• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Hashim Amla be among strong contenders for a spot in the AT World XI?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He hasn't only had five matches not at three; he's just batted three in all bar five matches. In some matches he both batted at three at not at three because there are two innings in a match.

smash84

The Tiger King
ok, makes sense now.....

even in matches where he batted at number 3 in one innings he probably batted at some other position in another innings.....

friggin outstanding at 3.

PEWS, I think he edges out Herbie Taylor for the number 3 spot doesn't he?

smash84

The Tiger King
at number 3 taylor barely averages somewhere in the 40s. And Amla has been playing in that position for 7 years now. HW Taylor only played 10 matches in the number 3 position so what is your basis for putting him at number 3?

smash84

The Tiger King
i mean other than just playing 10 matches at that position spread over 10 years (which is not even half his career number of matches) why then will you rate him so highly?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
at number 3 taylor barely averages somewhere in the 40s
In an era where that was worth significantly more than what it is today. I don't necessary subscribe to the idea that Amla has played in a more signiificantly batting-friendly era than someone like Steve Waugh for example but Taylor is obviously a whole different thing.

HW Taylor only played 10 matches in the number 3 position so what is your basis for putting him at number 3?
I don't base my selections purely upon how well each batsman did in exactly the position I'm selecting them in; that'd be absurd. 10 matches was about a third of his career and he did better at #3 than he did elsewhere; there's no reason not to consider him for the spot. 30 Tests was a lot for the standards of the time.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is really quite amazing to see just how good he's become. I remember watching his debut against India (I think), and he looked like absolutely awful and like a walking wicket. The way he's come on since then is astounding.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Amla 2006 in that Indian series and Amla 2010 were chalk and cheese, and he's kicked on ever since.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, Amla was just awful when he started out. Never looked like he would ever become a permanent feature of a SA side