• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best of the Rest

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
If they played a world XI test at the moment it would probably be against South Africa.
So who would be in the World XI? And if you think the Saffer selectors have it wrong who plays for them?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Rogers
Dilshan
Sanga
Clarke
Chandapual
Bell
Chandimal
Harris (edit - had Siddle before)
Herath
Anderson
Boult

Looks about right to me, did that more on current form (past 9 months or so) than the last 2-3 years btw, some of it for team balance and potential as well. May have missed someone though, only did it in 5 mins

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

World XI.
1,Cook
2,Gambhir
3,Sangakarra
4,Younis Kahn
5,Clarke
6,Bell
7,Jayawadine
8,Broad
9,Herath
10,Roach
11,Harris
12,Anderson

The Battlers Prince

Rogers
Dilshan
Sanga
Clarke
Chandapual
Bell
Chandimal
Siddle
Herath
Anderson
Boult

Looks about right to me, did that more on current form (past 9 months or so) than the last 2-3 years btw, some of it for team balance and potential as well. May have missed someone though, only did it in 5 mins
That's a strong side for sure!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. Cook
2. Watson
3. Sangakkara
4. Chanderpaul
5. *Clarke
6. Bell
7. †Dhoni
8. Siddle
9. Harris
10. Anderson
11. Saeed Ajmal

My team would kill your teams hehe

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
My team would kill your teams hehe
Can't say they look too murderous on paper to me :p

I was worried about picking Cook after he kept falling for the outside of drive plan, and I felt the Saffers would exploit it particularly well, I didn't like picking Rogers after one series, but I wanted a balanced opening partnership and we are seeing a dearth of solid openers right now so I thought he was the best option personally

OverratedSanity

Watson? Gambhir? Pujara not even getting a mention? You guys are crazy

Cook
Pujara
Sangakkara
Bell
Clarke
Chanderpaul
Dhoni (just for that double hundred)
Broad
Harris
Anderson
Ajmal

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pujara - forgot he had opened a bit recently, I had him behind the middle order guys in my team but I suppose he is as good as any pick for opening, I'd like to see him outside the SC before I make my final judgement on him though tbh

OverratedSanity

Pujara - forgot he had opened a bit recently, I had him behind the middle order guys in my team but I suppose he is as good as any pick for opening, I'd like to see him outside the SC before I make my final judgement on him though tbh
Yeah me too, but we don't need to make a final judgement to put him in a World XI on form. He did brilliantly in the two series he's played this year, one against a high quality spin attack. Even on his debut he played a gem of an innings to chase a tricky total. His calmness under pressure bodes really well and I'm quite sure he's the next big thing for the Indian middle order. Kohli can gagf :ph34r:

TheJediBrah

I put Watson in there just as much for bowling as batting. Most sides have a 5th bowler these days and when he's in form Watson can deliver maddeningly accurate spells. If any of you guys have skippered at a quality grade of local cricket you'll know how useful that is. And how often it gets you a wicket at the other end. Plus he's an attacking option that most of the other batsmen lacked. Watson and Cook would be a good diverse partnership (although I could be convinced to replace Cook with Rogers) and having Dhoni at 7 to go on the attack gives the side a balanced edge for all situations!

The Battlers Prince

Well you have a point, this has been Cook's worst year ever, so form wise someone like Pujara or Rogers, though neither have a lot of test experience, could be used. Openers are fairly scarce at present.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
1. Cook
2. Sehwag
3. Sangakarra
4. Clarke
5. KP
6. Chanderpaul
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Harris
10. Siddle
11. Anderson

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
would go something like this:

Warner
Pujara
Younis
Sangakkarra
Clarke
Bell
Prior
Harris
Boult
Anderson
Herath

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a bad team though. Except for Prior.
This is a test team right?? So you want to pick Dhoni based on one miraculous double ton over Prior who has been consistently the best wicket keeper batsmen of the last 3 years???

And why would you think it strange that Guy from Lancs has 5 English players in this world X1 to play South Africa??? They are the second best side in the world mate.