• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Don Bradman vs Sir Gary Sobers

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah, but for that, you would also need the ineffective bowlers of that era bowling to him.
Dear me. I knew you only started this thread to trash Bradman's efforts by downgrading his opposition. That opinion can't be quietened by the contrary facts it seems but can you at least spare us the tedium of going through it again?

smash84

The Tiger King
funnily enough that within 10 years time of Bradman's retirement cricket went through such massive change that it became an unrecognizable sport and Garry Sobers became one of the greatest batsmen of the modern era as his career ended in early 1970s :p

the big bambino

International Captain
Big change to cricket came with Packer, floodlights and the accelerating popularity in the one day game. That came about 30 years Bradman's retirement. Can't see much that changed in the period up til then.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
funnily enough that within 10 years time of Bradman's retirement cricket went through such massive change that it became an unrecognizable sport and Garry Sobers became one of the greatest batsmen of the modern era as his career ended in early 1970s :p
Was just about to make this point. Even though their careers are just a decade apart, Bradman is somehow made out to be from this primitive age where everyone took to the field merely to burn some calories and Sobers is the "modern" master.

Imagine if Bradman had the privilege of batting on covered pitches, tiny grounds, with proper protective gear, against the likes of Ishant Sharma and Mohammad Sami, with the ridiculous bats of today.
He probably wouldn't have an average :ph34r:

the big bambino

International Captain
Sobers was an AR with ball though and bowled in circumstances where Ishant would be useless and to the detriment of his average. In short Ishant got those figures bowling at time to optimise his wicket taking potential (bowling in India notwithstanding). Sir Garry when the work he did would be effective but not shown in his stats.

Next big thing in cricket after Packer was IPL dancing girls

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Comparing Bradman to anyone is stupid because he's a complete anomaly.
Somebody who can average 58 with the bat, bowl pace, finger or wrist spin and to be a ATG dhrtleg fielder is similar if not a bigger anomaly.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis would make a better 5th bowler.

And why is he the best cricketer ever? Bradman is equivalent of 2 ATG batsmen, whereas Sobers is an ATG batsman and Umar Gul.
One ATG batsman and aone good batsman TBH. Averaging 55 + 44 FTR. A Flower plus Laxman.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So this actually tells you average isn't everything then.

Really want to know if average aside, people believe that Viv is closer to Martin than to Bradman.

I don't know. No one can tell for certain if bradman was twice as good as Richards or 34.17% better. But his output was twice as good as Richards or any other great batsman, which is a fact. Lets just say bradman was a ****load better and leave it at that :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Q: What is the thing that if you have more than one of, you actually have none?
A: Anomaly.

DingDong

State Captain
sobers quite clearly or at least it's not as close as these aussie fan boys make it out to be

sobers averaged 57 with the bat and picked up 1.25 wkt per inning and i make a guess and say that a wicket is worth 30 runs so it's quite clear that sobers was more valuable. fielding and captaincy cannot be measured using cricket stats so i'll call it a draw there.

i'd like to see the smart arses of the forum like days of grace, pews gimh nufan or flem or whoever try to work out what the worth of a wicket is compared to a run

Last edited: