• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rules That Need To Be Modified, Added or Trashed

Should The DRS (Decision Review System) Be A Part Of Cricket?

• Total voters

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are pretty much the only person I've ever heard say that it's a bad rule. Your opinion on the topic is so far removed from the greater consensus from my experiences, despite your straw pole of the local retirement village it seems.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Legalise ball tampering.

Abolish leg byes. You shouldn't get a run if you can't hit it.

Leave adjudicating no balls to the 3rd umpire (I belive Dharmasena is unilaterally piloting this scheme).

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
You are pretty much the only person I've ever heard say that it's a bad rule. Your opinion on the topic is so far removed from the greater consensus from my experiences, despite your straw pole of the local retirement village it seems.

I am involved with very good level Club cricket - I will come across a good number who have played, or are playing, first class cricket during the League season,

I also cover senior cricket which includes players who, as I said, have years of experience of good Club cricket.

Not one supports this Law.

The fact is Smith tried it on in a Test and the umpires made a stupid call.

This is something that has happened through the long history of the game and has never been an issue before.

benchmark00

I am involved with very good level Club cricket - I will come across a good number who have played, or are playing, first class cricket during the League season,

I also cover senior cricket which includes players who, as I said, have years of experience of good Club cricket.

Not one supports this Law.

The fact is Smith tried it on in a Test and the umpires made a stupid call.

This is something that has happened through the long history of the game and has never been an issue before.
Oh never heard that you're an umpire before :-O

uvelocity

International Coach
lol at you supposedly speaking for all serious players. i dont think youd know which end of a bat to use if it was greased up, set on fire and shoved in your arse

Riggins

International Captain
Legalise ball tampering.

Abolish leg byes. You shouldn't get a run if you can't hit it.

Leave adjudicating no balls to the 3rd umpire (I belive Dharmasena is unilaterally piloting this scheme).
I agree with this. I think it either needs to go one way or the other. Either no leg byes or leg byes regardless if you were trying to evade or not or whatever.

TheJediBrah

No, it shouldn't be a no ball.

From personal experience when playing (supported by every batsman who spoke on the matter - some of whom are now in their 70s but played very good Club cricket when younger) the batsman is not put off at all when this happens. The chances of them hearing it are very small - and there will likely be other louder noises that won't put them off - and the batsman will be so focused on the ball that they wouldn't see it.

That is the view of some hugely experienced players.

I wouldn't be surprised if within a couple of years there will be so many complaints from all levels of the game about thi ludicrous Law that in will be reversed.
Yeah it can be distracting. Very distracting.

Either it's a no-ball, or a becomes a free-hit after the fact. No other options are even remotely serviceable because you cannot allow someone to get a wicket from it, and you can't deny the batsmen a boundary if he hits one (hence why it can't be a dead ball.)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nothing worse as a bowler than going up for a massive LBW shout, having it turned down then looking on as the ball races away to the boundary after flicking the pad and going through the slips as the batsman tries to flick through mid-wicket - no good reason why the team should get runs for that.

TheJediBrah

You couldn't be more wrong.

Mind you, you're probably used to it.
Why don't you try and justify your opinion

Tell us about how it's fair for a batsmen to get out after being distracting from the bowler knocking over the stumps in his delivery stride.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Why don't you try and justify your opinion

Tell us about how it's fair for a batsmen to get out after being distracting from the bowler knocking over the stumps in his delivery stride.
If a batsman is so unfocused to the actual ball that they notice the stumps being disturbed they are probably going to miss the ball anyway.

TheJediBrah

If a batsman is so unfocused to the actual ball that they notice the stumps being disturbed they are probably going to miss the ball anyway.
That would be a good reason.

If it wasn't complete bull****.

Why don't they just make the bowler be allowed to bowl front-foot no-balls? If the batsman is bad enough to get out to the no-ball then they would probably have gotten out anyway.

And they should let the fielders yell at the batsmen as he's about to play the ball to distract them. Maybe give short leg a poking stick to poke the batsman in the ass as the bowler reaches his delivery stride.

salman85

International Debutant
Increase the number of bouncers allowed per over.

The game has become too batsman dominated off late IMO,and some balance needs to restored.Virtually every new rule you come across seems to favor the batsman,which needs to change.

The new 2 balls rule in ODIs for eg, is rubbish. The old rule was fine.

Last edited: