the net about it but didn't come up with much.

Fred offers some interesting insights since he is one of the few guys here who have seen both bat.

smash84

The Tiger King
Both were wonderful batsmen, only Barry Richards of those I've seen are up there with them - which was better? Well Sobers was an absolute gentleman and immensely likeable, whereas Viv could be an arrogant tosser, and that's the only way I can split them
Fred, Did you manage to see Sobers play live?

haha, I think there is something quite attractive in arrogant tossers. A kind of aristocratic haughtiness if you are at that level and to me it kind of seems classy. Obviously it won't suit you if you're just ****

adub

International Captain
Didn't see Sobers so can't make an informed comment, but Viv was the King. That's why he came across as an arrogant ****. No need to hide it when you're the King. Just the way he swaggered to the crease was a challenge to the bowlers. Best I've seen.

smash84

The Tiger King
Cribb can go and suck both Viv and Sobers's :ph34r:

The only cricketer I have seen PEWS rate correctly is Imran :ph34r:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Viv has to be 2nd best, given what he achieved, the way he did so and the impact it had on the game.

harsh.ag

As batsmen, I loved Barry and Viv Richards. In fact, I always thought that the best sight I could see would be that of the two batting together. And when it finally happened in WSC, it was spectacular! Although I can't imagine Sobers being better than either of the Richards, my elders overwhelmingly have opined that he was. Although I don't defer to their opinion, it certainly sounds that he was quite something with the bat. The clips I have seen are, of course, magnificent, as such clips tend to be. He seems to be very much a gentler, left-handed version of Viv in terms of stroke production and balance on the crease, while Barry was more classical than these two. Sobers' drives in the V were simply out of this world!

fredfertang

Fred, Did you manage to see Sobers play live?
Sadly no, although as I child I thought I had - I went to watch my Dad play in a cup match when I was about 8 and I saw G Sobers' name on the opposition team sheet. They were from a higher league than my Dad's club and won quite comfortably and Sobers was only needed to come in at around number 5 and knock off the last few runs, which he did with great style - he looked like and batted just like Sir Garfield, but turned out it was his older brother Gerry